By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSP and PS3 games - are they really that bad?

davygee said:

The bottom line is that there is a larger selection of better rated games on both the PSP and PS3 than the DS or Wii.

The bottom line is most people don't care, because they've played the exact same games on the PS2.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

Here's an idea, how about using the user reivews on Gamefaqs which uses the gamer's opinions of games. But of course you'll claim they're Nintendo biased as you'll find Nintendo games get the highest scores, you'd think Nintendo was known for its quality or something.

Funny how whenever a site shows favorable scores towards Nintendo games, they're biased, but when they show favorable scores towards Sony games, then obviously they've hit the nail on the head.

Below is the list of 58 critic reviewers for Syphon Filter.  So show me the majority of pro-Sony reviewers in the list.

Gaming Age
GameSpy
The Onion (A.V. Club)
Times Online
Pure Magazine UK
eToychest
GameZone
Da Gameboyz
IGN
Game Over Online
Gamers' Temple
GamingExcellence
AtomicGamer
PSX Extreme
Game Revolution
PGNx Media
Yahoo! Games
GamerFeed
Cheat Code Central
Computer Games Magazine
Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
Game Informer
WHAM! Gaming
DarkStation
ZTGameDomain
Loaded Inc
Official Playstation 2 Magazine UK
Pocket Gamer UK
TotalPlayStation
Armchair Empire
Sydney Morning Herald
PSW Magazine UK
PSM2 Magazine UK
GameBrink
GameSpot
Games Master UK
Digital Entertainment News
Pelit (Finland)
GameCritics
The New York Times
Gaming Horizon
PSM Magazine
1UP
Worth Playing
Games Radar
G4 TV
NTSC-uk
Total Video Games
PALGN
Thunderbolt
Pro-G
Amped IGO
Detroit Free Press
Edge Magazine
EuroGamer
Gamestyle
games(TM)
Electronic Gaming Monthly

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Gballzack said:
Here's an idea, how about using the user reivews on Gamefaqs which uses the gamer's opinions of games. But of course you'll claim they're Nintendo biased as you'll find Nintendo games get the highest scores, you'd think Nintendo was known for its quality or something.

Funny how whenever a site shows favorable scores towards Nintendo games, they're biased, but when they show favorable scores towards Sony games, then obviously they've hit the nail on the head.

If metacritc gave the Wii better scores you'd be arguing your heart out about 'how its a reputable website'.

Metacritic also gives gamers scores, but then again you seem to know very little about the site you are continually bashing.

By your measure the PS2 was a better console then the GC and N64 combined, wasnt it?

davygee said:
Below is the list of 58 critic reviewers for Syphon Filter.  So show me the majority of pro-Sony reviewers in the list.
Gaming Age
GameSpy
The Onion (A.V. Club)
Times Online
Pure Magazine UK
eToychest
GameZone
Da Gameboyz
IGN
Game Over Online
Gamers' Temple
GamingExcellence
AtomicGamer
PSX Extreme
Game Revolution
PGNx Media
Yahoo! Games
GamerFeed
Cheat Code Central
Computer Games Magazine
Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
Game Informer
WHAM! Gaming
DarkStation
ZTGameDomain
Loaded Inc
Official Playstation 2 Magazine UK
Pocket Gamer UK
TotalPlayStation
Armchair Empire
Sydney Morning Herald
PSW Magazine UK
PSM2 Magazine UK
GameBrink
GameSpot
Games Master UK
Digital Entertainment News
Pelit (Finland)
GameCritics
The New York Times
Gaming Horizon
PSM Magazine
1UP
Worth Playing
Games Radar
G4 TV
NTSC-uk
Total Video Games
PALGN
Thunderbolt
Pro-G
Amped IGO
Detroit Free Press
Edge Magazine
EuroGamer
Gamestyle
games(TM)
Electronic Gaming Monthly

Those are the few I could point out that either are or have had affiliations with Sony in the past. I'm sure there are more on the list but I'm not familiar enough with most of them to pick them all out. :)

Notice the suspicious lack of Gamefaqs, tsk tsk.

Dallinor said:
Gballzack said:

If metacritc gave the Wii better scores you'd be arguing your heart out about 'how its a reputable website'.

Metacritic also gives gamers scores, but then again you seem to know very little about the site you are continually bashing.

By your measure the PS2 was a better console then the GC and N64 combined, wasnt it?

If metacritic gave the Wii better scores I'd shit myself. 

Why isn't Gamefaqs on thier list then if they're so fond of gamers scores?

PS2 was a better console, it had more games and sold much better. Quality wise it was worse, but that is only one factor which comprises a console's success as a whole.

Around the Network

You Nintendo lot are seriously paranoid aren't you? 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Not as paranoid as those who accuse the mods here of having a nintendo bias *rolls eyes*

For a paranoid lot, we seem to spend a whole lot less time fretting over our console and just focusing on the games where as you Sony fans seems to spend all your time and energy crying about the PS3 itself. What time you do spend on games is usually invested in comparing them to Wii or 360 games.

Gaming magazines are tightly focused on a specific demographic. They are obviously going to write reviews that reflect the tastes of their buying demographic. Sony and MS are also tightly focused on the same demographic as gaming magazines, so it should come as no surprise that their games may review better in these magazines.

Nintendo is not as focused on that single demographic. But if you were to ask random people off the street to play their games and review them, the results would be completely different from the gaming magazine demographic.

I don't care if every PSP and PS3 game is considered better than any DS or Wii game it's just too enjoyable at the moment seeing the DS and Wii wipe the floor with Sony consoles, especially when it was claimed by almost every branch of the media, sales forecaster and critic that the far superior PSP and PS3 would be no match for Nintendo.....shows how much those who think they are experienced in such matters actually know.

Reviewers are just like you and me, they know no more and no less and have no more or less expertise than the average poster here.
A lot of posters here are obviously fans of one console and express this, whereas a lot of magazines cater for every console so a reviewer may favour a game on one console more than another but obviusly cannot make it obvious.

I think this is why nintendo have been complaining about game reviews the last few years.

They have little sub-sections for graphics, sounds, etc, but not 'fun', which is really what it's all about.

And as game reviewers are more likely to take a professional interest in games that really push the technology/graphics/physics of a system to the max, very often their reviews don't reflect the sort of games people enjoy playing.

This is especially the case with cheaper games like wii play, (which is really just a fiver), how can the reviewer effectively come up with a percentage which allows any meaningful comparrisson of how much fun you'll have spending a fiver on play, versus £40 on a 360 game.