By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When should the Playstation brand die off?

Viper1 said:

Sorta.

Picture a Tug-o-war with PS3 (Japan), PS3 (America) and PS3 (Europe) on one end and PS2 (Japan) on the other end.  For the first 10 minutes (read: 10 million units sold), PS2 (Japan) holds it own against all 3 PS3 tuggers to the point it's basically a tie [check the chart].

Soon, PS2 (America) and PS2 (Europe) show up and they man handle all the PS3 tuggers into the mud.

Sony basically bragged about the first part.  Yay.

Are you forgetting the Ps3 released in Europe a half year later? hm... for someone preaching about different release dates you sure did ignore that fact real quick.

Around the Network

I waiting for moment when m$$ kill Xbox 360 and end.

End of 2k9

PS3 - 28,000,000

XO - 34,000,000

GT:ProChaoS360

Never. Why would they, it's well known.

PooperScooper said:

Viper1 said:

Sorta.

Picture a Tug-o-war with PS3 (Japan), PS3 (America) and PS3 (Europe) on one end and PS2 (Japan) on the other end.  For the first 10 minutes (read: 10 million units sold), PS2 (Japan) holds it own against all 3 PS3 tuggers to the point it's basically a tie [check the chart].

Soon, PS2 (America) and PS2 (Europe) show up and they man handle all the PS3 tuggers into the mud.

Sony basically bragged about the first part.  Yay.

Are you forgetting the Ps3 released in Europe a half year later? hm... for someone preaching about different release dates you sure did ignore that fact real quick.

You want to get technical, let's do a total weeks of sale comaprison up to the 66th week from the first date of sale.

PS2:

Japan:
March 4, 2000 + 66 weeks = June 9, 2001.

America:
October 26, 2000 + 32 weeks = June 9, 2001.

Europe:
November 24, 2000 + 28 weeks = June 9, 2001.

PS3:

Japan:
November 11, 2006 + 66 weeks = Feb 16, 2008.

America:
November 17, 2006 + 65 weeks = Feb 16, 2008.

Europe:
March 23, 2007 + 47 weeks = Feb 16, 2008.

PS2 = 126 weeks of sale = ~10 million

PS3 =  178 weeks of sale = ~10 million

PS2 beat PS3 by 52 weeks...exactly 1 year.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Maybe a better question would be

"When will sony stop number the playstation."

Around the Network

Your analogy would have been more accurate with PS3 Europe joining in shortly after it started. PooperScooper seems to me to have blown that fact out of proportion. And for someone correcting others on relative release dates he sure was quick to turn 4 months into 6 months.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Your analogy would have been more accurate with PS3 Europe joining in shortly after it started. PooperScooper seems to me to have blown that fact out of proportion. And for someone correcting others on relative release dates he sure was quick to turn 4 months into 6 months.

Lol. I said half a year. Sure you can take that as 6 months but dont tell me i was blowing it of a proportion. Me not giving a fuck to click on a couple of things on my computer to find exact numbers (lazyness) is what it was.

Even if I said 16 weeks (4 months times 4 weeks) someone would have nit picked at it because it is 15 weeks.

But this is all besides the point. My original point was (and still is) for someone preaching about non simultaneous release dates he sure forgot that the Ps3 launched at different times.

If the PS4 performs worse than the PS3 they might have to drop the name.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

I think Sony will adopt (or steal) Nintendo's strategy of giving their console an odd play on word kinda name, but will not drop the Playsttion brand, something like 'Playstation Wii'

Munkeh111 said:
Yes the playstation brand does, it is basically the standard word for video game console still, and I doubt sony will leave it for some time

Not so much in America. Xbox is really becoming the new playstation. Parents wander around looking for "xbox" and think "xbox" means video game system.  World wide, playstation may very well be more synonymous with gaming.

Although Wii seems to have gotten some attention also.