By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix - scared of real competition?

Square Enix may take stakes in rivals

By Kiyoshi Takenaka and Noriyuki Hirata

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese videogame maker Square Enix Co Ltd (9684.T) said it is considering taking stakes in game developers to combat rising competition from established game publishers and other entertainment companies.

"Economies of scale and breadth of scope are getting important. It may be a business alliance or it may be us taking a stake in others, but we need to go beyond traditional Square Enix," Square Enix President Yoichi Wada told the Reuters Global Technology, Media and Telecoms Summit in Tokyo on Tuesday.

"We face competition not only from Japanese videogame companies but from game companies worldwide. We also see some new players from outside the videogame industry coming in," he said.

Game makers are rapidly consolidating to boost their competitiveness, with Electronic Arts (ERTS.O) planning to take over rival videogame maker Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (TTWO.O), while Vivendi's (http://VIV.PA">VIV.PA) game unit is merging with Activision Inc (ATVI.O).

Square Enix, creator of blockbuster game series including "Dragon Quest," "Final Fantasy" and "Kingdom Hearts," was itself created in 2003 through a merger of two leading Japanese game makers.

Asked if Square Enix is currently in talks with others, Wada said: "That's part of a CEO's job. That's part of our routine work."

Square Enix said last month it would move to a holding company structure in October, saying it was necessary to move to the kind of organization that could respond to business tie-ups and investment opportunities quickly and flexibly.

Wada said Square Enix has no fixed budget for investing in other companies, but he pointed out that management is allowed to issue about 290 million additional shares without approval at a general shareholders' meeting.

"I'm not suggesting we are going to use up all that. But we have a capacity to do that," he said.

Based on Tuesday's closing price, 290 million shares in Square Enix are worth 960 billion yen ($9.20 billion).

Wada also said he aims to boost the ratio of overseas videogame software sales among its total game software revenues to 80 percent in three years from about 50 percent now.

Following his comments, shares in Square Enix were up 0.9 percent at 3,300 yen in early afternoon, outperforming the Nikkei average (.N225), which fell 0.8 percent.

Square Enix is set to announce earnings results for the year ended March 31 and outlook for the current business year on Friday.

Analysts on average expect Square Enix's operating profit to come to 32.4 billion yen in the current business year to March 2009, up sharply from the company's own estimate for the previous business year of 21 billion yen.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080520/tc_nm/summit_square_enix_dc

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

They and FF are extremely overrated these days. Far better RPG devs out there.

Hmm is it a trend for all the 360 guys to hate on Square?

I'm not saying any of them are wrong but... it's just an observation.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Yeah they're scared. If someone else actually manages to make a popular RPG that sales enough to get a sequel it means they'll have to start trying again. Hooray!

twesterm said:
Yeah they're scared. If someone else actually manages to make a popular RPG that sales enough to get a sequel it means they'll have to start trying again. Hooray!

I hope they step their game up against competition and don't do like EA and try to buy them. 

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network
dib8rman said:
Hmm is it a trend for all the 360 guys to hate on Square?

I'm not saying any of them are wrong but... it's just an observation.
I don't think that's the case at all. Publishers like Atlus and Nippon Ichi are thinking outside the box and giving us wonderful, fresh and exciting games. Square for the most part is just giving us more of the same. If you look at last gen on PS2, see how many of those great RPGs came from Square because most people want to go back and say how exciting Disgaea was, or Persona 3, or Odin Sphere, or Suikoden III, while many got dissappointed time and time again as Square started becoming stale after so much inovation working on the original Playstation. Considering we are 2 1/2 years into this generation and Square still hasn't released anything substantial on consoles and won't until very late this year, I think it's fair to hate on Square a little right now. This in no way means we should tash them, as a major focus for them now is the DS and PSP where I feel Square's doing their best work since the SNES, but that's another story.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I have rather enjoyed some of their previous works. Imo, they have gone down hill and have realized they arent the pinnacle of gaming. They realized there is real competition that they should be concerned about.
The first thought i had when reading the article was that they were scared of competitors...thats just how it comes off to me.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
Square Enix said last month it would move to a holding company structure in October, saying it was necessary to move to the kind of organization that could respond to business tie-ups and investment opportunities quickly and flexibly.

The sound you hear is Microsoft is opening its checkbook again.

There hasn't been too many square games on home consoles so far. Most of them are going to handhelds. If you think square is overated get a ds and/or psp and try out new games like the world ends with you.

OK, on the DS, Square has made GREAT games.

On the home consoles, they haven't made squat. Final Fantasy XIII, come on. If that is the only thing they have, then they are in for some trouble.

No longer are they the RPG kings like they were in the SNES & PS1 era. They only have come out with like two games (Kingdom Hearts & Final Fantasy X-XII *correct me if I'm wrong*) ever since. They need to make more IPs for the consoles. I mean damn, where is the love?

Companies like Atlus are making several more games a year that aren't necessarily worth 50 million dollars, but make enough money for some profit and building reputation. I didn't even know about Atlus 2 years ago. I think Square has relied on blockbusters up to this point.

Oh yeah, stop coming out with Final Fantasy spin-offs that fund true Final Fantasies! I know that sounds retarded, but I think you guys know what I mean. When are they going to hit the Wii with a serious game?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."