By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Uncanny Valley - A future problem for gaming?

jalsonmi said:
makingmusic476 said:
Rath said:
windbane said:

Games will just do what movies do. It's not a big deal. I understand the concept, I'm just one that doesn't think it's a real issue. If you've ever seen a CG human face that is perfectly symmetrical, I think it's easy to see the unrealness of it. Generally people look more attractive the more symmetric they are, but no one is perfectly symmetrical, so when you see a fake image of perfection you can tell something isn't quite right. The solution is rather simple, though, so that's not really an issue. I think most of the time that this term comes up is when something is supposed to look realistic but doesn't, and that's just a matter of improving everything...this near-perfetion-but-not isn't a problem, imo.

Movies use real actors. Games don't realistically have that option.

Also the symmetrical face is just one example and an easy to solve one. In many cases it quite simply isn't that simple to improve it past the point of the uncanny valley. Eyes are a huge one, they are hugely important in human interactions and are incredibaly hard to make convincing to a human. Another major one is facial expressions.

Edit: What animated movies have extremely realistic graphics? Enough to say that they have definately passed the uncanny valley?

Edit2: Heavenly Sword graphics are not that realistic. The characters in it are so clearly non-human that the uncanny valley wouldn't apply.

Beowulf. 80% of my time watching that movie I was convinced the characters were real.

It's funny, the issue of the Uncanny Valley is most acute right now in motion capture--becuase they can get movement so close to real human movement, the Uncanny Valley is the biggest problem there in a way that it's only beginning to touch in video games.

A good example is Beowolf. The eyes are all wrong there. As is tongue movement. They're able to get really close to human expression, but are enough off it freaks most people out. I saw a whole symposium with Robert Zemeckis about MoCap. The things they're trying to do to get eyes right is astounding, but it still isn't quite there. Still, they were much more usccessful with Beowolf than with, say, The Polar Express. MoCap is at a place where they're almost over the Uncanny Valley.

Video games, however, aren't. Considering movement in 3-D space is only an issue in creating a computer animated or MoCap movie, not in consumng such a thing, whereas in video games it has to be done to, you know, play the game, the Uncanny Valley is a huge issue in games, and nearly everything this generation is mired in it. It's like the video of the first 13 minutes of MGS4--it looks breathtaking and real until you see the soldiers faces. Then they're just slightly...off. Or the wa Nico moves in GTAIV. Again, just...off. That video for Heavy Rain is the perfect example. She looks awful. Like 800 times worse than if she didn't look as likelike as she did. Ugh.

Yeah I agree. That girl didn't look human at all. We're still really far from that "valley". It's not because we have higs-res textures that it's realistic.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Around the Network
Rath said:

Movies use real actors. Games don't realistically have that option.

Also the symmetrical face is just one example and an easy to solve one. In many cases it quite simply isn't that simple to improve it past the point of the uncanny valley. Eyes are a huge one, they are hugely important in human interactions and are incredibaly hard to make convincing to a human. Another major one is facial expressions.

Edit: What animated movies have extremely realistic graphics? Enough to say that they have definately passed the uncanny valley?

Edit2: Heavenly Sword graphics are not that realistic. The characters in it are so clearly non-human that the uncanny valley wouldn't apply.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Oh, and Beowulf. Both FF movies, in my opinion, were superb in animation, much better than any game could output.