By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When should the Playstation brand die off?

FJ-Warez said:
colonelstubbs said:
Im not forgetting anything, excpet sonys statement 'the ps3 reached 10 million faster than the ps2'

Its called PR spin... (aka twisting the truth)

I actually believed them on that as well....damn!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
FJ-Warez said:
colonelstubbs said:
Im not forgetting anything, excpet sonys statement 'the ps3 reached 10 million faster than the ps2'

At the end of they day, did the PS3 get to 10 million faster?

Sony says yes...

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Famine said:
colonelstubbs said:
FJ-Warez said:
colonelstubbs said:

At the end of they day, did the PS3 get to 10 million faster?

Sorta.

Picture a Tug-o-war with PS3 (Japan), PS3 (America) and PS3 (Europe) on one end and PS2 (Japan) on the other end.  For the first 10 minutes (read: 10 million units sold), PS2 (Japan) holds it own against all 3 PS3 tuggers to the point it's basically a tie [check the chart].

Soon, PS2 (America) and PS2 (Europe) show up and they man handle all the PS3 tuggers into the mud.

Sony basically bragged about the first part.  Yay.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

Sorta.

Picture a Tug-o-war with PS3 (Japan), PS3 (America) and PS3 (Europe) on one end and PS2 (Japan) on the other end.  For the first 10 minutes (read: 10 million units sold), PS2 (Japan) holds it own against all 3 PS3 tuggers to the point it's basically a tie [check the chart].

Soon, PS2 (America) and PS2 (Europe) show up and they man handle all the PS3 tuggers into the mud.

Sony basically bragged about the first part.  Yay.

Pros and cons for each: PS2 only launched in Japan, PS3 cost $200 and $300 more.

It's not PR spin where they got these numbers out of thin air, and made assertions that it's in fact the case.

An event between the U.S. and the Soviet Union is more appropriate in this scenario regarding which of their respected cars, that released cleaner emissions into the air, ran faster. The U.S. won by a mile.

The Soviets did talk about the event, but what they said was along the lines of it being an international car event, with the Soviets coming in second, and the U.S. in second to last.

Technically, they were correct on all counts.

Around the Network

Sony gave away hundreds of thousands of PS3's with the Bravia TVs. They also essentially had a firesale, saying 'BUY THE BEST VERSION OF THE CONSOLE RIGHT NOW CUZ WE'RE NOT MAKING IT ANYMORE!!!!!!ONE!"

So, while they may have technically done what Viper said, it doesn't mean that 10 million people necessarily were that interested in getting it at that point.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
Sony gave away hundreds of thousands of PS3's with the Bravia TVs. They also essentially had a firesale, saying 'BUY THE BEST VERSION OF THE CONSOLE RIGHT NOW CUZ WE'RE NOT MAKING IT ANYMORE!!!!!!ONE!"

So, while they may have technically done what Viper said, it doesn't mean that 10 million people necessarily were that interested in getting it at that point.

You probably have in mind with what occured in England with the giving away of TVs, but no, they did not give away free PS3s at that event.

thekitchensink said:

you mean the 28,000 in australia? thats hundreds of thousands for sure... just like how Resistance only sold close to 3mil because of its 200,000 (at most) bundles.

Tell me what company with an inch of common sense devotes so many billions of dollars to establish a brand as a household name to simply ditch it afterwards?

When a company is still recognized in press releases as ''the company that brought you the WALKMAN'', I would be more than willing to bet my life earnings that the Playstation brand name is not going to be leaving the market for another decade or two. Unless Sony leaves the market for some unforeseen reason.

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.

Viper1 said:
colonelstubbs said:
scottie said:
They wont kill it off, but they deffinately should.

Not trying to start a flamewar, but PS1 and PS2 were consoles well known for lasting a long time, and the Playstation brand received much loving. The PS3 has destroyed most of this, and when the PS3 falls short of the 10 year mark (which it will, lets be honest), all goodwill towards the brand will be gone.

The PS3 has been out just over a year!

It reached 10 million worldwide faster than the PS2, and the 360, so how has it 'destroyed' anything other than some sales records!?

Are you forgetting PS2 was out in Japan by itself for the first 30 weeks?   To compare properly, you have to add from their launch points per territory.

Week 66 seems to be your PS3 10 million point.

Japan at 66 weeks:
PS2 - 4.56 million
PS3 - 1.93 million

America at 66 weeks:
PS2 - 8.44 million
PS3 - 4.02 million

Europe at 66 weeks:
PS2 - 7.24 million
PS3 - 4.24 million

Totals at 66 weeks:
PS2 - 20.24 million
PS3 - 10.19 million