By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "MGS4 has two cutscenes nearing the 90 minute mark" - EDGE

DTG said:
ArtofAngels said:
DTG said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
darthdevidem01 said:
YAY!

Just what I wanted..

Why....?

Why would anyone want that?

I was falling asleep just listening to that old guy talk about "tanks with legs" in MGS3, and that lasted less than 15 minutes.

I'm not a huge fan of the games though I guess....but still. Don't you think that's a bit much?

That's because the cutscenes in MGS3 save a few were slightly boring should I say. But the ones in MGS2 were far more gripping even after 40 minutes of exposition and I think MGS4 will have the same kind of dialogue. 90 minute cutscenes for me is exceptional, MGS is the pinnacle of video game storytelling for a reason.

Are you kidding me? MGS sure has good stories, but the pinnacle? I think someone needs a big fat juicy injection of JRPG's.

Frankly JRPG's have become quite archaic in terms of storytelling. They use the same cliche characters and plot devices they did 15 years ago and consistently rip off aspects of eachother. Exceptions to the rule of shallow & cliche storytelling such as Xenogears could still be faulted for basically ripping off half the plot devices from Neon Evangelion.

Yep, now we need MGS4 to show new heights of storytelling ineptitude. Kojima can't tell his story in the game so he has to do cutscenes. JRPGs had that form of storytelling down long before Kojima decided to explore that well trod path. MGS is at the bottom of the barrel of video game story telling. What saves it is that the gameplay is fun. My guess as to why you don't see a MGS movie is that no producer will touch Kojima as a director after seeing his existing anime style, overcomplicated, unartisticly philosphical cutscenes. The reason you don't see that crap in movies made outside of Japan is because most see it for what it is, bad storytelling. It is great storytelling for the unimaginitive, however. Don't want to think about what a story means or what it says about life, don't worry, the next cutscene will tell you! Just like anime. Don't think! We'll do it for you and then you can talk about how philosophical we are with your friends!

Oh Billy07, I am so glad my favorite philospher didn't just disappear. This sort of entertainment cannot be bought.   I hope you do a full write up for MGS4 for your website.  Trust me, I'll read it.

I give this thread a 10.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

@profcrab
most articulately put
and i cant help agree with all your observations
people are really confused as far as depth and complexity are concerned
and mgs storylines do prove that a complex story isn't always deep
people calling a story philosophical just because it confuses them a little is nothing but giving undue credit to it. a good confusing story is one which makes you think about it later, not a characteristic of the story line in question.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

MGS stories are way better than a majority of the stories in recent JRPGs. What is a complex story and what is a deep story? I get the basic idea what they are but I am not fully sure.

I don't know about you, but I'd think I'd prefer PLAYING a game in that time period. If I wanted to watch 90 minutes of something, I'd go to a movie. Hopefully there is some way to skip it.

I personnaly agree with those who say that MGS doesn't provide the best storytelling in videogames. First videogames should always try to use interactivity, to tell their story through the actions of the player, the environmnent... People have talked about Dus Ex or Bioshock, fine examples. Secondly, the cutscenes are okay but they could give less information, let the player use his imagination. Think abour Shadow of the colossus for example. They could be shorter and still tell a ood story, like in the God of War series.

Now that it is said... We all know MGS includes lengthy cut-scenes sowe should not complain. And personnally, I have loved all the games of the series ! Sometimes the humour is a bit strange, the direction is a bit "too much", the dialogues are a bit boring... But I can't help being taken by the plot. And by the gameplay ! I love MGS gamplay. Particularly those amazing boss fights. Or the way the game is playing with you (think about the end of MGS2 for example)... Well, i don't know wich score MGS4 should have had, but I know I will buy it and, very likely, love it !

Around the Network
DTG said:
ArtofAngels said:
DTG said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
darthdevidem01 said:
YAY!

Just what I wanted..

Why....?

Why would anyone want that?

I was falling asleep just listening to that old guy talk about "tanks with legs" in MGS3, and that lasted less than 15 minutes.

I'm not a huge fan of the games though I guess....but still. Don't you think that's a bit much?

That's because the cutscenes in MGS3 save a few were slightly boring should I say. But the ones in MGS2 were far more gripping even after 40 minutes of exposition and I think MGS4 will have the same kind of dialogue. 90 minute cutscenes for me is exceptional, MGS is the pinnacle of video game storytelling for a reason.

Are you kidding me? MGS sure has good stories, but the pinnacle? I think someone needs a big fat juicy injection of JRPG's.

Frankly JRPG's have become quite archaic in terms of storytelling. They use the same cliche characters and plot devices they did 15 years ago and consistently rip off aspects of eachother. Exceptions to the rule of shallow & cliche storytelling such as Xenogears could still be faulted for basically ripping off half the plot devices from Neon Evangelion.

Wow if Neon Evangelion is what it's ripping off I'm glad i haven't made it back to Xenogears.  That anime sucked.  Thought it was coincidental the red head looked exactly like her.

el_rika said:

I love the MGS storytelling.

The camera direction, scene direction and artistic & photography choices are second to none in the gaming industry. Really, no other game comes close to the level of professionalism shown in the MGS games when it comes to cinematic movie style storytelling which is easily on par with the biggest Hollywood movies.
Those are some astronomic production values right there. For a videographer like me, this is pure entertainment and film class at the same time :)

I find it unbelievable that some would prefer MGS games to downgrade the storytelling to Half Life levels.
MGS games show emotion and exposition is done not only through dialogue and quality of the voice acting, but also through perfect motion captured movement of the bodies and great choice of camera angles, making the characters as lifelike and emotional as an animated character can be [and dare i say, sometimes more lifelike than some real people ^_^]. It is the complete package.

I can understand how some are turned off by the rumoured 90 minutes cutscenes, i'm a little afraid myself (seeing how i'll probably spend a fortune on pop-corn :)), but make no mistake here - this is the ultimate storytelling, no compormises, just pure talent and pofessionalism.

...oh, and hy guys, this is my first post, don't wanna start on the wrong foot here, just posting my opinions and professional observations ^_^

cheers !

First off, welcome to the board.

Second off, I don't think anyone here is questioning MGS's visual presentation. Really, it is quite stunning most of the time.

People here are arguing over the rest of the presentation (dialogue, plot lines, philosophical implications, etc.). 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

On the plus side, most MGS games let you pan/zoom/look around for easter eggs during cut scenes anyway. I think the gameplay will be top notch. The cinematics are going to be epic as well. I still pop in "Demo Theater" for MGS3 from time to time.

I have yet to play MGS4, but I have this feeling that once i'm done with it, It will be the 2nd best Metal Gear game, With MGS being the best. I don't think Kojima will ever make another game as great as the original MGS.

SlumsofOhio said:
I have yet to play MGS4...

*looks at the calendar*

*looks again*

Join the club bruddah.