By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Eyetoy didnt became popular as Wiimote/Wii balance board did?

I just want to discuss this since gamer's perception change when saying Eyetoy was just a gimmick and then came the Wii with its controller and suddenly theres a stampede in E3 06. I just wanna know how a product became a novel.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

It wasn't bundled with the system, and it has more flaws than the wii mote.

it isnt as good as the wii-mote,and eyetoy doesnt work for all games

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

The eyetoy failed due to several reasons

It's not comparable to the Wiimote at all, the eyetoy is a peripheral, the Wiimote is a standard wii controller

As for why the balance board did better, I played the original eye toy game, it was ok, not great but playable. Wii Fit looks much better and appeals to a wider audience

^and will be supported with alot of games unlike eyetoy

Around the Network

EyeToy sold at least 4million units, I wonder why there wasn't more games made for it.

Does anyone have any exact figures for EyeToy sales?

Playing : PC  AOE, DiRT 2, Runes of Magic, Wings of Prey & Planetside 2  

Wii U : Nintendoland, Super Mario U  & Fifa 2013 demo

DS : Guitar Hero : On Tour

Formerly unknown as Vengi

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=2331

^maybe sony didnt let 3rd parties make games for it,plus that not really that big of sales to make a game from,cause its not garunteed 25% of eyetoy owners would buy a gmae that uses the eyetoy camera,but wii fit will sell a minimum of 12 mil which that is very good to make a game for,and as mroe games will be made for it,the more it will sell

Eyetoy only worked on some games, not all,
the wiimote works for all games,

If The Ps2 came with the eyetoy instead of dualshock it would have become successful.

^thats exactly what i am trying to say,if it had a big userbase to back it up,then it would have been supported alot

What problems did Eye toy encounter anyway why not it became popular? Its actually good in the vids in youtube I've seen so far? And yeah, what is an eyetoy? How does it work?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg