By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will be in front of 360 by November 2008.

Paul said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
super_etecoon said:
I don't know if Sony will sell 5.8 million ps3s by that time.....

And you are suggestion that if that were to occur that the 360 would just stop selling completely?

At some point Rock-on needs to lose his membership to this site. He's giving all the credible "analysts" (like Leo-J) at this site a bad name.

PS3 will sell 9 million in 6 months compared to 360 selling 3 million in same time period. MGS 4 and LBP sales will be huge.

I don't think LBP will have any impact on PS3 sales at all and will be lucky to sell 1 million lifetime.

good thing we dont pay you to think.

Around the Network
Paul said:
I don't think LBP will have any impact on PS3 sales at all and will be lucky to sell 1 million lifetime.
It's very possible that LBP won't be a system seller in any significant way (though it's also possible the opposite is true), but it would be pretty UNLUCKY to sell ONLY one million lifetime. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I agree, LPB won't sell consoles.

It seems to be a very innovative game, but that doesn't matter, nor does it matter if it gets great reviews (which I think it will).

LPB is the archetype casual game. And casuals don't spend $400 on a console to play one exclusive game.

No way. At the rate the sales are going, it would take several years to overtake 360. Ultimately, I believe it will, but not until the end of 2009 at the earliest.

First off there is no such thing as a system Selling IP. One game does not sell a system, at least for any real amount. Libraries sell systems (past and future releases. Yes if you pump out enough AAA titles in a short amount of time it will boost sales for a period (look at this years Wii trifecta of SSB, Mario kart, and Wiifit as an example), But a single AAA game will not give any console a sustained sales bost on it's own. Yes Sony is building it's Library now and i can see 2009 being Big (GT5, KZ2, GOW3, FF games). Bottom line is if anyone thinks MGS and LBP(again a new IP with no track record) is goingto boost the PS3 into another level of sales this year they are being silly. Yes the PS3 sales should get even stronger as the year goes on but not this much. Also keep in mind that in the timeframe you specified there is summer, a naotiouslyslow time for the industry for sales), and you are predicting this before the years strongest period in the holidays.

Around the Network
phdesain said:
This week , PS3 sold nearly 30000  more than XBox 360. At this speed, it will close the gap of 6 millions in 200 Weeks, which is about 4 years. That makes 2012. At this time, if Microsoft is still interested in videogames, a new iteration of X-Box will probably been out for two years. Sony has lost this round, that's all.

Typical noob post

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Hmm.. i would wait for MGS4 sales. =)
Though, 25 mln. PS3 by the end of 2008 would be GREAT, but i am not sure, will x360 maintain at only 24-25 mln.
But, well, time will show, 299 euro price and PS3 - Must Have.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

PooperScooper said:
phdesain said:
This week , PS3 sold nearly 30000 more than XBox 360. At this speed, it will close the gap of 6 millions in 200 Weeks, which is about 4 years. That makes 2012. At this time, if Microsoft is still interested in videogames, a new iteration of X-Box will probably been out for two years. Sony has lost this round, that's all.

You take for granted the rate wont change....

Well I got news for you. It has changed and will change again.

Ps3 has outsold 360 1.6 mil in 6 months not 53 weeks like your formula suggests.

Holiday + Games + price = rate changes.

1-1.5 years MAX till Ps3 catches up... and MS will def. still be interested.

Hell if rates never changed the 360 would be 12mil in front of Ps3 instead of 5.8

PS3 boys are the industry experts

eliasg said:
PooperScooper said:
phdesain said:
This week , PS3 sold nearly 30000 more than XBox 360. At this speed, it will close the gap of 6 millions in 200 Weeks, which is about 4 years. That makes 2012. At this time, if Microsoft is still interested in videogames, a new iteration of X-Box will probably been out for two years. Sony has lost this round, that's all.

You take for granted the rate wont change....

Well I got news for you. It has changed and will change again.

Ps3 has outsold 360 1.6 mil in 6 months not 53 weeks like your formula suggests.

Holiday + Games + price = rate changes.

1-1.5 years MAX till Ps3 catches up... and MS will def. still be interested.

Hell if rates never changed the 360 would be 12mil in front of Ps3 instead of 5.8

Damn straight!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

eliasg said:

either contibute to the discussion or dont respond if you have something to add add it. dont troll.