By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can the Wii remote be copied and if so what's the point of patents

Kwaad said:

That is what tennis is about. Wii sports does not implement that very well. (any of those well... if even implemented)

I don’t know about you, but I was able to hit top-spins, back-spins, down-the-line, cross-court, fast, slow, lobs, flat shots, and overheads.  I can generate many angles, and volley deep or short into the court.  All this based on my motion and timing -- pretty good for a first attempt.  The mechanics aren’t exactly accurate (I won’t deny that), but they’re close enough to hit the shot you intended. 

Do we really want it so perfect so it’s as difficult to play as real tennis?  I enjoy the sport and the game, but how many would actually enjoy the game if it was just as difficult as the sport?

Around the Network

The biggest limitation of the image-processing camera approach is that it's inherently limited to 2-D. Say you're swinging a golf club toward the screen a la Wii Sports golf, with the camera mounted near the screen. The camera can't really measure the arc of your swing the way the 3-D Wii remote can, because it can't see it from anything but a flat perspective, unless you face away from the screen or place the camera so that your arc is perpendicular to the camera.

Now, of course, you can make some reasonable assumptions (the user's arm is likely not growing or shrinking during the movement) -- but even then I don't think you can easily tell whether it's moving TOWARD or AWAY from the camera. And trying to get two cameras set up to solve that problem, then keep them in synch and have proper lighting from two different angles so both cameras can see what's going on... the mind begins to boggle from a consumer application standpoint. (I was never able to get the PS2 Eyetoy lit properly in my home theatre, without washing out the screen and/or being unable to see myself well enough to play! Either my head was lit or my hands, never both, due to light source placement limitations.)

As primitive as the Wiimote will seem when the next generation of motion controls comes along, it's much, much better at telling what the heck you're doing than a single camera can be. Subtle motions, shifts in the player's position, variations in player height -- all of that is quite nicely handled or filtered out as needed by a handheld device capturing real time 3-D positional, angle and speed data.

Anything like visual motion capture is much, much more demanding on the player as well as the hardware, and will generally be much more laggy and imprecise with today's technology -- image noise and uneven lighting in, bad control out.

Now, to go beyond the Wiimote to a more full-body experience, maybe some sort of "accelerometer suit" that could map out your body's movements at key joints would work -- in fact, I think there's a company marketing a cheaper motion-capture technology based on that very idea. If THAT could be brought down to a reliable and inexpensive home level it could be very fun to mess around with. But still not pick-up-and-play for the average human being -- who wants to put on a full-body device just to play a game?

Just means you need an additional camera to capture the side of the person. I think the image processing route is the way to go because it seems superior to having to hold props all the time. Plus it captures jumps, ducking, etc. which a prop system cannot distinguish from your putting your hands up and down, unless you're wearing something on your head as well or something (like a full-gadget suit, like you said).  It can also track your head movements by following your eyes, etc.

z64dan said:
ampillion said:
  Noone's going to put on all black clothing, paint their room entirely green, and put a bunch of little balls all over their body. 

Uh, speak for yourself.

I'm in too.... I've got the paint, who's got the balls :)

No silly, its completely different from an eyetoy.  Can an eye toy see your movements and correspond them in the game?? I didnt think so! ...o wait...  Poor gates.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
For those of you who say Wii tennis is better than Tennis. I dont know how many of you have played tennis much, but Wii sports, tennis, is so simple and easy, it's as smiple as swining a remote, in a mocking motion of watching tennis on TV. It's much easier for me, to put the tennis ball in real life where I want it, than in Wii Sports. It's just modern technology dosent allow for the sensetivity I ask from that kind of controller. Maybe next gen.

Thats why Wii tennis is better, cause real life isnt fun. If real life was fun, we wouldnt have video games.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.