By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bluray vs hddvd - HD-DVD Buyers Beware

Oh yeah, definitely. But a fair % of the consumers will just want to do the easiest thing possible, which would be to get a new set.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
Actually, converter boxes will be readily available. The government will also issue free vouchers that will cover the costs of two sets per household.

We also can't ignore the fact that people tend to go cheap on unexpected expenses. A lot of people who don't already own a digital ready TV probably don't have the cash to just buy a fancy HDTV (or have a better use for their money) and may choose to buy the largest TV they can get for $250 to $500 ... This would (likely) be a CRT TV that handled Digital Signals.

HappySqurriel said:
FishyJoe said:
Actually, converter boxes will be readily available. The government will also issue free vouchers that will cover the costs of two sets per household.

We also can't ignore the fact that people tend to go cheap on unexpected expenses. A lot of people who don't already own a digital ready TV probably don't have the cash to just buy a fancy HDTV (or have a better use for their money) and may choose to buy the largest TV they can get for $250 to $500 ... This would (likely) be a CRT TV that handled Digital Signals.

I agree that a lot of people would like to go cheap, but I also think that HDTVs will be cheaper to buy as they become more popular.

Blu-Ray's figures look stronger and stronger but they'll never surapass the 10% mark until HDTVs do. And stop trying to act like they're selling like hotcakes, they are selling well but not enough to save Blu-Ray or HD-DVD much ales your PS3.

dallas said:
HappySqurriel said:
FishyJoe said:

I agree that a lot of people would like to go cheap, but I also think that HDTVs will be cheaper to buy as they become more popular.

Of course, but that doesnt' mean people are going to throw out non compatible sets, if they are still working. The mass market doesn't work that way.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

None format reached the mass-market. For this the players need to sell cheaper. It's only the question which of them can bring a low-price player faster.

spartan117 said:
None format reached the mass-market. For this the players need to sell cheaper. It's only the question which of them can bring a low-price player faster.

Aren't you forgetting HDTVs? Don't even think that the mass market will buy HD discs and players without HDTVs or monitors. Early adopters do things like that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

MikeB said:

I think Blu-Ray has the potential to kill HD-DVD as a viable movie format, just like Sony's 3.5 inch diskettes replaced 5 1/4 inch floppies eventually or CDs virtually pushed Philips' music cassettes out of the market. But I think Blu-Ray will not kill DVD as a format for many many years to come.

I do wonder why everyone seems to speak exclusively about Sony when talking about Blu-Ray disc as if they are the only involved party, sure they may have probably the best units available on the market today, but Sony is just one of many consumers electronics companies focussing on Blu-Ray right now (unlike HD-DVD which is supported by only Microsoft through their XBox 360 console and Toshiba). Consumer electronics companies pushing for Blu-Ray include Hitachi, LG, Mitsubishi, Pioneer, Sharp, Philips, Samsung and Panasonic!

You just did the same when you talked about CDs. I believe Philips and Sony created those, yet you talk like someone else's invention ousted Philips'.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Universal: No new HD DVD titles for 2007

http://www.vgoa.com/index.php?page=newsProfile&platform=PS3&newsID=271

Blue3 said:
Universal: No new HD DVD titles for 2007

http://www.vgoa.com/index.php?page=newsProfile&platform=PS3&newsID=271

"Universal has confirmed they have no new major titles announcements for 2007."

Yeah, thats the exact same thing you posted....

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"