By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "MGS4 has two cutscenes nearing the 90 minute mark" - EDGE

I don't mind too much... if anything I'll just be watching the cutscenes from someone who put them up on YouTube...

...It's what I did for MGS2...

...don't hurt me.

Around the Network

Movies are approximately 90 minutes
MGS4 has 90 minute videos
MGS4 is a movie
Therefore all games made after MGS4 will also be movies

THE END OF GAMING!!

(and for the particularly slow)
/sarcasm

I love the MGS storytelling.

The camera direction, scene direction and artistic & photography choices are second to none in the gaming industry. Really, no other game comes close to the level of professionalism shown in the MGS games when it comes to cinematic movie style storytelling which is easily on par with the biggest Hollywood movies.
Those are some astronomic production values right there. For a videographer like me, this is pure entertainment and film class at the same time :)

I find it unbelievable that some would prefer MGS games to downgrade the storytelling to Half Life levels.
MGS games show emotion and exposition is done not only through dialogue and quality of the voice acting, but also through perfect motion captured movement of the bodies and great choice of camera angles, making the characters as lifelike and emotional as an animated character can be [and dare i say, sometimes more lifelike than some real people ^_^]. It is the complete package.

I can understand how some are turned off by the rumoured 90 minutes cutscenes, i'm a little afraid myself (seeing how i'll probably spend a fortune on pop-corn :)), but make no mistake here - this is the ultimate storytelling, no compormises, just pure talent and pofessionalism.

...oh, and hy guys, this is my first post, don't wanna start on the wrong foot here, just posting my opinions and professional observations ^_^

cheers !

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

Kasz216 said:
colonelstubbs said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@jessman

yuck....

Chocolate, cookies n milk FTW!

How can you not like popcorn!? What do you eat at the cinema?

Gummy Bears if he's smart. From the chocolate comment though i'd guess, candy bars, reese cups, goobers, milk duds, Whoppers, Raisenettes, Crunch bars.

There's also, Bottlecaps, Good N Plenty, Dots, Snocaps, Nerds, Sweettarts.

Or if you're more hungry. Nachos, Corn Dogs, hot dogs and Giant Pretzals.

Some places even serve Hamburgers, Pizza, French Fries and sandwhiches.

Maybe that's just the US that has all that though.

When popcorn (and other snacks/drinks) are priced at half the cost of the ticket (or more) I'd just say screw it and bring your own stuff and make popcorn for much cheaper when you go home. 

DTG said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
darthdevidem01 said:
YAY!

Just what I wanted..

Why....?

Why would anyone want that?

I was falling asleep just listening to that old guy talk about "tanks with legs" in MGS3, and that lasted less than 15 minutes.

I'm not a huge fan of the games though I guess....but still. Don't you think that's a bit much?

That's because the cutscenes in MGS3 save a few were slightly boring should I say. But the ones in MGS2 were far more gripping even after 40 minutes of exposition and I think MGS4 will have the same kind of dialogue. 90 minute cutscenes for me is exceptional, MGS is the pinnacle of video game storytelling for a reason.

Are you kidding me? MGS sure has good stories, but the pinnacle? I think someone needs a big fat juicy injection of JRPG's.

Around the Network

Well, JRPG's are overrated... many of them remind me of what I hate most about the new mainstream anime titles.

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

oMG 2x 90 min? I must arm with sandwiches. ;D

End of 2k9

PS3 - 28,000,000

XO - 34,000,000

GT:ProChaoS360

bbsin said:
FJ-Warez said:
Musouka said:
Here is what they said about the game (removed 2 points since they were near-spoilers):

- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways

Source (possible spoilers inside)

Well for one side is sort of bad, is almost the lenght of a movie... but since is just for fans...

The second point I think is about the graphics, the early trailers are CGI, the new ones are in-game, and there is a clear difference...

The early trailers were not CGI, it was all based on their game engine that happened to be running on a computer b/c Sony didn't send out the dev tools yet. The only thing KojimaPro had to determine how MGS4 would look like is the early PS3 specs, they must not have realized (just like everyone else) that coding for the PS3 was going to be so inconvenient.

It will be great if you can prove it...

But take a look, actual gameplay first, vs, CGI with ingame models second... look for the blood, shadows, textures and poly count at 5:45 of the youtube videoand 9:20 on the actual gameplay video, at that point is more noticiable the gap... and is shame but the scene in the graveyard doesn't appear in the new video, it will be great to see how they reproduce all the wind, blur, particles, light system...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
ArtofAngels said:
DTG said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
darthdevidem01 said:
YAY!

Just what I wanted..

Why....?

Why would anyone want that?

I was falling asleep just listening to that old guy talk about "tanks with legs" in MGS3, and that lasted less than 15 minutes.

I'm not a huge fan of the games though I guess....but still. Don't you think that's a bit much?

That's because the cutscenes in MGS3 save a few were slightly boring should I say. But the ones in MGS2 were far more gripping even after 40 minutes of exposition and I think MGS4 will have the same kind of dialogue. 90 minute cutscenes for me is exceptional, MGS is the pinnacle of video game storytelling for a reason.

Are you kidding me? MGS sure has good stories, but the pinnacle? I think someone needs a big fat juicy injection of JRPG's.

Frankly JRPG's have become quite archaic in terms of storytelling. They use the same cliche characters and plot devices they did 15 years ago and consistently rip off aspects of eachother. Exceptions to the rule of shallow & cliche storytelling such as Xenogears could still be faulted for basically ripping off half the plot devices from Neon Evangelion.

shio said:

MGS series are sluggish to begin with. The games are slow-paced, so using an interactive dialogs scheme wouldn't hurt, especially when there are already several scenes where it's pretty much conversations between 2 people, one asking and the other explaining. That way, it would allow part of the story inside the gameplay, even if there's no real choices in it (the illusion is good enough most times).

I think Deus Ex is a perfect example of it. It's as much story oriented as MGS yet they tried to have interactive conversations instead of only cutscenes. It worked perfectly.

Another thing to keep in mind is that interactive dialog trees leaves the storytelling at the discretion of the player. Don't enjoy 20min of pseudo-philosophical dialog? Then just end the conversation after you find out your next objective. But what if you love intellectual posturing? Then feel free to run through the dialog trees for a half-hour.

Such a system isn't perfect, but its far more elegant than what Kojima is offering. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"