By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Wii Fit a 8.0 WOW WHAT HAPPENED to core reviewers these days?

Have they changed of heart?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/875/875214p2.html

7.0 Presentation
A robust list of exercises and mini-games, easy to navigate menus, and on-screen instructors. Clings to misleading BMI and lacks bells and whistles where graphics and audio are concerned.
5.0 Graphics
Simple. Basic. Will not seem daunting to newcomers. There's polish to the graphics, but they also border on the generic side.
6.0 Sound
Crisp, clean voice commands from on-screen instructors and the music is fitting. The instructions, though, are repeated too often.
8.0 Gameplay
Great fun and a great workout at the same time. Not at all gimmicky. You will feel the burn and wake up sore the next morning.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
More than 40 different challenges and, like any exercise program, you will keep coming back, again and again.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

To be fair, reviewing a game like Wii Fit is incredibly hard. How do you compare it to something like GTA4 or Brawl, when it's completely different, and aimed at a different audience?

^ Most core reviewers says otherwise in Wii Sports and Wii Play though, I even heard in gametrailers that Wii Sports have Nintendo 64 graphics.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

@Parokki

It's much easier than you think.

Graphics would be gauged under purpose- these games are real life simulators in a sense with intention, to understand the graphic quality you need to understand the over all games goal.

In this case the graphics just have to be good enough that way objects are distinguishable and allows for a degree of comfort as for immersion; that would come while playing the game.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

It is something completely new and I think that an 8 is an excellent score for it. I guess IGN thinks that it's better than Haze and that's a game aimed at the core gamer.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

I agree that reviewing this is not easy. Its like a race car driver reviewing a family sedan.

They should have gotten a fitness expert to review it...as most gamers will break a sweat by just dipping their nachos in salsa.

yushire said:
^ Most core reviewers says otherwise in Wii Sports and Wii Play though, I even heard in gametrailers that Wii Sports have Nintendo 64 graphics.

that was at wiis launch, gaming websites have matured a lot since then to the concept of casual gaming.. but i don't think they are quite there yet (despite this particular 8 score being pretty fair)

i think its a fair score for it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

disolitude said:
I agree that reviewing this is not easy. Its like a race car driver reviewing a family sedan.

They should have gotten a fitness expert to review it...as most gamers will break a sweat by just dipping their nachos in salsa.

This is where I will get flamed, but they should not have reviewed it at all, or reviewed the balance board as a game device.

If you want a fitness expert to review it, go to a fitness site. Most all of them have reviews on WiiFit.

yushire said:

Have they changed of heart?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/875/875214p2.html

7.0 Presentation
A robust list of exercises and mini-games, easy to navigate menus, and on-screen instructors. Clings to misleading BMI and lacks bells and whistles where graphics and audio are concerned.
5.0 Graphics
Simple. Basic. Will not seem daunting to newcomers. There's polish to the graphics, but they also border on the generic side.
6.0 Sound
Crisp, clean voice commands from on-screen instructors and the music is fitting. The instructions, though, are repeated too often.
8.0 Gameplay
Great fun and a great workout at the same time. Not at all gimmicky. You will feel the burn and wake up sore the next morning.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
More than 40 different challenges and, like any exercise program, you will keep coming back, again and again.

So, did you read the review? Or just the scores? Because its pretty well laid out why it got what it did.

If you didnt read the review, may I suggest never posting on an internet forum again until you learn to get all your facts lined up before hand? 

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"