By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you make a non generic FPS?

Every new FPS that gets shown, gets labeled as "another generic FPS". Whether it is Killzone 2, Halo 3, Haze, Gears 2, The Conduit, Far Cry 2 etc, many people will claim its just "another generic FPS".

What is it that makes these games so generic and why is it a bad thing? 

What would a FPS have to do to not get labeled generic?

It seems that the FPS genre gets labeled generic a lot worse than any other genre. Why do people think a FPS will be crap because you think it looks generic?  

Around the Network

People who call Gears, Far Cry, or the original Halo a "generic FPS" don't play many FPS games.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Make it CELL-SHADED

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Portal is not a generic FPS.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I'm pretty sure if someone created a Space Marine FPS that looked like 1930's through 1060's "Future Art" and didn't take itself too seriously it wouldn't be called generic ... The "Generic" comes from being able to name several other games which look and play (pretty much) exactly the same, and the game having basically the same plot.

Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
Portal is not a generic FPS.

There are plenty of "non-generic" FPS games. Shooters rely mainly on gameplay and there is a lot of diversity when it comes to that.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@rocketpig: Gears is not a FPS... or that was your point XD

OT: How do you make a non-generic FPS? Easy, be Valve.

darthdevidem01 said:
Make it CELL-SHADED

It's already been done!

Or have you forgotten XIII from Ubisoft?

BAOOM!

There are alot of Western developed game haters who are spiteful of the genre's current dominance and success. But they'll happily eat up "generic" RPG number 50 and still complain there are not enought RPGs.

FPS in many ways have been and are pushing the industry forward. Superior storytelling techniques(Half Lifes, Bioshock), graphics, AI, multiplayer. And it's a damn good perspective for immersion

A generic FPS is one that does exactly (or really close) what every FPS before it has done.

Halo 3 - It was Halo 2 with a new coat of paint which was Halo 1 with a new coat of paint. The gameplay in Halo can be found in any number of FPs games and that makes it pretty generic. I suppose it did at least have 45 player co-op which helped.

Gears 2 - Looks to be like Gears 1 with some new gameplay mechanics and color but still Gears. Gears 2 gameplay has been copied and done several times, but Gears pacing and gameplay still feels different enough.

Killzone 2 - Nothing about that games seems new.

Portal - Brought a fresh new gun to the mix

Half-Life 2 - Was heavily physics based FPS in a world where there were not a lot of physics based FPS's. They also introduced us to the gravity gun.

Bioshock - Plasmids brought a semi-new twist to console players and the atmosphere was amazing.