By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Goodbye PSP...

As some of you know, I work in the mobile (phone) industry - games, tech and the like (only been there for just over a year though).

I have serious doubts about the longevity of the PSP - as phones get more powerful, and start to creep more and more into the space that the PSP (general media/games player) occupies.

Well, after seeing this - I am pretty much convinced the PSP is dead. It will take a year for the iPhone to get out, and propagate through the market - but once it happens (and Apple get some games running on the phone), the PSP will be yesterdays toy.

The similarity between the iPhone and the MS Surface is also pretty striking. Here comes the generation of touch control / UI...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

You're right 20 million plus out there... you know I'm just gonna throw mine away too

Nice post/pics, I can't believe people think apple couldnt be a force to be reconed with if they got into games

nice troll post. If you think that thing has the juice to play a game for more than 2 hours, your kinda crazy. Also, I seriously doubt it has the power of a PSP. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it is going to cost something like 500$ *WITH* contract. Sounds like a steal for me.

EDIT: Also, if you have ever tried to play a game 100% with a touch-pad... your in for a treat. Most DS games dont rely on the touch screen 100%. Also, the battery in the PSP weighs damn near as much as that thing. The 'modern' PSP revision, is using relativly new technology, and I dont know about your PSP... but mine gets kinda hot where the processor is. I'd really hate to hold something that small in my hand, that would get that hot. Also, they talk about great video and such, but 4/8gb really isnt that much. It's not even as good as a good-ole 2 year  old Ipod. Hate to say it, but I've known about this for quite a while, and I dont know how much of a cell phone insider you are, but the fact that you just seem to have realized about this phone, makes me think your a crappy insider. I knew about it almost a year ago. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

iPhone would sooner replace DS than PSP, because iPhone is touch sensitive and DS/DS-like games/emulation requires less CPU.

Isn't PSP doing something with VoIP anyway?

Around the Network

Cell phones are NOT gaming platforms.

The majority of people that buy up these 'hot new' cell phones, aren't doing it because it can play cool games, it's because it's some expensive fashion statement. Something they can whip out and look all cool because they spent 500+ on a phone that... allows you to talk to people. Sure, it's bound to have some cool features, a touch screen, music playing is all well and good, but saying an iPhone can compete with a game system is like saying it can compete with a Canon camera because it can take photos too.

The iphone was shown ages ago, how does that effect the PSP as a gaming machine? You think this thing can play PSP level games?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I also love how this is posted in the SONY forums.............

troll much?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ampillion said:
Cell phones are NOT gaming platforms.

The majority of people that buy up these 'hot new' cell phones, aren't doing it because it can play cool games, it's because it's some expensive fashion statement. Something they can whip out and look all cool because they spent 500+ on a phone that... allows you to talk to people. Sure, it's bound to have some cool features, a touch screen, music playing is all well and good, but saying an iPhone can compete with a game system is like saying it can compete with a Canon camera because it can take photos too.

Idunno, the new sony ericsson phones rival canon point-and-shoot cameras... :P

Too bad I'm leaving the Cingular network... so no more sony ericsson phones for me. :(( 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

I dont even think people are going to pay $500 for a phone.