By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Uncanny Valley - A future problem for gaming?

There is a hypothesis that as something approaches humanity people feel more empathetic towards it until a certain point where people are quickly become repulsed by it, the 'uncanny valley'.

As we know graphics in games have been approaching reality more and more every single generation an we will be approaching near photorealistic graphics in the near future. Will the uncanny valley cause problems for developers in the near future?

Around the Network

I don't really think so. The gaming industry (at least high-end, graphically-intensive, hardcore gaming) already cops flak from all over the place. The media tears the industry a new one every time a particularly violent or offensive game comes out.

Even if the uncanny valley comes into effect for our industry, the negative effect is a long way away, as we are yet to enter the 'empathy' stage.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Did you guys see the original tech demo for Heavy Rain? Talk about uncanny valley material. Ugh.

makingmusic476 said:
Did you guys see the original tech demo for Heavy Rain? Talk about uncanny valley material. Ugh.

WOW!!!! That was awesome!!! When does that game hit? What do you have to do? What kind of game is it? If the gameplay creates anything like the atmosphere that tech demo did then I just found a reason to own a PS3.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

isn't it coming to PC too?

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network

Thus far I haven't yet felt it for games.
I did for movies: I find hyperthyroid eyes in Toy Story and other movies with CG disturbing, and Shrek's characters' skin creepy.
I find real human-like robots' skin, mouth, eyes and hair creepy too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

makingmusic476 said:

That's not uncanny valley. You don't feel sympathy for her?

The extreme close-ups were very impressive in that clip.

starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:

WOW!!!! That was awesome!!! When does that game hit? What do you have to do? What kind of game is it? If the gameplay creates anything like the atmosphere that tech demo did then I just found a reason to own a PS3.

Someone mark this date on your calender...this is epic.

As for uncanny valley: I thnk it's the most overblown idea in videogames right now. Do we talk about this junk with movies? If something looks unrealistic, it'll just get better.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Thus far I haven't yet felt it for games.
I did for movies: I find hyperthyroid eyes in Toy Story and other movies with CG disturbing, and Shrek's characters' skin creepy.
I find real human-like robots' skin, mouth, eyes and hair creepy too.

ok, apparently this guy talks about it with movies. I don't know anyone else that had the same complaints about those movies. Toy Story was a bunch of toys...they weren't even trying to look real. They were moving toys, Whatever. I don't find uncanny valley to be a universal thing with people like, say, human attraction seems to favor certain attributes because of biological factors. I think some people are bothered by certain things, but in general it's not an issue.