By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - what if the next final fantasy is bad?

@Sansui

Dirge of Cerberus didn't sell well and got bad reviews inspite carrying the name FF. So I don't think you are right about that one. If SE makes a bad game, people will notice it.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Around the Network

this is going to be one o fth ebest selling games this generation, quote me on this people

what if the next final fantasy is bad? = The End of the World.
Well, atlest the end of jrpg genre. =]

Just 5 more weeks and we will probably see new FFXIII ingame footage.
I wish release date would be Decemeber 2008. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

I couldn't except the fact that it would be bad it can't it's impossible! There seem's to be a pattern though for new released final fantasy games on playstation, FF VII was first for PS1 and that was a huge hit, FF X for PS2 was another huge hit, Crisis Core for PSP was a big hit as well, so that must mean FF XIII well be great.

But if it's bad.....then I think it would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe!

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

Johann said:

@Sansui

Dirge of Cerberus didn't sell well and got bad reviews inspite carrying the name FF. So I don't think you are right about that one. If SE makes a bad game, people will notice it.

Guess I have to clarify.... any game in the main series with the FF label.   Like FFX and XII, and the upcoming XIII.  For example, I bet Halo Wars will be judged more on its merits as a game than on its brand, just like Dirge of Cerberus was, because it is not a game in the main series.

Around the Network

A bad FF would affect mainly Japan sales, so it would be bad for Sony, as Japan is the market where take-off is happening most slowly. But I guess Sony is doing all it can to make sure SE does its best to make FF come off well, particularly for japanese tastes. From what we have seen so far, what could go wrong? Perhaps Uncanny Valley, but given that in Japan and Korea they like the current anthropomorphic robots, I presume they are immune.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

if its bad i'll kill myself with my ps3

@Soriku

I don't mind names of attacks being said.....but when the VO's are God awful...I mean they put FFX VO's to shame....

then it feels cringe worthy to hear them say the names

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@Soriku

I don't mind names of attacks being said.....but when the VO's are God awful...I mean they put FFX VO's to shame....

then it feels cringe worthy to hear them say the names

FFX's VA wan't that bad though it did have its embarrassing moments i.e laughing scene

I wonder, personally i very much liked the series part 4 through 9 but after ffX i somehow started to feel disappointed.

The question is what will sales look like even if the game does come out good. If you look at the series history you'll see a great boom in sales with ff7 Yet after that those sales have systemacticaly started to stumble.

FF 12 revered by some as "best of the series" sold 5 million copies. It's not a small amount any way you look at it, but that was on a 100+ million userbase. What about ff13 if it comes with a userbase of less than 20 million?

Saying that every ps3 owner is a die hard ff fan is a myth just as silly as saying that Mario will get laid with Princess P. in the next Mario game.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting.