By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the sales of North America becoming more like Japan?

Anyway, this is different from other 2 threads before it because its more comparing NA numbers to Japan. And just to let you know, 50,000 sales weekly sales is absymal compared to a population of 300 million and for a country with many states.  Compared to japan with a population with only 120 million. Does it mean that ps360 sales are like the sales of Wii in Japan then?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

No, if more people are buying the Wii and DS than less people are buying the 360 and PS3.

In fact, the 360 is actually selling more by time period in NA than the Xbox last generation, the second place console last generation in America. Every territory has its off weeks for each console or every console. This was a bad week for everyone but Nintendo.

50K of a population of 300M is abysmal?

Total hardware sales for USA this week: 536K.
Total hardware sales for UK this week: 140K

Population USA: 300M
Population UK: 60M.

Breaking news: UK's gaming sales are worse than abysmal.

For the entire Europe hardware: 642K
Population (excluding Russia) about 550M, as of 1996, so about 600M including Russia (my atlas is from 1996), if not more.

Breaking news: Europe's gaming sales this week are at half of abysmal.

Oh, and for HD only, it is a bit better in Europe, but not close to population difference, same for UK.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

well ninty is starting to dominate it like japan

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

The economy in USA is slowing down, furthermore the weak dollar makes price cuts less likely, which could well keep affecting sales there.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

PS3 sales will pick up in a couple of weeks....i forget why tho...

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Well the US has been the biggest market, normally at about 50% of all sales, but Europe/Other is about to break open. With China, South Korea, India, and Russia all starting to get big in console and handheld gaming it's about to explode. Especially what DS in particular is doing in those markets. Soon Europe/Other could be around 60% of the market, with USA bout 35% and Japan a mere 5%.

I mean we have the seperate markets as they are because at one point Japan used to be about 20% of the market, the second biggest single country market. USA was about 60% and the rest of the world the last 20%. But slowly that's changed til where now Japan is only 10%, USA is 50%, and Europe/Other is 40%. And it's still changing because finally the populations are starting to even out. Japan and USA will always have a better precentage of players but the rest of the world's popular is huge compared to those 2 countries and we'll see that happening.

You can thank the DS and PS2 for that haha.

MontanaHatchet said:

No, if more people are buying the Wii and DS than less people are buying the 360 and PS3.

In fact, the 360 is actually selling more by time period in NA than the Xbox last generation, the second place console last generation in America. Every territory has its off weeks for each console or every console. This was a bad week for everyone but Nintendo.

So when do you think america starting to pump hardware sales again? I doubt it will be next week since theres no good game even for next week. So these sales decline will continue till MGS4?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Well lets not get completely ahead of ourselves. this time of the year is a natoriously slow time for the industry. Last week all the consoles were down. this past week of course Wii would be very high due to Wii fit. MGS will give Sony a boost in June, but July will be down for all 3, and Augest will slowly start to rebound towards the fall, and of course fall and holiday season are always very strong for the industry. This is just the way the cycle works. Also keep in mind that Nintendo has released SSB, Mariokart, and Wii fit alll in the first 5 months of this year. That kind of software barrage will definately spike any console.

yushire said:
MontanaHatchet said:

So when do you think america starting to pump hardware sales again? I doubt it will be next week since theres no good game even for next week. So these sales decline will continue till MGS4?

The U.S. can have off weeks just like every territory, really. This wasn't so much an off week as a Nintendomination week. The only big release I can even think of this week on the HD consoles is Haze, and poor rated games aimed at the hardcore crowd usually do very poorly.

As the Wii Fit hype gets to sane levels and the Metal Gear Solid 4 hype kicks in, we should start seeing more balanced sales.