By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bluray vs hddvd - HD-DVD Buyers Beware

@ LordTheNightKnight

I was talking with regard to blank media, with regard to retail movies the average Blu-Ray movie appears to be cheaper than the average HD DVD movie.

If you want to copy your Blu-Ray movies, a single layer disc would be sufficient in most cases.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
footbag said:
@MikeB
If you bought your movies or games by the GB, then you would be right to include the cost per GB. Otherwise it would be more accurate to just post the cost per disc.

I belive that most of the current HD-DVD's and BR discs are all outputting video at 18Mbps. So HD-DVD can theoretically increase by 30% and BR by 125%. BR has more room for improvement, but they're not using it yet. At the current moment both formats look identical.

EXACTYLY. So when they come out with the newer HD video streams in the coming months/year. BluRay will surpass HD-DVD. While HD-DVD will be left stranded.

When it comes to writeable media, BluRay kicks HD-DVD's ass.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Blu-ray without question.

footbag said:
@MikeB
If you bought your movies or games by the GB, then you would be right to include the cost per GB. Otherwise it would be more accurate to just post the cost per disc.

I belive that most of the current HD-DVD's and BR discs are all outputting video at 18Mbps. So HD-DVD can theoretically increase by 30% and BR by 125%. BR has more room for improvement, but they're not using it yet. At the current moment both formats look identical.

I'm not sure about all new BR titles, but many of the recent BR movies I've watched used AVC which I have read is better than VC-1. I believe POTC used AVC and I noticed that the bitrate was typically around 25-30 MB/s. and I saw peaks of over 40 MB/s. I also saw scenes where it dipped to around 10-12, but not very often. The audio was at a constant 6.0 mb/s.

In case anyone is wondering how I know the numbers, PS3 will display both audio and video bitrates when using the display button.

Oh, and I support both formats while they are both available. 360 add-on and PS3 as players.

Edit - I also wish to add that I hope both formats survive. Competition between the two will be the best for consumers!

MikeB said:
@ LordTheNightKnight

I was talking with regard to blank media, with regard to retail movies the average Blu-Ray movie appears to be cheaper than the average HD DVD movie.

If you want to copy your Blu-Ray movies, a single layer disc would be sufficient in most cases.

1. Are you reffering to HD-DVD moviess with or without a standard DVD side. The latter costs more, so if you are focusing on the facts, that should be taken into account.

2. Using a second layer for copying a movie matters how? If you burn a movie for playback, you usually only use the disc for the movie. If you want extra data, it's more practical to use another disc entirely, especially since extra data would likely tip a player off that it's a copied disc.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

@ LordTheNightKnight

Are you reffering to HD-DVD moviess with or without a standard DVD side. The latter costs more, so if you are focusing on the facts, that should be taken into account.

Just high definition movie content.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ goodridd 

I also wish to add that I hope both formats survive. Competition between the two will be the best for consumers!

I think clarity is more beneficial to most consumers.

I also think more direct competition between consumer electronics companies (Sony, Philips, Sharp, Samsung, Pioneer, Panasonic, etc), media providers (TDK, Verbatim, Maxell, etc) and content providers focussingly on one format and userbase would be more beneficial to help push the industry forward.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Is there a noticeable transition when HD-DVD moves between layers on the disc...ie. is it similar to DVD when it moves between layers during a film?

I hate it when it does this...it is really noticeable in LOTR.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee said:
Is there a noticeable transition when HD-DVD moves between layers on the disc...ie. is it similar to DVD when it moves between layers during a film?

I never understood why this happens... Shouldn't buffering solve this easily for them?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
davygee said:

I never understood why this happens... Shouldn't buffering solve this easily for them?

I suppose it's to do with how the drive reads the data.  I obviously need to read the data a period of time before it is shown on screen.  Also, it maybe takes a second or so for the laser to be redirected to the other layer and the buffer isn't big enough to store the video and sound.  What size is the buffers on a normal DVD player anyway?

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)