By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rotten Graphics, is it the Wii's Fault, or Lazy Sloppy Programming?

Argh, doesnt wanna work... but heres the link... thats what Wii developers need, a good talking to

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U-BiHdefxJU

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
The point is if you want to put a lot of effort into graphics then would you want to have 88mb of ram to work with or 256 mb-512 mb of ram to work with. Wouldn't you target those who actually bought a console for graphics?

As I said, that's tangential to what was being discussed. This discussion started when you stated an opinion which was partly based on the incorrect assumption that maxing out the Wii was about as expensive as maxing out the PS3 and 360.

Regarding the part of the argument you're talking about now, I don't think it works that way most of the time. Very few developers are really about graphics above all (Epic is an example, I don't expect them to focus on the Wii). Most developers will just see the Wii as a cheaper way to make their games, graphics being an afterthought. This doesn't mean they won't care about making good graphics, they still will, it just means that the choice of platform won't be determined by graphics.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

And here's another for your enjoyment...

http://www.homestarrunner.com/gamework.html

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

nine0nine said:
when peole say things like "the wii cpu is 3x more powerful than the gc", what exactly to they expect this to mean in real world?

If you look at some of the best box1 games they were stunning and still look great today and in my opinion, aside from the resolution increase the average game doesn't look that much better on the 360 which has a CPU thats probably 10 - 15x more powerful than its predecessor. Halo 2 - 3, PGR 2- 3- 4, Forza 1- 2, if these games look barely better on a machine thats so much more powerful, what do you expect from a machine that's only 3x more powerful?

I dont see the point in these arguement anyway, we all know that the wii is never going to do much more graphically than the cube and does anyone really care if thats the case?

I think Nintendo have played a master stroke with the Wii, basically forcing people to stop being so anal about graphics and show them games are supposed to be fun, not a lesson in physics, come next generation the sony and MS machines will have even less avenues for improvement graphically, no 'HD' to brag about and so on. Nintendo will be able to enter the HD generation to a userbase of people that actually already have HDTVs and will be able to utilise it.

First of all if you have a standard TV, halo 2 and 3 may look similar but in HD, no way.

Secondly, people seem to talk about how Wii is pushing gameplay and ps360 are only upgrading visuals. Do you know howmany fun features (especially in multiplayer) Halo 3 added on top of Halo 2? Much more than Metroid Prime 3 added on top of 2...

So ps360 are pushing gameplay as much as the wii if not more...but they look better when you have money to spend.

Good read overall Grampy, too bad people will not listen. We've been saying and explaining this for a while, but I still see people saying Metal Gear Solid 3 couldn't be done on the Wii

Also, Nintendo has a bit of fault, because the Wii SDK sucks. The first versions where pretty much copy/paste from the Gamecube ones, just change some clock speeds here and there and you're go.

Around the Network

Third party developers and the Wii...it never ends...

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

We all know the Wii isn't about graphics, but people keep on saying "look how good SMG looks", well to my eyes it looks only slightly better than Mario Sunshine.

So i don't know how good the graphics on the Wii can get but at the moment i'm not so optimistic.

NJ5 said:
Smidlee said:
The point is if you want to put a lot of effort into graphics then would you want to have 88mb of ram to work with or 256 mb-512 mb of ram to work with. Wouldn't you target those who actually bought a console for graphics?

As I said, that's tangential to what was being discussed. This discussion started when you stated an opinion which was partly based on the incorrect assumption that maxing out the Wii was about as expensive as maxing out the PS3 and 360.

Regarding the part of the argument you're talking about now, I don't think it works that way most of the time. Very few developers are really about graphics above all (Epic is an example, I don't expect them to focus on the Wii). Most developers will just see the Wii as a cheaper way to make their games, graphics being an afterthought. This doesn't mean they won't care about making good graphics, they still will, it just means that the choice of platform won't be determined by graphics.

So when it comes, for example, developing GT5 you believe it would be cheaper to cram the game into 88mb of ram than into 256mb -512mb of ram? Maxing out any system requires lots of time and effort. Now the Big N has a real motive in trying to max out the Wii as they aren't just selling a game but also their system. I wouldn't expect those outside of the Big N to waste too much resources trying to do the same. It the same with games on multiplatform.

@fazz,

It's not any person or companies fault that people will not listen. Some people do not want to be enlighten. The want to hang on to their belief at all cost.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Smidlee, how much do you really know about video game development? HD development cost more per art assets than Wii games do simply because the texture resolutions are much higher (don't confuse that with output resolution). You ask any developer (or at least the ones I've talked to) and they will tell the high resolution texture art is what has exponentially increased development costs.

A graphically high end Wii game will still cost less to develop than a graphically low to mid range HD game.

The rEVOLution is not being televised