By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft responds to Wii-owners upset with quality of titles

tombi123 said:
Wow you are all so bitter. If you want Ubisoft's games buy a 360 or PS3. If you don't want Ubisoft's games what are you complaining about?

I don't think you understand the point of this thread. I don't feel like reiterating all of it, but I'll just tell you a little.

Wii owners are getting played by Ubisofts gaming efforts. Ubisoft obviously takes advantage of the owners' buying power with poorly made games, and use the money from those Wii games on the HD consoles. The comments made by them seem to present that Wii owners don't want any "hardcore" games and don't buy them, which can't be anymore short-sighted and farther from the truth.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

@Red4AEvil: jeje thanks..but, its not mine.. someone posted in the ubi forum... there are lots of cool signs over there..like this one:

Ubi:0 , AngryWiiFans:1000000.... ubi lost the battle.. 

We are Wii....Waiting for Pikmin 3! and Pikmin 2 NPC...

Playing:

- Donkey Kong Country Returns

- Minecraft!

-  Venezuela FTW!       

Bored4life said:
jlauro said:
They have made a decent Prince of Persia game for the wii with decent graphics. Obviously they are not happy with sales. It's only $20 now, so if you want ubisoft to make more hard core games you should pick it up.

Absolute Bullshit.

It's not AAA quality, and it's not shoveware quality either, so I would call it decent, especially comped to the quality of some of the other offerings from ubisoft...  If it's absolute bullshit, name at least 3 ubisoft games with better graphics for the wii.

famousringo said:
Hahaha, this guy really doesn't represent Ubisoft, but it's funny that he doesn't realize that he's doing absolutely no favours for Ubi at all. He just talks out his ass and tells potential customers that they don't know what they want. I think he's going to be getting some stern emails from Ubisoft's PR dept.

I kinda suspect that Ubisoft might be holding some Wii projects back for E3 or something. We all know that they're working on Red Steel 2, but no mention of it at all at Ubidays. They just didn't realize they were bungling things with the dearth of core Wii announcements at Ubidays. I get a chuckle out their PR floundering.

I was going to post my two cents on this issue, but then famousringo stole them and put them here first. Actually, this is almost word-for-word what I wanted to say (albeit more elegantly than I would have). It's a little creepy...

I will add this though: even if Ubisoft doesn't deliver at E3, Wii owners shouldn't fret. Should Ubisoft continue to insist on flinging shovelware onto the system, they will simply be permitting us to spend our money on the myriad of other great Wii games. Having one developer not understand the Wii isn't going to do us any harm (although I concede that the manner in which Ubisoft is proceeding can be borderline-insulting at times).

DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Right right, I understand saturation.

But it looks like Wii Owners don't since they're buying these crap games.

The PS2 went just fine ;)

That PS2 argument is so old.

PS2 wasn't marketed as a casual gaming system. The Wii is.

Nice change of subject.

No subject change here, just that, because the Wii is marketed casually, and the PS2 wasn't, that argument is irrelevant.

I was simply debunking your myth of the Wii = PS2 in terms of casual games.

First off, I don't really think the Wii is marketed casually. The games might be (since there aren't a lot of commercials for most Wii games) but Nintendo has pushed Wii commercials. Thus is it marketed "casually." That, and if you watch one of the first videos of the Wii, it has a guy (in a dark room no less) playing Metroid Prime 3.

Second, until a casual Wii game can sell 17 million like GTA:SA did (and WiiSport doesn't count because it's bundled, and WiiPlay doesn't count because it has a controller bundled), the Wii won't be as casual as the PS2 was. Also, there was another thread that was looking at some of the top selling Wii games, and putting them into categories, casual, both, or hardcore. It wasn't all doom and gloom either if you ask me.

Also, I think saturation is already starting to take effect. For every "horribly bad, but high selling casual game" such as Carnival Games, you have a decent number of "horribly bad, and low selling casual games" such as EA Playground. Course, I wouldn't know if either game is really "horribly bad" but since it's a casual game, everyone just assumes they are. EA Playground was also marketed a bit, both on TV and in the Wal-Stores on those TV things they have. But it didn't sell well at all. So either Carnival Games is actually better than EA Playground, or casual owners don't need to buy as many games as traditional gamers do. I think the second one is the correct one, because most casual users don't buy a lot of games, so saturation is going to happen faster.

And that's why Nintendo is going to move upstream. Try and get some of these casual users to become more like traditional gamers, because they'll buy more games this way. They did it with the DS, and they're doing it again with the Wii. It's already started (Mario Kart). But since Nintendo is the only one that understands what they are doing, they'll be the ones that make the games that are going to sell like crazy as the userbase moves up tier levels. The casual crazy is over! Time to move up, to bridge games!

Unfortunately, 3rd parties are probably going to be behind Nintendo by a tier this entire generation, simply because they don't understand what Nintendo is doing (note: read Malstrom's articles, it'll start making sense). That's why Nintendo will probably always have the best selling games, until they finally reach the top tier, and then the 3rd parties will catch up and be able to sell.

