By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is "The Conduit" A must buy for you?

Now, I am probably going to get a few arrows my way for saying this, but...

I watched a tech video for "The Conduit" (the one with a little pool with a fish in it and some armour and helmets etc) and downloaded all the pics I could find for it.

I am afraid I don't find it very impressive. People like to compare it to 360/PS3 games, but honestly if I saw a trailer/pics for a PS3 game that looked like that I would have to rub and eyes and take a second look because they seem very crusty. It looks like they have bump mapping and specular lighting, which are cool (but have been possible on the Geforce 2/3 for how many years now?). Also, localized shadows seem to be completely missing, and for me, dynamic lighting is what sells the scene.

Good for Wii, but not great in general. Personally, I think Super Mario Galaxy looks much nicer :)

(I am an unashamed graphics geek. Graphics tech = my hobby.)

Around the Network

if the hype for this game comes true, then yes, it is a must buy for me.

HappySqurriel said:
disolitude said:
melbye said:
As long as it's good, of course. It would be nice to play a great FPS again, considering COD4, Orange Box and Halo3 was a massive disappointment after playing the extremely more superior Metroid Prime 3. It's funny how much difference the Wiimote makes, it makes playing with a traditional controller a painful experience

Thats like saying... "this sushi is so much better becuase I get to eat it with chopsticks"

If you other alternative is to eat it with a spoon that is covered in feces that would be the correct analogy ...

For novice players maybe...its easier to point than use thumbs when you start playing FPS games at first.

Nevertheless, all I was saying is that control mechanism doesn't make COD, Orange box and Halo 3 dissapointing as games...just harder to control if you're used to wiimote. I personally would take xbox pad over wiimote for halo anyday as its tried and tested to be awesome.

Hmm.. don't know much about this game..

Is there any source of information about it? And when is the release date, if it hasn't been released yet?

MK7!! 3DS friend code: 0688 - 5579 - 0994

Also playing DotA2 beta!

So far, The Conduit and Mad World are at the top of my anticipation "gotta get it" list. Watching the trailer for The Conduit was fairly average for the most part, but the action was fast, the graphics were so far good for a Wii game, and it looked like it controlled smoothly. What sold me, though, was the solid animation and thrilling final seconds of the video when a large alien creature walked up through a hole in the side of a building. That animation was just fucking beautiful. I watched that a dozen times at least.

Also, I believe we may be able to put some trust in High Voltage. They clearly hoarded money they made from being forced to put out licensed crap and two upcoming Wii Ware titles from them, Gyrostarr and Animales De La Muerte, both look to be of a sufficient quality. Remember, there's a lot of companies out there that developed licensed shlock in order to better grow as a company to make the higher quality titles that they wanted to make--like Treasure for instance. That's one of the best development studios in the world.

Around the Network
Resident_Hazard said:

Also, I believe we may be able to put some trust in High Voltage. They clearly hoarded money they made from being forced to put out licensed crap and two upcoming Wii Ware titles from them, Gyrostarr and Animales De La Muerte, both look to be of a sufficient quality. Remember, there's a lot of companies out there that developed licensed shlock in order to better grow as a company to make the higher quality titles that they wanted to make--like Treasure for instance. That's one of the best development studios in the world.

Not the best example. Treasure didn't start out by making licensed crap, they started out by creating the Contra and Castlevania series at Konami and then heading out on their own to make some of the best games on the Genesis. On top of that, Treasure has a pretty good record at making some of the best licensed games out there, including Astro Boy: Omega Factor and the Bleach fighting series. High Voltage has developed nothing but crap outside of Hunter the Reckoning, which was pretty solid.

I'm optimistic about this Conduit game myself, but to call it a must buy at this point of such little information is just odd. Maybe this only seems like a must buy for FPS starved Wii-only gamers, but anyone with a PC, PS3 or 360 probably has access to a similiar FPS from a better developer that's already been released and probably at a budget price by now.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

disolitude said:
HappySqurriel said:
disolitude said:
melbye said:
As long as it's good, of course. It would be nice to play a great FPS again, considering COD4, Orange Box and Halo3 was a massive disappointment after playing the extremely more superior Metroid Prime 3. It's funny how much difference the Wiimote makes, it makes playing with a traditional controller a painful experience

Thats like saying... "this sushi is so much better becuase I get to eat it with chopsticks"

If you other alternative is to eat it with a spoon that is covered in feces that would be the correct analogy ...

