By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greenpace attacks consoles!

DTG said:
luinil said:
I still agree with HappySqurriel about this. Global Warming is a grand HOAX. Joseph Gerbils said that if you tell a big lie long enough it becomes the truth. We know that lies cannot become truth, but that the perception will change, so that the lie is now thought to be truth. Greenpace is a anti-capitalist organization who are mad that Nintendo is making this much money.

Yes, it is a Hoax afterall the numbers don't lie.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

Yup, thats really surprising until you pull back to a scale that temperature change actually operates on:

Edit: And thats not even accounting for the problems with the way the data on your graph was taken..hell the data on the graph I posted for the most recent records is probably from the same source.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

ok obviously consoles are not killing the planet.
But you know, the dangers of global warming and threats to the environment are occurring.

There are many more things happening that are doing much greater harm, but eliminating any bit of harm is a good thing.

I love video games and all, but they don't last forever, sooner or later they will have to be disposed of, and if all that waste contains harmful chemicals, then it's a bad thing in the future.

And cheers for the lecture.

ToastyJaguar said:
ok obviously consoles are not killing the planet.
But you know, the dangers of global warming and threats to the environment are occurring.

There are many more things happening that are doing much greater harm, but eliminating any bit of harm is a good thing.

I love video games and all, but they don't last forever, sooner or later they will have to be disposed of, and if all that waste contains harmful chemicals, then it's a bad thing in the future.

And cheers for the lecture.

I really hope you read the article. I actually used to be just like you, I got involved back when the slogan was "Save the rain forests!". Look around a bit and you'll find that the numbers don't add up.

Nobody in their right mind thinks we shouldn't conserve and treat our planet like we do our own homes (ie take care of it). Only that we shouldn't destroy economies and tax people's carbon emissions, and force them to purchase carbon offsets etc.. A lot of folks just take it too far for their own political reasons, and those people have bastardized and quite frankly ruined an organization that stood for a lot of good in the past.

To Each Man, Responsibility
luinil said:
I still agree with HappySqurriel about this. Global Warming is a grand HOAX. Joseph Gerbils said that if you tell a big lie long enough it becomes the truth. We know that lies cannot become truth, but that the perception will change, so that the lie is now thought to be truth. Greenpace is a anti-capitalist organization who are mad that Nintendo is making this much money.

I wasn't actually referencing global warming at all (in this thread) ... My point was more centered around the thought that everyone questions the motivations of businesses when they attempt to defend themself yet no one ever questions the motivations of the groups who attack these businesses.

Personally, I do question the validity of man made global warming and I am not alone ( http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fpcomment/archive/2008/05/17/32-000-deniers.aspx ) but I believe that it makes good sense to reduce our dependance on fossil fuels for a wide variety of reasons (including political, social, and ecconomic reasons).

The thing that bothers me the most about a lot of environmental activists is they have a "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude; this isn't just the high profile "Heroes" like Al Gore and David Suzuki who have far worse carbon footprints than the majority of the world, but includes all of the rich kids who believe that the 10,000 kms/year I drive should be eliminated so they can keep driving their hummer 40,000 kms/year and still go on their several vacations to exotic places.

The possibilities for corruption are immense. Archer Daniels Midland (Americas largest agribusiness) has successfully lobbied for ethanol requirements for gasoline, and the resulting demand for ethanol is already leading to large increases in corn prices and associated hardship in the developing world (not to mention poorer car performance).

I loved that part of the story, we get to add that idiot to the list of people to blaim for gas prices being so high right now.  Could probably put him really high up the list also.  Higher food prices because less food is being grown to make ethanol and the increase demand for ethanol to put in our gas causes the price of it to go up.

Around the Network

why do so many of you think global warming is a myth? its clearly not, or do you just not like science? IMO Global Warming is definetley REAL, so we should invest in alternate energy sources, taxation dosent help, as it just alienates people, alternate energy is the key to saving the planet.

The thing that gets me the most about global warming is the ENTIRE attitude that we can change anything in this world. We are a speck compared to the grand scheme of nature. The world has ways of dealing with problems like heat and cold. The entire system was setup so that we cannot stop it from happening. The arrogance of people to think that changing a lightbulb will mean one iota of difference to the "health" of the planet! The absolute pompous egos they must have. I cannot change when summer gets here, nor how hot it will be. No one can. Everything they see as a "problem" is either a coincidence of timing, or a non-problem.

Who is to say what the ideal temperature is? O, that is right, the scientists... those same people who thought that global cooling was happening in the 70s. Did you know that there were civilizations (likely colonies) of Vikings on Greenland? They grew crops there. Now, how warm would it have to be to grow crops on Greenland? A LOT WARMER THAN IT IS TODAY! They didn't even have combustion back then... and to think we are causing global warming...

Did you know that the Sun has cycles? It releases more heat at times through sunspots and solar flares. Other times it is relatively quiet in those regards. Now who is to say that the sun is not responsible for this rise of temperatures? Lets see... about 30 years ago the scare was Global Cooling... The sun has a cycle of roughly 22 years. You do the math.

Arrogance and political invasiveness really get to me, and this hoax is the Grandfather of them all.

luinil said:
The thing that gets me the most about global warming is the ENTIRE attitude that we can change anything in this world. We are a speck compared to the grand scheme of nature. The world has ways of dealing with problems like heat and cold. The entire system was setup so that we cannot stop it from happening. The arrogance of people to think that changing a lightbulb will mean one iota of difference to the "health" of the planet! The absolute pompous egos they must have. I cannot change when summer gets here, nor how hot it will be. No one can. Everything they see as a "problem" is either a coincidence of timing, or a non-problem.

Who is to say what the ideal temperature is? O, that is right, the scientists... those same people who thought that global cooling was happening in the 70s. Did you know that there were civilizations (likely colonies) of Vikings on Greenland? They grew crops there. Now, how warm would it have to be to grow crops on Greenland? A LOT WARMER THAN IT IS TODAY! They didn't even have combustion back then... and to think we are causing global warming...

Did you know that the Sun has cycles? It releases more heat at times through sunspots and solar flares. Other times it is relatively quiet in those regards. Now who is to say that the sun is not responsible for this rise of temperatures? Lets see... about 30 years ago the scare was Global Cooling... The sun has a cycle of roughly 22 years. You do the math.

Arrogance and political invasiveness really get to me, and this hoax is the Grandfather of them all.

so every scientist who has ever said global warming is a fact is wrong, thats alot of scientists you know, i agree that in the past scientists were wrong about a global cooling, but science evolves just as people do, and i think that the scientists of today are alot better than thoose around 20-30 years ago.

PS360ForTheWin said:
luinil said:

so every scientist who has ever said global warming is a fact is wrong, thats alot of scientists you know, i agree that in the past scientists were wrong about a global cooling, but science evolves just as people do, and i think that the scientists of today are alot better than thoose around 20-30 years ago.

So you think that the same people and community that was wrong then CANNOT POSSIBLY be wrong today? PHUEY!! Open your eyes and question what you think you know. You will learn many things this way.

Meh, my PS3 hasn't killed me yet, so I'm not worried. Even if I do somehow die from "toxic chemicals" at least I had a ton of fun.