By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix - scared of real competition?

SaviorX said:

No longer are they the RPG kings like they were in the SNES & PS1 era. They only have come out with like two games (Kingdom Hearts & Final Fantasy X-XII *correct me if I'm wrong*) ever since. They need to make more IPs for the consoles. I mean damn, where is the love?

Yes, Square hardly puts out any games these days. Why, look at this tiny list of PS2 releases:

Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy X-2
Unlimited Saga
Front Mission 4
Front Mission 5: Scars of War
Dragon Quest V
Star Ocean 3: Director's Cut
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Radiata Stories
Musashi: Samurai Legend
Romancing SaGa
Front Mission Online
Drakengard 2
Fullmetal Alchemist 2: Curse of the Crimson Elixir
Fullmetal Alchemist 3: Kami o Tsugu Shoujo
Grandia III
Heavy Metal Thunder
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy X
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Kingdom Hearts II
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Dawn of Mana
Odin Sphere
Unlimited Saga
The Bouncer
Driving Emotion Type-S
All Star Pro-Wrestling

Pathetic. They should have released at least 50 times that, right?

Around the Network

I am surprised hearing that from a company that followed Sony so closely we could have tought they are 2nd party. NO the wind has turned and PS3 isn't as dominant as it was. It's no wonder that while they decided to continue to support exclusively the PS3 with their big titles, other companies are taking the 78% market share that are not held by PS3.

Come on, why haven't they started development on a Wii title (aside from Crystal Chronicles) and a 360 title?

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Square just knows it needs to look for new opportunities in whatever form they may be in order to remain successful. Square is pretty smart in terms of maintaining their own internal operations.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Square just knows it needs to look for new opportunities in whatever form they may be in order to remain successful. Square is pretty smart in terms of maintaining their own internal operations.

That's why they've almost had to file for bankruptcy multiple times in their company history and would have if not for a few generous donors.

Words Of Wisdom said:
akuma587 said:

That's why they've almost had to file for bankruptcy multiple times in their company history and would have if not for a few generous donors.

How many mulitple times?  I can think of two, before they made the first Final Fantasy and after they released Spirits Within and took a 100 million dollar loss because the people developing it took the Sony route and thought, it has Final Fantasy in the name it will make lots of money.  The first part they ended up making Final Fantasy and everything worked out and the second they ended up merging with Enix.

Around the Network

@cwbys21

About FF:Spirits within

"not people".....but Sakaguchi thought that...later on he couldn't bear the shame & left the company out of guilt.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Words Of Wisdom said:
SaviorX said:

No longer are they the RPG kings like they were in the SNES & PS1 era. They only have come out with like two games (Kingdom Hearts & Final Fantasy X-XII *correct me if I'm wrong*) ever since. They need to make more IPs for the consoles. I mean damn, where is the love?

Yes, Square hardly puts out any games these days. Why, look at this tiny list of PS2 releases:

Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy X-2
Unlimited Saga
Front Mission 4
Front Mission 5: Scars of War
Dragon Quest V
Star Ocean 3: Director's Cut
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Radiata Stories
Musashi: Samurai Legend
Romancing SaGa
Front Mission Online
Drakengard 2
Fullmetal Alchemist 2: Curse of the Crimson Elixir
Fullmetal Alchemist 3: Kami o Tsugu Shoujo
Grandia III
Heavy Metal Thunder
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy X
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Kingdom Hearts II
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Dawn of Mana
Odin Sphere
Unlimited Saga
The Bouncer
Driving Emotion Type-S
All Star Pro-Wrestling

Pathetic. They should have released at least 50 times that, right?

Woah woah woah. Slow down. Maybe I should've said THIS "GENERATION"........and not included KH & FF. I know I said correct me if I'm wrong but, you could've hit me with less examples. LOL

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

cwbys21 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
akuma587 said:

How many mulitple times? I can think of two, before they made the first Final Fantasy and after they released Spirits Within and took a 100 million dollar loss because the people developing it took the Sony route and thought, it has Final Fantasy in the name it will make lots of money. The first part they ended up making Final Fantasy and everything worked out and the second they ended up merging with Enix.

Multiple means "more than one" and wasn't there a 3rd time where a significant Sony investment bailed them out of trouble... or was that along with the Enix merger?

SaviorX said:

Woah woah woah. Slow down. Maybe I should've said THIS "GENERATION"........and not included KH & FF. I know I said correct me if I'm wrong but, you could've hit me with less examples. LOL

The Squeenix release list for the DS/PSP this generation is approximately 3-4 times longer than the PS2 one above. I'd rather not have to look all of those up.

For consoles this generation, they haven't done much though. 

@WoW
I think the money from Sony had to do with Spirits Within bombing so bad, and then Sony bought part of Square and then Square merged with Enix.

@Darthdevil
Sakaguchi did believe that but was he the head guy on Spirits Within? Or did he report to someone, because I thought that he decided to put all the money in and convinced his superiors it was worth it. Though after making all those FF games he might have had enough pull to make a bunch of decisions by himself. It's been so long I can't really remember.