By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rotten Graphics, is it the Wii's Fault, or Lazy Sloppy Programming?

so: it's 3 gamecubes duck-taped together? J/K
anyway, It's obvious, and has been, that developers are just wanting to make a quick buck.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

That is backwards thinking to say that the graphical quality of games is ultimately determined by the non-gaming stockholders.

If the stockholders in question are non-gamers, then they neither know, nor care about such technical aspects so long as the producing company continues to post profits and growth.

What next? Stockholders are ultimately the ones who determine how "fun" a given producer's games are?

No. It's the people playing and buying them who determine what sells, whether it's dreck or quality product. The companies are only responsible for keeping production costs in check and producing projects in time to maintain profitability. Stockholders will follow by investing in the companies with the strongest financials or most promising upcoming product line ups.

There are no "suicidal moves" being committed here if the games, regardless of how they look, or what demographic they're targeted at, continue to sell, even if they're being "snuck by" a less savvy demographic that isn't as discriminating about what they play so long as they're having fun. There is no dictating what a player/consumer enjoys playing.

Darc Requiem said:
Quite a few developers have been quoted complaining about how the Wii can't do certain effects that the Gamecube is capable of due to their ignorance of the architecture.
This NEEDS to be Qed for T, so I did.

And on a side note, the last time I saw a big thread on this subject, Rogue Squadron 2 was also brought up, and it made me interested enough that next time I saw a used copy on sale I bought it.  I don't regret the purchase. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

ion-storm said:
Darc Requiem said:
ion-storm said:
Why another thread telling us about the awesome power of the Wii. The Wii cannot produce graphics that are incredible for this day and age. It was never designed to. Since we have been told so many times it's all about gameplay over graphics and about the casual consumer who don't really care about graphics either... why bother? Even Wii sports the showcase game sets terrible graphical standards. Wii sports is the accepted look for a Wii game. I think if Wii sports were to feature decent graphics then you would see developers pushing the Wii harder. A case of less is more perhaps? If you want graphics go for the 360 or PS3 or a high end PC

Did you even read the thread? If you haven't read it. If you have read it again. The focus of this thread is not why can't Wii produce visuals on par with the 360 and PS3 because it can't. The crux of issue is the fact that inspite of the Wii being more powerful than the Gamecube, PS2, and original X-box, developers continue to put substandard games that look worse than Dreamcast titles. There has yet to be a 3rd party Wii title that surpasses Rogue Squardon 2 on GC in graphical quality and that was a launch title for Gamecube.

Naturally I read the thread. The whole point of my post was that whilst the Wii is more powerful, the success of Wii sports and Wii play has shown developers that there is completely no need to produce Wii games with hardware pushing visuals. Wii sports sets the visual tone for other games to follow. This is the only visual quality bar that developers need to match up to. Once that is met there is simply no need for them to push resources into graphics enhancement as most people are happy with it. I'm sure most of them have also assumed that most people who want system pushing graphics are going to buy a PS3 or 360. Another reason for them not to waste resources on graphics development for Wii.

Don't blame developers for not pushing the hardware, blame Wii sports for setting the entry bar so low.

The list that Grampy posted earlier shows this. Only 3 of these games have good graphics, the first 3.

RE4 Wii

No more Heroes
RE Umbrella chronicles
Guitar Heroes III
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Carnival Games
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
My Sims
Rayman Raving Rabbids

Red Steel

I am sorry but that's bullshit. Using your logic, the 360 titles would still be PS2 ports running in HD becuase launch titles set the bar so low. 

ToastyJaguar said:
We all know the Wii isn't about graphics, but people keep on saying "look how good SMG looks", well to my eyes it looks only slightly better than Mario Sunshine.

So i don't know how good the graphics on the Wii can get but at the moment i'm not so optimistic.

Post the best Mario Sunshine screenshot you can find.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
ion-storm said:
Darc Requiem said:
ion-storm said:
Why another thread telling us about the awesome power of the Wii. The Wii cannot produce graphics that are incredible for this day and age. It was never designed to. Since we have been told so many times it's all about gameplay over graphics and about the casual consumer who don't really care about graphics either... why bother? Even Wii sports the showcase game sets terrible graphical standards. Wii sports is the accepted look for a Wii game. I think if Wii sports were to feature decent graphics then you would see developers pushing the Wii harder. A case of less is more perhaps? If you want graphics go for the 360 or PS3 or a high end PC

Did you even read the thread? If you haven't read it. If you have read it again. The focus of this thread is not why can't Wii produce visuals on par with the 360 and PS3 because it can't. The crux of issue is the fact that inspite of the Wii being more powerful than the Gamecube, PS2, and original X-box, developers continue to put substandard games that look worse than Dreamcast titles. There has yet to be a 3rd party Wii title that surpasses Rogue Squardon 2 on GC in graphical quality and that was a launch title for Gamecube.

Naturally I read the thread. The whole point of my post was that whilst the Wii is more powerful, the success of Wii sports and Wii play has shown developers that there is completely no need to produce Wii games with hardware pushing visuals. Wii sports sets the visual tone for other games to follow. This is the only visual quality bar that developers need to match up to. Once that is met there is simply no need for them to push resources into graphics enhancement as most people are happy with it. I'm sure most of them have also assumed that most people who want system pushing graphics are going to buy a PS3 or 360. Another reason for them not to waste resources on graphics development for Wii.

Don't blame developers for not pushing the hardware, blame Wii sports for setting the entry bar so low.

The list that Grampy posted earlier shows this. Only 3 of these games have good graphics, the first 3.

RE4 Wii

No more Heroes
RE Umbrella chronicles
Guitar Heroes III
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Carnival Games
My Sims
Rayman Raving Rabbids

Red Steel

I am sorry but that's bullshit. Using your logic, the 360 titles would still be PS2 ports running in HD becuase launch titles set the bar so low. 

Most people who bought the PS3 and Wii expect graphics and technology to be pushed. Do you think most people who love wii sports, wii play, mario and sonic, carnival games and wii fit expect the same? The other problem is that Wii sports is also a pack in. That's the standard everyone who gets a new Wii is introduced to. People who buy a PS360 generally get a recent game with it.

I also know several people who own both a 360 and a wii and they expect the 360 games to have great graphics but are perfectly satisfied with wii games looking like those standards. The PS360 is sold on the promise of awesome graphics and technology, the Wii is not. I know many people here play their Wii's a lot and perhaps every day. Everyone I know in real life plays the wii generally only when friends are around for some simple fun. This does not require good graphics but still sells games. On a Wii using the Wii mote in a creative way is the greatest way of selling a game, on PS360 having even better graphics than the last fps is a great way of getting interest in the game.

People will buy average looking Wii games and love them. PS360 owners generally want the latest and greatest. I know I do.

People will rip into a PS360 game for not having good graphics, on Wii no one really cares so much (In the majority of the general public).

Yes

lol... it really is a discussion involving graphical tech comparisons to the Xbox 1?

I loved the use of language in the thread head-line, "rotten graphics". Lol, funny.

Not being a massive fan of the Wii myself but having played it enough to know that it is definitely the developers fault for rushing games to the market to get in on the profits quick, simple as that.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

ion-storm said:
Darc Requiem said:
ion-storm said:

RE4 Wii

No more Heroes
RE Umbrella chronicles
Guitar Heroes III
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Carnival Games
My Sims
Rayman Raving Rabbids

Red Steel

RE4 Wii as shocking graphics comparable to the latest PS2 games. 

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Looks like Fatal Frame IV will have truly rotten graphics, just in a good way ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957