By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The text in games are getting bad.

I'm not saying the writing of video games is getting bad, but I noticed something. It might just be me, but isn't the actual text in these videogames getting a little too small. I think they don't want to sacrifice HUD space to write subtitles or directions in a bigger font.

For example: Army of Two- great game nonetheless, but there is a good chunk of text you have to read to learn the control, but why is the font a little small, especially when I have to know whether to click down on the analog or push it up.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter- My goodness! I could barely read the directions for this thing. The subtitiles are really small along with the menu text.

I have really good eyesight know doubt and I can read exceptionally (big word) well. But the text in these games are getting small. Anyone agree? Examples?  

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

I haven't really noticed anything, but now that you mentioned it I'm sure I will.

SaviorX said:

I'm not saying the writing of video games is getting bad, but I noticed something. It might just be me, but isn't the actual text in these videogames getting a little too small. I think they don't want to sacrifice HUD space to write subtitles or directions in a bigger font.

For example: Army of Two- great game nonetheless, but there is a good chunk of text you have to read to learn the control, but why is the font a little small, especially when I have to know whether to click down on the analog or push it up.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter- My goodness! I could barely read the directions for this thing. The subtitiles are really small along with the menu text.

I have really good eyesight know doubt and I can read exceptionally (big word) well. But the text in these games are getting small. Anyone agree? Examples?

you need to get an hdtv.

Yeah, I thought this was old news. Supposedly, it was a plan by game companies to motivate you to purchase an HDTV for their games. With HD, the words would be easier to read.

It is incredibly annoying with that SDTV problem. Don't they understand I'm only a kid and don't have 1k sitting around for a new TV, and my parents are not going to care that I can't read the text in games (the texts in GTA IV were annoying too)

Around the Network

It might just be me, but isn't the actual text in these videogames getting a little too small

Do you have a SD TV? PS360 games are optimized for HDTVs so text could get very small.

Kyros said:
It might just be me, but isn't the actual text in these videogames getting a little too small

Do you have a SD TV? PS360 games are optimized for HDTVs so text could get very small.

Hold on, lemme check.....

24" inch Sanyo S-D-T......well...... I guess its my TV! That's mad wack that the text would be smaller on an SDTV because of "optimization" or whatever. I'm just a boy, I can't get HD!! 

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

yea with old tvs the next gen get really pixalized u need hdtv

Yeah this is what happens when game companies blow all their money on graphics. Then they get all emo and want to shrink your text so it's not "in the way" of the bloom and the brown.

I have hard times seeing the actual games on my TV. I've messed with the settings to jack up the brightness and everything, but it still sucks. So my problem is not necessarily the text so much as I need a new (preferably HD) TV.