By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official UEFA Euro 2008 Thread

@Barozi, please stop this redundant discussion. Things like these happen in every other game.

Did you really want a red card for Silva and a possible "cheap win" for Germany? What about Lehmann then, who in one scene touched the ball outside the penalty area and would have deserved a red card, as well. It's called "ausgleichende Gerechtigkeit" (is this "poetic justice" in English?).

The Spanish team deserved the title. The final was a boring game, but this was not the Spanish team's fault. It was the German team who didn't know what to do to win this game. The German team (like the Russian one in semi-final) did not have the mental & physical strength nor the playing abilities to beat this great Spanish team.

Enjoy the fact that the German team reached the final. It was quite an accomplishment imo and the best this team could achieve.

Around the Network
okr said:

@Barozi, please stop this redundant discussion. Things like these happen in every other game.

Did you really want a red card for Silva and a possible "cheap win" for Germany? What about Lehmann then, who in one scene touched the ball outside the penalty area and would have deserved a red card, as well. It's called "ausgleichende Gerechtigkeit" (is this "poetic justice" in English?).

The Spanish team deserved the title. The final was a boring game, but this was not the Spanish team's fault. It was the German team who didn't know what to do to win this game. The German team (like the Russian one in semi-final) did not have the mental & physical strength nor the playing abilities to beat this great Spanish team.

Enjoy the fact that the German team reached the final. It was quite an accomplishment imo and the best this team could achieve.

Nah I think you misunderstood me. I do enjoy the fact that Germany reached the final. Before the Euro I thought about Semi Final as maximum. I am really glad that Spain won the tournament. I like the team very much and they play a wonderful football.

But it's not the game, that I'm so pissed off. It's about that single scene with the unfair behavior of Silva. Not that we could have gained that "cheap win". I hate unfairness in sports and this scene brings my piss to a boil. Believe me ;)

So let's add yesterday's result to the historical table:

EURO Statistics

Final

Third place match

Year

Host

Winner

Score

Runner-up

Third place

Score

Fourth place

France

USSR

2–1

Yugoslavia

Czechoslovakia

2–0

France

Spain

Spain

2–1

USSR

Hungary

3–1

Denmark

Italy

Italy

2–0 replay

Yugoslavia

England

2–0

USSR

Belgium

Germany

3–0

USSR

Belgium

2–1

Hungary

Yugoslavia

Czechoslovakia

5–3 ps

Germany

Netherlands

3–2

Yugoslavia

Italy

Germany

2–1

Belgium

Czechoslovakia

9-8ps

Italy

Final

Year

Host

Winner

Score

Runner-up

Losing semi-finalists (1)

France

France

2–0

Spain

Denmark and Portugal

Germany

Netherlands

2–0

USSR

Italy and West Germany

Sweden

Denmark

2–0

Germany

Netherlands and Sweden

England

Germany

2–1

CzechRep

England and France

BEL & NED

France

2–1

Italy

Netherlands and Portugal

Portugal

Greece

1–0

Portugal

Czech Republic and Netherlands

AUT & SUI

Spain

1–0

Germany

Russia and Turkey

(1) No third place match has been played since 1980; losing semi-finalists are listed in alphabetical order.

Next big tournaments: World Cup 2010 (in South Africa*) and EURO 2012 (in Poland* & Ukraine*).

*subject to change by Mighty Joe "le FIFA c'est moi" Blatter