By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - End of pc game piracy?

Yay Steam! I don't even care about piracy when the deals and benefits on Steam are so great.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Sqrl said:

Steam remains the only moderately effective anti-piracy methodology I've seen last more than a year. And it does so without providing a nuisance to paying customers but instead actually offering tangible benefits.

Exactly! The reason Steam works is because it's providing a massive amount of free services that you won't get if you pirate the game. It's convenient, has great pricing and discounts, and has a community built around it so that people actually want to play the game and show it off to their friends as part of their collection.

There will never be anything that someone can program or make that can stop piracy. If you can engineer it, a pirate can reverse engineer it. They are software programmers and engineers too. Why anyone would think programmers on the anti-piracy side are any better than the programmers on the piracy side is beyond me.

Release your games on Steam. Valve can keep adding more features to Steam to make it even more appealing. Make steam an experience people don't want to miss. That's the best way to deal with Piracy.

I disagree with your terminology actually.  But your point I completely agree with.

Social Engineering is pretty much the only way to stop piracy.  While you can technically engineer a solution, it just isn't a hardware or software solution.  And that is really the point, Steam while being a piece of software isn't a succesful deterant to piracy because of its software engineering efforts, but rather the social engineering efforts built into the software.

To Each Man, Responsibility