By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - End of pc game piracy?

naznatips said:
a12331 said:
Random Person B said:
it'll be cracked.
Also, this stealth encryption chip being put in all future motherboards? Thats only a little suspicious.

Anyway, the best anti-piracy plan is what steam is doing. If the market ever turns to the point where its 100% digital distributed piracy will be impossible to conduct.

no the chip is in most motherboards since 2003

Well then it's obviously not working since games are still being pirated daily...

I agree the best solution is for games to go exclusive digital distribution. Steam games can be pirated, but it's much more difficult and annoying, and more people are willing to buy games on Steam because of the conveniences it provides and low prices.

If it's not working, then it confirms that the Patriots are real and it's not really an anti-piracy measure o_0

....Anyway, yea I think Steam is a pretty good solution especially if they keep having the awesome deals on buying games like they've been doing. 

Around the Network
Random Person B said:
Katilian said:
Random Person B said:
it'll be cracked.
Also, this stealth encryption chip being put in all future motherboards? Thats only a little suspicious.

Anyway, the best anti-piracy plan is what steam is doing. If the market ever turns to the point where its 100% digital distributed piracy will be impossible to conduct.

Uhh, why exactly? You are aware that games on steam are pirated too right?

yeah thats caused by the fact there are CD versions of the steam games. hence, the 100% digital distribution comment.

But why would it stop this? You do realise that the CD versions of the games are practically identical to the steam versions (i.e. they still need to connect to the server and be decrypted, etc...) yet also contain further copy protection (usually securom).

If you can get all the necessary data to run the game onto your system, at some point that data needs to be decrypted for the system to run it. If that happens (which it does in all cases of DRM) then that is the point where I can intercept it, make a copy, and remove any copy protection.

The TPM that is referred to in the article would be used in a step to stop this, but all it does is change the vector for attack, and moves it to requiring extra hardware.

Yeah... Good Luck with That, I bet it'll prove more annoying for the paying customers than the people who pirate.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

This is just another round of the combat between the pirates and the anti-pirates. I dislike gaming piracy just as much as the next gamer but this isn't going to end the war...not even close.

The problem is that this method allows physical access to the chip to everyone who wants it. In the world of computers physical access to the computer is like being given the first 3 moves in a game of tic-tac-toe...in short its an auto-win...its only a matter of time. And there are plenty of people who make tons of money on piracy in places like Taiwan who are motivated enough to do the work.

Steam remains the only moderately effective anti-piracy methodology I've seen last more than a year. And it does so without providing a nuisance to paying customers but instead actually offering tangible benefits.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I saw the title, and didn't even need to know the subject. PC game piracy will end when there are no more PC games. No sooner, no later.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

i think someone will find a way to hack it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
i think someone will find a way to hack it

Its not even that complicated. The methods for bypassing it are known already, its just a matter of someone putting the effort into it.

To Each Man, Responsibility

PC gaming would lessen if more publishers released their games on steam.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

There is nothing that is hackproof. Consoles aren't immune to it.
Make the purchase worth more than the pirated version and it'll sell.
Of course, it has to be a good game, too.

A lot of devs are blaming piracy for their shoddy releases...

Sqrl said:

Steam remains the only moderately effective anti-piracy methodology I've seen last more than a year. And it does so without providing a nuisance to paying customers but instead actually offering tangible benefits.

Exactly!  The reason Steam works is because it's providing a massive amount of free services that you won't get if you pirate the game.  It's convenient, has great pricing and discounts, and has a community built around it so that people actually want to play the game and show it off to their friends as part of their collection.

There will never be anything that someone can program or make that can stop piracy.  If you can engineer it, a pirate can reverse engineer it.  They are software programmers and engineers too. Why anyone would think programmers on the anti-piracy side are any better than the programmers on the piracy side is beyond me.  

Release your games on Steam.  Valve can keep adding more features to Steam to make it even more appealing.  Make steam an experience people don't want to miss.  That's the best way to deal with Piracy.