By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Wii pass the PSP WW LTD before the end of 2008? Will it?

I don't post much around here, but I think it would be pretty remarkable for the Wii to do in 2 years what the PSP couldn't do in 4, even though there is little overlap between the two.  Wii would obviously also pass the N64 LTD figure in the process.

Nintendo's decision to increase production gives this prediction hope, but I expect Sony to drop the price of the PS2 (to $99), the PSP (to $149 or $129) and perhaps even the PS3 to ($349) this year.  Sony needs to give its shareholders confidence and the PS2 is finally dying.  It could make a big move towards catching up to the 360 with another price drop.  Also, the price drop would give revenue a spike to the "PlayStation family" as Sony likes to spin it.  And they pretty much need to show that the PlayStation brand continues to grow.

Thoughts? What would be greater victory? Nintendo ruling the home console roost, or Sony putting such a big dent in Nintendo's portable monopoly?

Around the Network

Yes.

Wii will pass N64 and the PSP LTD this year.

It may even pass the SNES @ almost 50m.

I have always maintained the Wii will be 47-50m on Jan 1, 2009.

yes i think te wii will pass psp by the end of the year

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

yes it can

Since April it outsold PSP almost 2:1, and closed the gap by over 1.3M. If Wii manages to continue this it will be close. Looking at Nintendo's shipment expectations for fiscal year 2009 Wii will be no higher than 42-44M at the end of 2008. All in all it is too close to call.

Around the Network

Yes it could.

I am however doubtful it will manage it.... it looks like it will be staggering close with both between 42 and 44 million... only Wii's availability will decide it in the end.

I think the absolute maximum number of Wii's Nintendo will be able to ship will be 44 million (unless they up production even more) which if it is sold out everywhere means 43.5-43.8 million in sales.

The PSP is on track to sell about 12-14 million in 2008 (in the 21 weeks so far it has sold about 4.5 million, so doubling that to make 42 weeks gives us 9 million, then add about 4 million for those last 10 weeks of holiday sales)

It is going to be very very close I think.

Nooooooo... It won't

Yes it can, end of the year will be around 42-47 millions

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Yes, it will.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Its unanimous!!!!

Yes it would