By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - will wii sell more then ps2 in japan?

There were definitely PS2 shortages at the beginning, if you switch to weekly charts, you'll notice weeks where PS2 sold below 20k, one week of which where PS2 sold only 2,000 systems in one week.

That is a shortage, I believe there was a fire at one Sony's major factories.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

Around the Network
Vanadium2k8 said:
 I believe there was a fire at one Sony's major factories.

If there is a fire at a factory then a shortage can be forgiven. 

I have noticed that even the stock holders who are insane have left the yahoo and google NTDOY stock boards for lack of news and dynamics.  If the Wii were not a revolution Nintendo would have bored itself into bankruptcy by now.  I doupt they will even make enought Wii to beat the PS2.  They will cower their way forward, timidly checking each morning to see if "End of the Wii fad" has arrived, and when demand finally petrifies waiting for a Wii to arrive on a store shelf, Nintendo will point and say "Look, good thing we did not over-produce." 

The urge to play is a terrible thing to waste.

Soriku said:
Well, isn't the Wii beating the PS2 in the same time frame? I also expect big games like KH3 and DQX on it, plus it has games like MH3 so yes, I expect it to outsell the PS2 in Japan.

if it gets those games it will outsell ps2

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
konnichiwa said:
brute said:
konnichiwa said:
^ Lolz, If DQX is on the Wii then we are talking =p.

well its going to DS,i think you might meen DQX

Euhm what?

o sorry my bad for some reason it looked like theyre was a I there

Haha'' Don't worry ^^''.   Somehow when I typed DQX   I also saw a I there, strange..

Monster Hunter 3 exclusive.

Yeah. 

It'll also probably get Dragon Quest 10 too, if the DS doesn't nab it (it shouldn't since DS would be on its way out by then...) 

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles fan for life. <3

Around the Network

Probably.

Unless the Wii begins to slow down this year, it should healthily outsell the ps2's lifetime numbers.

^it is slowing down,thats why it needs good japanese games,and maybe a price drop,or some new colors before a price drop

brute said:
^it is slowing down, ...

The Wii is still sold out in Northern Virginia.  This is a pretty wealthy area, fed by federal contracts and the bay.  No matter how many customers would like to buy a Wii, they just cannot find one.  Maybe there are 3 a month at every Target store in this area, and around 20 buyers.  It is June!  There should be plenty of Wii on the shelf and Wiifit right next to them.

If the Wii does not outsell the PS2 it will be because Nintendo management did not have the guts to make enough of them.   My bet is that Nintendo will never make enough Wii to outsell the PS2, so it cannot outsell the PS2. 

Also consider the the Wii is not as state-of-the-art a product as the PS2 was in its day.  It will be easy for Sony and Softie to catch up with the motion controller, and when they do Nintendo will be sorry for the install base it did not have the guts to grow.

The urge to play is a terrible thing to waste.

but its not sold out in japan thats why i asked that question

Ellensprophet, are you mad? The ps2 wasn't state of the art in tis day. Pcs were. The Xbox had more features than the Ps2. (which I hated to tell my brother since I was in love with my Ps2 and he had an Xbox for Halo.)

Don't make up anything that you want to believe and expect us to believe it as well.