By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM boycott: no Metal Gear Solid 4 review

Boycotting seems rather hot these days...

Game-mag EGM refuses to review MGS4 because of restrictions from Konami. The developer supposedly restricted mentioning the 90 minute long cutscenes and the 4GB install.

Due to "limitations Konami wanted to impose on our comments", the editorial team decided to refrain from giving the game a score, and in lieu of a "review" posted a lengthy roundtable discussion about the game instead.

http://kotaku.com/5012146/egm-refuse-to-review-mgs4-because-konami-imposed-limitations

Around the Network

Kinda weird nowadays..Not good

I don't think Developers should be allowed to put restrictions on the reviews of their games, i mean its the reviews that tend to swing people in favour of getting the game or not! So they should be truthful and legit.

If you care about this (I don't), there would be more reason to boycott Konami than EGM... They're the ones manipulating reviewers.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I think hes saying EGM are boycotting Konami...? Maybe?

Anyway, fucking go EGM - honesty is a great thing this days and not allowing yourself to be manipulated gets big respect points from me.

Around the Network

Personally I find it rediculous that Konami lists these restrictions.

90 minute cutscenes and 4GB install are very relevant information for potential customers. I think they should at all costs be mentioned by reviewers. I absolutely support EGM in its decision.

I mean 90 minutes?!? That's a regular movie while your playing a game. You better have some serious time to spare when you want to play this game. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for good stories and good movies in games, but a complete film in a game? And that several times.

Some people have a 20GB PS3, for those a 4GB install is quite a sacrifice.

I do understand Konami, this is their most expensive game ever and it arrives on a console with only 13 million owners, but these kind of restrictions are way out of bounds.

I am buying the game and honestly I didn't want to know about 90 min cutscene.
I think it kinda spoils the fun of anticipation(cause I love the high production value movies in the game).

I mean don't do it before release cause the hardcore fans are the ones buying day 1,,,after day 1 say all you want I wouldn't care.

I think konami is right

besides this is MGS ,,,everyone knows this game will have long cutscenes ,,,,beside it's not a con,,,you can skip it if you don't feel like watching,,,If you care for story then you should love cutscenes.

@Spartan:

It's about the lenght of the cut scenes, not the content.

If you're such a big fan that even that's a spoiler, than you probably don't read (p)reviews about the game anyway.
It's consumer information that is pretty important to be available.

But giving low scores because of 4gb install and 90 minute cut scene is not fair also. Why Sony put the hard drive from the beginning if not for installs? I think these reviewers are accustomed to play 6 hours of game play and 2 hour of total cinematics thanks to dvd9 restrictions. The game play of MGS4 is 3 times longer then majority of games.

The installation is not important. It's getting normal. Also, in MGS4 there are several smaller installations (when starting the game and at the beginning of each 'episode') which could result in pretty short installations (that is, if they've done it the right way).

The cutscenes... I don't mind 90-minute cutscenes but I'm sure there are people who will. However, not all are 90 minutes long. I think the whole case is being exaggerated. Sure, they're long but apparently there's also more gameplay than in any other MGS game yet. That's what people always seems to forget. The cutscenes surely won't be good for the sales though so I guess it's easy to understand why they're not letting the reviewer tell about it. Not to say I would accept it though... They're limiting freedom of speech for a bad reason.