It's sort of like the DS. The DS top selling games are mostly casual games (the training games and Nintendo's for example), but since casual games appeal to many, many people, it's no doubt that they do so well. Then, Nintendo moved upstream (while 3rd parties finally started getting on board the "casual craze" that was already over). Mario Kart DS is a bridge game. I would say it sold decently. It still appears in the top 50, even after 2 years on the market! Then 3rd parties saw, and were amazed, so they moved upstream (Imagine: Babyz I would actually consider a bridge game). But again, Nintendo had already claimed much of the market, thus the sales difference for Mario Kart DS (10.77 million) and Imagine: Babyz(1.72 million) or even MySims(2.29 million). Pokemon probably represents a mid-tier between the bridge games and the top tier, and it's at 14.82 million. Sorry 3rd parties, you're late to the party. Then finally the top tier, with games like Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. And finally 3rd parties are catching up, with games like DQIX, The World Ends With You, and the many other DS games coming out this year. Unfortunately, the top tier games don't sell as well as the lower tiers (since they appeal to fewer people), so the top selling games on the DS will probably always be Nintendo games (since nothing will pass the likes of Nintendogs and Pokemon), so people will always bitch that they can't compete. Course, without the DS, Japanese developers wouldn't have anywhere to go (espiecally small ones).

So basically, saturation at the bottom happens faster, because even though the games appeal to more users, the users buy few games. Saturation probably never happens (gamers always are thirsty for the next thing) at the top, because even though the games might appeal to fewer users, those users buy more games.

So Ubisoft, just like many (if not most) 3rd parties, believe the Wii to be a casual fanfest, but will be to late the create many casual games (though RRR sold well). And once other, more traditional games start selling, they'll be too late to that party as well. 

Around the Network
jlauro said:
Bored4life said:
jlauro said:
They have made a decent Prince of Persia game for the wii with decent graphics. Obviously they are not happy with sales. It's only $20 now, so if you want ubisoft to make more hard core games you should pick it up.

Absolute Bullshit.

It's not AAA quality, and it's not shoveware quality either, so I would call it decent, especially comped to the quality of some of the other offerings from ubisoft...  If it's absolute bullshit, name at least 3 ubisoft games with better graphics for the wii.

Thanks for understanding the situation. It isn't strange that a game that's a rushed PSP PORT (and a 1st year offering) is one of the better offerings of a big publisher on a major system that's clearly superior that this...

That's why everybody is complaining. Ubisoft is developing crap over crap on Wii.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

jman8 said:

I dunno, I look at that and see a lot of ports of old games, pretty mediocre casual titles, huge franchises or spin offs of huge franchises. I see nothing there that indicates an obscure title like Beyond Good and Evil would do well on the Wii considering both Okami and No More Heroes weren't all that well received. Even a title like Prince of Persia doesn't seem like a sure bet considering that franchise is no where near as well known as Resident Evil or Sonic.

If by "not well received" you mean... almost as well recevied when the game was new (270,000 WW) and well better recevied by any game every made by said developer you'd have a point.

You'd also have a really stupid definition of "not well received." 

DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Right right, I understand saturation.

But it looks like Wii Owners don't since they're buying these crap games.

The PS2 went just fine ;)

That PS2 argument is so old.

PS2 wasn't marketed as a casual gaming system. The Wii is.

It wasn't? Yes it was are you kidding me? I mean Sony had like 17 Singstar games marketed.. and the only PS2 adds you see anymore are for Buzz Megaquiz and similar casual fair.. it's been like that for years... and largely marketed casual from the very start.

No difference from the wii adds of today. 

psrock said:
It's quite easy to undertands, i dont see the big problem. Why would i spend 20 million dollars on game for the wii that would sell just above 1 million when i can spend 500k ona party game and sell 5 millions. Third parties cant afford to make these games on HD consoles because no one will buy them, but the wii does, so they create the AAA games with the revenue they made selling the party games from the wii. It's win win situation.

Then why create games for HD consoles at all?  When you could put all your dev teams aside from one or two on the Wii and make more money making both hardcore AND casual games.

noname2200 said:
famousringo said:
Hahaha, this guy really doesn't represent Ubisoft, but it's funny that he doesn't realize that he's doing absolutely no favours for Ubi at all. He just talks out his ass and tells potential customers that they don't know what they want. I think he's going to be getting some stern emails from Ubisoft's PR dept.

I kinda suspect that Ubisoft might be holding some Wii projects back for E3 or something. We all know that they're working on Red Steel 2, but no mention of it at all at Ubidays. They just didn't realize they were bungling things with the dearth of core Wii announcements at Ubidays. I get a chuckle out their PR floundering.

I was going to post my two cents on this issue, but then famousringo stole them and put them here first. Actually, this is almost word-for-word what I wanted to say (albeit more elegantly than I would have). It's a little creepy...

I will add this though: even if Ubisoft doesn't deliver at E3, Wii owners shouldn't fret. Should Ubisoft continue to insist on flinging shovelware onto the system, they will simply be permitting us to spend our money on the myriad of other great Wii games. Having one developer not understand the Wii isn't going to do us any harm (although I concede that the manner in which Ubisoft is proceeding can be borderline-insulting at times).

I wonder if whoever is in charge of Ubisoft's Wii PR is having a nice weekend. This thread doubles in size every time I look at it:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9251049315/m/4081042366/p/1

The kicker for me are all the people wishing for EA to buy Ubisoft. That's some kind of a kiss of death, there. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.