Forums - General Discussion - The Official UEFA Euro 2008 Thread

NiKKoM said:
Neos said:
Predictions for quarter finals

Netherlands - Russia
Spain - Italy
Croatia - Turkey
Portugal - Germany

But Russia is headed by Guus Hiddink!! I'm actually Dutch, so I would like the Netherlands go all the way but you must never underestimate the power of Guus!

you know in my native language that means penis

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network
Cougarman said:
NiKKoM said:
Neos said:

Netherlands - Russia
Spain - Italy
Croatia - Turkey
Portugal - Germany

But Russia is headed by Guus Hiddink!! I'm actually Dutch, so I would like the Netherlands go all the way but you must never underestimate the power of Guus!

Now, I'm curious. What language is that?

Cougarman said:
NiKKoM said:
Neos said:

Netherlands - Russia
Spain - Italy
Croatia - Turkey
Portugal - Germany

Haha.. well I do now.. 

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

okr said:
Cougarman said:
NiKKoM said:
Neos said:

Netherlands - Russia
Spain - Italy
Croatia - Turkey
Portugal - Germany

Now, I'm curious. What language is that?

somalian

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
okr said:
konnichiwa said:
Just wondering....Didn't the B-team of Portugal played against Switzerland?

Yes, but so what. It was a win for Switzerland and they really deserved a win in this tournament, imo.

Lolz any hate or something like that?

Around the Network

Hate? What do you mean?

Just had a thought, Romania can qualify for the knockouts without getting a single win if they lose to Holland and Italy and France draw :D

Cougarman said:
Neos said:

Netherlands - Russia
Spain - Italy
Croatia - Turkey
Portugal - Germany

Netherlands 4 - 0 Russia
Spain 2 - 1 Italy
Croatia 1 - 0 Turkey
Portugal 2 - 2 Germany

germany will win on panalties 

i think portugal could beat germany

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I ma so glad the swiss beat Portugal today. It was so peaceful when I went shopping. There wernt any crazy Portuguese people honking their horns.

Thatmax said:
Just had a thought, Romania can qualify for the knockouts without getting a single win if they lose to Holland and Italy and France draw :D

That will depend on goalscore though, and neither teams have scored all that much. Romania has scored once (against Italy), Italy scored once against Romania and the French scored once against the Dutch.

So basicly you're hoping that no-one scores (other then the Dutch as that wouldn't matter.) And even then it's unclear to me who goes through as when Romania loses, all country's except the Netherlands will have 2 points and the same goal-saldo (provided no one score.) I heard something about Penalties?

But let's first focus on tonights matches:

Poland vs Croatia - Croatia already placed themselves, Poland has a slim chance of going through provided they win. With huge numbers. Against a very defensive group. Beenhakker is a surprising coach (Trinidad and Tobago?!) but he's no Guus Hiddink. Croatia will give it's star players some rest but don't expect they will be a push-over: 2 - 0.

Germany vs Austria: I'm sorry Ron but I don't see Cordoba happening. Germany got scared after their defeat to Croatia and will most likely double their effort to reposition themselves as tournament favourites. Plus I want you on Dutch side completely. 3 - 0.  

Edit: Just read this on ESPN:

Group C

Holland's barnstorming displays against Italy and France mean they have already qualified as winners of the group. But it's far more complicated for second place between Romania, Italy and France.

For Romania the task is simple. If they pick up three points against what is likely to be a below-strength Dutch side they will be through. Romania and Holland were grouped together in qualifying with Romania taking four points from the two meetings.

If Romania lose they can only stay in the competition if France and Italy finish goalless, but even that has conditions. If they draw they need Italy and France to draw also.

Italy and France, as mentioned, must rely on Holland taking points off Romania. In that event the winner of the Italy-France match will go through.

Should Italy and France draw and Romania lose, then all three sides will be level on two points. The first decider is head-to-head, and when three teams are involved a mini-league is created. The results for the Netherlands are ignored.

As Italy have a goal difference of 1-1 and France 0-0, then France cannot overtake Italy in the event of a draw. Italy will always remain ahead of them on goals scored. So France have to win to stand a chance of reaching the quarter-finals - any other result and they are out.

If Italy and France draw 0-0 and Romania lose, then Italy and Romania will have identical records in the three-team mini league. It will then go down to goal difference. If Romania lose by fewer than three goals they will qualify.

If Romania were to lose by more than three goals then Italy would finish second. If they lose by three goals it will be decided on goals scored. A 0-3 defeat will mean they have an identical scoring record of 1-4 with Italy, so the positions would be decided on co-efficient. Italy's co-efficient is 2.36 and Romania 2.25, so under the 0-0/0-3 scenario it would be Italy who go through.

However, if Romania lose by three goals at a ratio of 1-4 or greater then they would finish second by virtue of goals scored.

Clear? Basically, If France and Italy draw 0-0 Romania have to lose by fewer than three goals or 1-4 and upwards by ratio.

Now, if France and Italy draw 1-1 or any greater number then Italy will go through as they will have scored more goals than France or Romania in the three-team mini-league.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=546877&root=euro2008&cc=5739

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->