By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Wii Fit Misleading? Ask a Doctor.

jlauro said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Something is popular = "Experts" talk bad about it.

It's always like that. You do not get readers by saying something that is said to be great is great, you get readers by saying why it sucks.

Maybe short-term. However, if said readers figure out what they have been reading from you turns out to be false, they will avoid reading and trusting you in the future. That is a big risk for something this popular.

The thing is though the people that read that and take it to heart aren't likely to find out that they're just posting negative news to post negative news.

Around the Network

Oh my fat America, you're in for a big commotion.

It's not so much experts that are talking bad about WiiFit so much as using BMI.

The problem here is that what else should Nintendo have used?  What else could Nintendo even use that wouldn't skyrocket the cost of WiiFit? 

The thing is that this wont help you, 'cause you will stop using it after a while. Well, probably. I would, and I work out. The doctor makes a lot of sense. Using BMI is bull. The only thing that will help you really get started is to find some exercises that you enjoy and you feel that you master. I just don't think people will stick to it.
Supportmuscles is good, but I don't think thats what people are buying it for.

twesterm said:
jlauro said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Something is popular = "Experts" talk bad about it.

It's always like that. You do not get readers by saying something that is said to be great is great, you get readers by saying why it sucks.

Maybe short-term. However, if said readers figure out what they have been reading from you turns out to be false, they will avoid reading and trusting you in the future. That is a big risk for something this popular.

The thing is though the people that read that and take it to heart aren't likely to find out that they're just posting negative news to post negative news.

Generally true.  However, despite any negative news this is going to sell millions, and chances are for Wii Fit, they will know someone who gets it, talks about it, and and find out the truth.

Around the Network

JLauro, that's not the case here, they make other people say that the popular thing sucks, making the readers who disagree upset with the one who said it, not the magazine/site.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

My understanding is (I don't have my copy yet, expected delivery tomorrow) that it is meant so that family members can compare themselfs to each other. BMI might not be good, but it is better than just using weight.

@Oyvoyvoyv:  Good point.  It's still a matter of trusting the site to find reliable experts, but it doesn't reduce the risk...

Is Wii Fit  BMI Misleading?  Ask a Doctor. 

Fixed. 

My mother is a medic and she said that it's impossible for Wii Fit to not help you. Wii Fit basically asks you to do classic exercises and watch you to do them correctly so its damn obvious that it helps you.

Of course that it won't make obese people fit, but thats because nothing and no one can. Many obese people can starve and exercise to death and still loose not even 1 pound because it's in their metabolism.

Your BMI exact number may not say much, but it's evolution like Wii Fit tracks says a lot.

Currently my mother is envolved in a goverment program which let all people no matter their age to do a series of medical tests free of charge. Medics have to gather various data and tests results and submit them in a program. This data also includes BMI so its quite obvious that BMI is not so irrelevant as some people try to convince you.

Well the lady is an expert on Obesity. Still she does seem to be doing the "Judging something with no clue what it is" mode of crticisim.