By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - will wii sell more then ps2 in japan?

I hope it does but I doubt it will.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

Might be, but than Wii needs at least some of the real Japanese blockbusters like Final Fantasy (main series), Dragon Quest (main series) and Kingdom Hearts (you get the idea).

Currently the only non-Nintendo blockbuster on Wii is Winning Eleven, and that's on all consoles.

Maybe, certainly not worldwide though.

---

EllensProphet,

I think this thread is about Japan. The Wii is only supply constrained in the US, however not in Europe of Japan, mainly because of the weak US-Dollar. Nintendo can make a lot more money by selling their Wiis in Europe first.

Regarding Nintendo's risk aversity -- this is a company that has seen revenue triple within just 2 years. I think it makes sense to be a little careful then. Nintendo doesn't have other divisions to catch up unforeseen losses - unlike the Sony corporation which digested billions of losses from the PS3. That besides the fact that video game consoles are generally developed and calculated for a life of 5+ years and every change that Nintendo makes in strategic planning now still has to be valid in a few years.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Erm, is it just me or is the Wii not behind the PS2 in that graph the OP posted? :p
And bear in mind that the Wii demand had been bigger than supply inch launch, and that the Wii hasn't seen any pricecuts, new models, bundles or alternate colours yet at all. The Japanese are crazy about new colours. :p

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
reverie said:
I think this thread is about Japan.

I don't think the Wii will beat the PS2's record in Japan.  Sony took the "sell in volume" approach.  Nintendo acts like the people who brought us the Macintosh.  World wide sales the Wii will beat the PS2.

The urge to play is a terrible thing to waste.