By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So is it safe to say that Wii won the console war this gen?

winner in sales is quite obvious.. winner in quality titles, though i don't like to admit it, is yet to be decided

Around the Network

The king is dead, long live the king!

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

fuegonian said:
If Nintendo sell as many or more (hell even a couple of million less) wii's as Ps3's this generation its fair to say they're the winners!

In that sense Nintendo is already a clear winner. But IMO mainly because they made some bad choices with regard to the GameCube. With the Wii they made some genius choices. But it's not impossible the PS3 will outsell the PS2 eventually, making Sony winners as well, but to a lesser extend as the PS2 already is a huge success.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

*bleu-ocelot* said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Cougarman said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
trestres said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
Nope,not yet.Unless they attain 50% market share,then yes.

Hmm, just tell me, how do you expect Wii to lose this war? Cuase you say there's still a possibility Wii will not win...

Please answer me.

Current trends are not a reflection of future trends.What's popular today,isn't necessarily popular tomorrow,and their is still a couple more years left for this current gen.Even longer for Sony and the Playstation 3.

trends dont change midway in to the generation they change at the start of new generation

Then why does the PSP continue to outsell the DS in Japan,midway into the console s generation?

There are 9.52 PSPs in Japan and 22.91 DS'sin Japan. What's your point? PSP ain't gonna sell 10 more million in Japan. They already got served. They can sell all they want in 2nd-place-land.

It just proves my point.The "point" you tried to disprove.That current trends are not a reflection of future trends.*leaves thread....*
That proves nothing, I think you just got owned thats why you leave the thread. 

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Overall, it's games library is still piss weak unfortunately.

So much so, that Wii owners have resorted to hyping up grabage like The Conduit >_>

Crossing fingers for E3 though :)

Around the Network

@ yushire

It seems extremely likely the DS will have a much bigger install base than the PSP this generation of handhelds, but the PSP is certainly a success especially considering it's Sony's first attempt. By far the best handheld console competition Nintendo handhelds ever gotten since the introduction of the original Gameboy.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

*bleu-ocelot* said:
Current trends are not a reflection of future trends.What's popular today,isn't necessarily popular tomorrow,and their is still a couple more years left for this current gen.Even longer for Sony and the Playstation 3. What the Wii sells.The PS3 can easily sell if the right price was there.who's to say that the Wii wont slow down and that the PS3 wont dominate the market;one year from now.The PS2 appealed to the casuals also.

No, I'm sorry. Your faith, while touching is totally misplaced. Sony screwed the pooch this time around. And it seems like the current management is continuing to flounder around while trying to figure out what went wrong.

What went wrong is they didn't design a console they engineered one. It's all hardware with nary a sign of imagination or vision. They got the price wrong, they got the features wrong, hell they even got the look wrong.

Yes, lets design a big dark monolith of a console, price it about twice what consoles have ever sold for, advertise it with some dark violent ads, sweeten the deal with a video disk format that's trying to obsolete their DVD library but will look great on their giant HD TV, which they don't have. That'll get Mom and dad scrambling to get their kid one. Give me a break. Did anyone at Sony go to business school?

Wii is not the winner yet. It takes more then global console lead in hardware to win this generation. Xbox 360 is still the winner in my eyes, with allot better hardcore support and the fact that third party titles so far sells better on Xbox 360. One reason is a high attach rate on Xbox 360, but that won't save the box forever if 360 don't start to sell more, faster.

How much is Xbox 360 attach rate worth in Wii consoles when it comes to multi platform games (that Wii also has)? 3m Wii's, more? How much is it worth for hardcore games? 5m? 10m? more? As of now, it looks like it's just a matter of time before Wii is the leader in all areas.

If only the Japanese would get games they like for Wii that ain't from Nintendo, like Monster Hunter 3 and JRPGs, then the massive console lead in Japan for the Wii would come to some use.

MikeB said:
@ yushire

It seems extremely likely the DS will have a much bigger install base than the PSP this generation of handhelds, but the PSP is certainly a success especially considering it's Sony's first attempt. By far the best handheld console competition Nintendo handhelds ever gotten since the introduction of the original Gameboy.
The DS sure massacre PSP in america and in others though, we all know that the driving force behind PSP's success in Japan was monster hunter 3 and FFVII crsis core anyway 

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

As long as hardcore and old style markets didn't shrink, Sony and MS still have hope to fare quite well, but it's nearly impossible they win, the winner is Wii. Perhaps, giving PS3 a very long life, PS3 will be able to catch Wii, but in a very distant future and after Wii has gone out of production and ther will be already Wii2, should it go this way, PS3 would have satisfaction in its late years like PS2 is still having now, but, as opposed as its older sister, not having enjoyed leadership when its gen was the latest.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!