By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Wiiware really this bad?

Kyros said:
Wow you really have to enter your credit card details every time you buy something? And no background downloading?
Nintendo sure can get away with things Sony or MS would be and have been crucified for.

Well, considering the WiiWare titles are max 40MB, so the time it takes to download one, is about the same that it takes a PS3 game to get running, so there's not much of an issue here. Sure, it would be a nice addition (especially if the servers are crowded).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the credit card information limitation is a deliberate effort to limit the damage that delinquent children can do if their parent buys them some Wii points online just once.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
I'm going to go ahead and guess that the credit card information limitation is a deliberate effort to limit the damage that delinquent children can do if their parent buys them some Wii points online just once.

That's a damn good point. If everything was saved a kid could keep buying more and more points (you can only have 10k at once but parents would be less likely to notice little bits of money going every so often)

And like Rol says, if you buy 5000 points at once you can get 5 games with it.

Or for those of you who are not so lazy just buy some points in the shop when you buy a Wii game for god sake.

Guess there is no end to the Wii bashing...

FFCC my life as king took me 2 minutes to download..

I think its a very good idea that you have to enter your creditcard number everytime you buy wii points... it takes what? 2 minutes to buy points.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Yeah, I'd have to agree. If I was downloading stuff like I do on the PS3 (for example, a 1GB demo), having to sit at the download screen would suck but for games that are less than 50MB, who cares. Go to the bathroom, get a drink, whatever.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
Huh, I just bought the games with Wii points, it's no hassle.

Also there is nothing wrong with the interface.
Yes you have to wait while it is downloading but as the games are limited to a size (I think it's 40MB right?) it doesn't take longer than 3 minutes, what exactly are you going to do in 3 minutes.

And the Mario is a progress bar, at 33, 66 and 99% downloaded he jumps up and hits one of the blocks, and I think from counting the coins there are 39/40 in total up to 99% (at which point it goes haywire and sends loads of coins for the last 1%)

I agree there is the space limitation for Wii users and surely enough, 4-5 Wiiware games down the line I will be moving some of my VC games onto an SD card. I am not especially miffed at this because I haven't been playing them much (last time I went on one was in February I think)

I will be more miffed if I eventually run out of purely Wiiware space though, I mean I think without the VC games (but with the Wii game saves and the extra Wii channels) I should have about 1800 blocks, and if most of the Wiiware games I get turn out to be 200-250 blocks I will only be able to fit 8-9 games on it.

I believe that the number of coins is the number of blocks the downloaded file takes, and the last load is the file "install". Yeah, it's the progress of the download when Mario jumps to the blocks, just like you said.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Kyros said:
Wow you really have to enter your credit card details every time you buy something? And no background downloading?
Nintendo sure can get away with things Sony or MS would be and have been crucified for.

To be fair, the PS3 only included background downloading as of March 22nd 2007.

http://au.playstation.com/support/ps3/faqs/systemupdate160.jhtml

Dogs Rule said:
Kyros said:

To be fair, the PS3 only included background downloading as of March 22nd 2007.

http://au.playstation.com/support/ps3/faqs/systemupdate160.jhtml

It's a nice feature, for sure, but it's also far more important when a console is downloading hundreds of megabytes, even gigabytes at a go. Maybe Nintendo will implement it when they put out a storage solution which could actually handle such files. :P

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Ok, as many have already pointed out, this is mostly baseless whining. The interface seemed to me to be the same as for VC, though I've only downloaded Lost Wind so far, so I might remember incorrectly. But as for the credit card number, I think it's obvious to anybody with half a brain that you can't store credit card numbers on a machine that anybody can use. And, for the record, I don't have to enter my address when I buy points, the credit card number, expiration date and security code is all that's needed.

The only real problem IMO is the limited storage space, but I don't know how many actually actively play more games than can fit in Wii's internal storage. Sure, it would be more convenient if you could fit everything there, but somehow I don't think it's a problem for the majority of users now.

And talking about the Mario, how stupid is the author of the article? I mean, isn't it obvious that it's a progress bar of sorts?

Storage is certainly a problem, but Nintendo already promised a solution for that.

The rest of it is just ignorance. Mario is the progress bar. Storing credit card numbers on a video game system is a BAAAAAD idea. I'm sure Nintendo would just love to be sued by a thousand parents who weren't aware their credit card was stored after their kid went to town and bought 30 VC and WW games.

All it asks is the number, exp. date, and security code. You should have those memorized anyway.