By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft responds to Wii-owners upset with quality of titles

The only good game Ubisoft ever made was Rayman, so the chances of them putting out a title worth mentioning on the Wii, or any other console are slim.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

Around the Network

Well...that guy (Raide, UK Forum Manager) made it sound like there is no reason to make "hardcore" games for the Wii at all. It's just a casual box to throw all of your afterschool activities on, like sports, Babyzsitting, and hula hooping or something. Which "hardcore" games that were actually good and marketed didn't sell well?

"The majority may want something different." That still leaves millions of others who actually want one. When The Conduit gets released, who wants to bet it will sell at least 250k first week. The only way it could seem like Wii owners don't want an FPS is because NO ONES MAKING ANY!

Despite what he says, the casual market has always existed, its just that no one marketed games towards it, which Nintendo is doing now. If he ignores the games with Wii in the title, those AAA titles are selling very well (Twilight Princess, Smash Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, RE4)

Maybe if games were made that were actually AAA, they would sell.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Ubisoft just like many other 3rd party companies have trapped themselves in a situation where they now have to release hit after hit on the HD consoles even if they want a glance from the owners.In order to sustain this strategy they need to release shovelware which then makes it on the Wii.
Even though most of these companies barely make back the money if at all(hence the 3rd parties crying that their games are not selling) they believe they have no choice.
      The industry outside of the Wii shrank by 19% last year despite all the records we were hearing about.In order for most of these companies to grow they actually have to abandon the HD consoles,but as we all know it will never happen.To use "Blue Ocean" in this scenario is appropriate since these companies believe the current maket they are in is the vital one and look into the new market and see nothing for them.
      Meanwhile,Nintendo helps small developers to harness the new market and by the time the bigger stubborn companies finally try to actually make a real effort it might be too late.The audience will genuinely believe these companies are crap and will buy the alternative that they perceive to be better.
      Ever wondered how most big companies can't even get 3rd gen GC graphics on the Wii even if they tried(i.e.because they never learnt to push GC last gen as Julien Eggerbrecht has said.Also the DS as well) yet small companies after "studying the hardware" for less than a year have engines able to unlock all the features of the CPU and GPU.
      Please 3rd parties use your brains.Nintendo is creating a situation which basically cripples or even kills those who don't support them well.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:
HappySqurriel said:

Using the "Blue-Ocean" terms is it my imagination or do many third party publishers require that "Red Ocean" market in order to survive?

The Wii (and Nintendo DS) expanded the possibilities of what could be made as a videogame; including game dynamics and genres which would appeal to the conventional gamer as well as new gamers. Now some companies didn't know what to do with the Wii so they tested the waters with simple (party) games like Rayman Raving Rabbids, Carnivale Games and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics and were successful (in a large part) because of how popular the Wii was and how little the competion was.

Some companies have seen the value of this and have created worthwhile versions of conventional games, or new games in unusual genres; and most of these games have received decent sales for the quality of the title upon release. Some companies (like Ubisoft) lack imagination and seem to require several other publishers to produce popular games in a genre before they're willing to attempt a similar game; this means that they can never be free of the "Red Ocean" because they need to see the blood in the water to know they can swim there ...

Is that blue Ocean/red ocean strategy thing religion to some people here? :/

A better statement, is that they expanded in some directions and shrank away from others. The blessing and the curse for the Wii is that they decided to swim in the Pacific instead of the Atlantic Ocean. Isn't that a better analagy? The biggest fish in the biggest pond vs the two smaller fishers sharing a smaller pond.

The Wii is both inclusive and exclusive for the very things it is praised for. Control Scheme, Cheap price, Technology. The good comes with the bad *Shrug*

The "Blue-Ocean" strategy is just an excellent model for the market ... If I was discussing the Oil industry I would use conventional models from ecconomics and discuss perfectly free markets.

Edit: simply consider what would happen if EA, Konami, Take 2, Tecmo,Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all decided to release an NFL football game for the 2009 season ... The sales potential is dramatically limited so they have to take sales away from another game in order to see strong sales. (Red Ocean)

In contrast consider if EA made Madden, Konami makes MGS, Tecmo produces DOA, Sony produces Ratchet and Clank, Nintendo produces Zelda, and Microsoft produces Halo ... All of the games sell well because they appeal to different gamers (and gamers are more willing to buy multiple games). (Blue Ocean)

You seem to be reinforcing my point about how they both target different areas of the market. There is overlap but then again all Oceans in the world are connected to one another.

You will find that the best games of each genre appeal to a wider variety of people. The best games tend to draw people from outside the genres core audience and thus have greater sales potential.

Thats it for now, im going to bed.

Tease.

They have made a decent Prince of Persia game for the wii with decent graphics. Obviously they are not happy with sales. It's only $20 now, so if you want ubisoft to make more hard core games you should pick it up.

Around the Network
jlauro said:
They have made a decent Prince of Persia game for the wii with decent graphics. Obviously they are not happy with sales. It's only $20 now, so if you want ubisoft to make more hard core games you should pick it up.

Absolute Bullshit. 

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

mmmm...  things are going bad for ubi in that forum...

We are Wii....Waiting for Pikmin 3! and Pikmin 2 NPC...

Playing:

- Donkey Kong Country Returns

- Minecraft!

-  Venezuela FTW!       

LOL Kingwii nice sig

Wow you are all so bitter. If you want Ubisoft's games buy a 360 or PS3. If you don't want Ubisoft's games what are you complaining about?

tombi123 said:
Wow you are all so bitter. If you want Ubisoft's games buy a 360 or PS3. If you don't want Ubisoft's games what are you complaining about?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957