By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Uncanny Valley - A future problem for gaming?

windbane said:
As for uncanny valley: I thnk it's the most overblown idea in videogames right now. Do we talk about this junk with movies? If something looks unrealistic, it'll just get better.

Uncanny valley isn't something looking unrealistic - humans handle that just fine. Its something that looks almost realistic. With a highly imperfect model of a human you notice the few things that are human and feel empathy towards it, with a nearly perfect model you notice the few things that are off and feel repulsed. Its not certain that the uncanny valley actually exists to be honest, but it is definitely highly possible.

The reason you don't talk about it for movies is that in movies humans are used, they are on the other side of the uncanny valley where the model is so close to perfect that you nothing is noticably 'un-human' about them, thus we feel empathy. The only time I can think of where it has been discussed in terms of movies is in one about human-like robots (It had a little child robot searching for 'The Blue Fairy'?) who humanity turns on.

Edit: And yes CGI films almost never try to be perfectly real and so they are not human enough to cause said reaction.

Around the Network
Rath said:
windbane said:
As for uncanny valley: I thnk it's the most overblown idea in videogames right now. Do we talk about this junk with movies? If something looks unrealistic, it'll just get better.

Uncanny valley isn't something looking unrealistic - humans handle that just fine. Its something that looks almost realistic. With a highly imperfect model of a human you notice the few things that are human and feel empathy towards it, with a nearly perfect model you notice the few things that are off and feel repulsed. Its not certain that the uncanny valley actually exists to be honest, but it is definitely highly possible.

The reason you don't talk about it for movies is that in movies humans are used, they are on the other side of the uncanny valley where the model is so close to perfect that you nothing is noticably 'un-human' about them, thus we feel empathy. The only time I can think of where it has been discussed in terms of movies is in one about human-like robots (It had a little child robot searching for 'The Blue Fairy'?) who humanity turns on.

The movie is A.I. In my opinion an awesome film.

U made a good descripiton of the Uncanny valley-phenomenon here btw (u shuld edit the first post to clarify this).

windbane said:

If you mean movies with actors. Those are real people. It's different.  Think about it this way...

have you ever been in a store that has super realistic manicans?  Being used to the non realistic kind the ones that have the detailed yet not painted faces, are perfectly proportioned and have nipples and stuff are a bit freaky right?

Now picture that like... 100 times over.

Slimebeast said:
Rath said:
windbane said:

The movie is A.I. In my opinion an awesome film.

U made a good descripiton of the Uncanny valley-phenomenon here btw (u shuld edit the first post to clarify this).

Games will just do what movies do. It's not a big deal. I understand the concept, I'm just one that doesn't think it's a real issue. If you've ever seen a CG human face that is perfectly symmetrical, I think it's easy to see the unrealness of it. Generally people look more attractive the more symmetric they are, but no one is perfectly symmetrical, so when you see a fake image of perfection you can tell something isn't quite right. The solution is rather simple, though, so that's not really an issue. I think most of the time that this term comes up is when something is supposed to look realistic but doesn't, and that's just a matter of improving everything...this near-perfetion-but-not isn't a problem, imo.

Rath said:
windbane said:

Edit: And yes CGI films almost never try to be perfectly real and so they are not human enough to cause said reaction.

Exactly.  For example the clip I posted.  The animations make the entire thing very awkward and down right freaky, imo.  The eyes don't help either. 

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
windbane said:

If you mean movies with actors. Those are real people. It's different.  Think about it this way...

have you ever been in a store that has super realistic manicans?  Being used to the non realistic kind the ones that have the detailed yet not painted faces, are perfectly proportioned and have nipples and stuff are a bit freaky right?

Now picture that like... 100 times over.

nah, I meant animation, because that's what videogames do. I dunno, though, wax museums are pretty realistic. I think the creepiness is the same that dolls have...faces that don't change and the possiblility that they will start moving and kill you.

Avalach21 said:
isn't it coming to PC too?

It was originally ps3/360/pc, but then Sony signed a deal with Quantic Dream to publish the game.

makingmusic476 said:
Rath said:
windbane said:

Exactly.  For example the clip I posted.  The animations make the entire thing very awkward and down right freaky, imo.  The eyes don't help either. 

it impressed a lot of people, though...even starcraft

:P

where people are quickly become repulsed by it, the 'uncanny valley'.

Don't think this will be a problem. Heavenly Sword may have had its problems but face animations looked amazing. If all games would look that good I would be content. And there are lots of CGI movies out there that show that the uncanny valley is overstated IMO.