For novice players maybe...its easier to point than use thumbs when you start playing FPS games at first.

Nevertheless, all I was saying is that control mechanism doesn't make COD, Orange box and Halo 3 dissapointing as games...just harder to control if you're used to wiimote. I personally would take xbox pad over wiimote for halo anyday as its tried and tested to be awesome.

I've played FPS games since they were invented on the PC and the best standard-controler set up for any console game is still amazingly clumsy; most FPS games make up for this by keeping as much of the action on a single plane, giving you very generous auto aim, and keeping action at a slow pace (to allow you to aim). From what I have seen, even very poor controlls on Wii first person shooters (like Red Steel) are far better than the best controlls that have ever been produced for a standard-controller.

Simply play a game like Metroid Prime 3 and once you've played through the robot city in the sky (which name escapes me at the moment) you will realize that you simply couldn't navigate the zip-lines if you were using a controller because you couldn't aim in time.

HappySqurriel said:
disolitude said:
HappySqurriel said:
disolitude said:
melbye said:

I've played FPS games since they were invented on the PC and the best standard-controler set up for any console game is still amazingly clumsy; most FPS games make up for this by keeping as much of the action on a single plane, giving you very generous auto aim, and keeping action at a slow pace (to allow you to aim). From what I have seen, even very poor controlls on Wii first person shooters (like Red Steel) are far better than the best controlls that have ever been produced for a standard-controller.

Simply play a game like Metroid Prime 3 and once you've played through the robot city in the sky (which name escapes me at the moment) you will realize that you simply couldn't navigate the zip-lines if you were using a controller because you couldn't aim in time.

Eh.  I've played FPS games since Wolfenstein 3D, and I think that gamepads do a pretty good job with FPS controls.  Hell, the first time I played with a mouse in Quake, I was horrible.  But after practice, I got good with it.  Ditto with gamepad controls.  I'm still far from being great with a gamepad, but I'm getting there.

And the controls in Red Steel suck balls.  Way more than using a gamepad.  It's the first Wii game I ever played, and it was terrible.  MP3 does a decent job with FPS controls (but overall I still didn't like it), but IMO, the best FPS controls in a Wii game belong to Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (which I really enjoyed).  And I've actually played all those games, so it's not "from what I've seen," it's "from what I've played."  And you talk about auto-aiming, but have you played MP3 WITHOUT using the lock-on?  It's amazing to me that people can claim that MP3 has the best FPS controls on a console, but fail to notice that it relies heavily on using lock-on for combat.

HappySqurriel said:
disolitude said:
melbye said:

Thats like saying... "this sushi is so much better becuase I get to eat it with chopsticks"

No, because you aren't at risk for hepatitis, other diseases, when you play with a gamepad. You're discussing the awkwardness of the controls. You don't you use a "gross" analogy for things like that. You use a "hard to do" analogy.

Therefore, it would be more accurate to say trying to eat with a flathead screwdriver. It can be done, but it's still annoying.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

HappySqurriel said:
disolitude said:
HappySqurriel said:

Well each game gets designed with console strenghts in mind. Wii mote is a strength for the wii so obviously level design will have great use of it...

I'm not arguing one game is better than another...just that you can't say a game is dissapointing because you don't like the cntrol scheme. Especially not games like Halo 3

I could say Metroid Prime 3 is dissapointing because it lacks the online aspect...but thats not what the games strenght is.

I wasn't great with controllers at first and FPS...actually thanks to metroid prime 1 I sucked in halo big time because I was used to holding down a button while aiming instead of using the second D-pad. But I practised and I am more than confortable with the D-pads now... Confortable enough to be able to enjoy a game for what it is, and not complain its dissapointing because I can't point and shoot.