By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can the Wii remote be copied and if so what's the point of patents

what bill gates was thinking of was a vision of the future were you might bring in a tennis racket and start playing

Around the Network

pathetic, from the wii is for babies to talking about how the only sinificant way to expand is to DO WHAT NINTEN-DOES.

seriously, is he in denial?  Lets be realistic though, how can MS and Sony sinificantly expand on their next gen console, without doing something different like what Nintendo has done. Not neccesarily a motion sensing controller (although I feel nintendo has made it hard to beat) but simply something of their own and different.  But I guess they dont have to make a next gen console. Maybe they realized that and thats why they seem to release a new version every month.  Next will be the Xbox lite and PS3 lite.... wait?

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

How come everyone says Sony or Microsoft are copying Nintendo? The way I remember it, Sony's Eyetoy came out first (last generation), then the Wii and, around the same time as the Wii, some company developed an Eyetoy-like device for 360, which is what Microsoft will probably unveil soon if Bill Gates's remarks are to be taken as hints.

For those of you who say Wii tennis is better than Tennis. I dont know how many of you have played tennis much, but Wii sports, tennis, is so simple and easy, it's as smiple as swining a remote, in a mocking motion of watching tennis on TV. It's much easier for me, to put the tennis ball in real life where I want it, than in Wii Sports. It's just modern technology dosent allow for the sensetivity I ask from that kind of controller. Maybe next gen.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Wii tennis is nothing like real tennis. Real tennis is farking difficult and involves a lot of controlling different spins, pace, angles, and things that are greatly influenced by the smallest change of your wrist or angle of the racquet face. I'm not that great at real tennis, though I am experimenting and learning, but I kick ass at Wii tennis.

Around the Network
JSF said:
How come everyone says Sony or Microsoft are copying Nintendo? The way I remember it, Sony's Eyetoy came out first (last generation), then the Wii and, around the same time as the Wii, some company developed an Eyetoy-like device for 360, which is what Microsoft will probably unveil soon if Bill Gates's remarks are to be taken as hints.

Do you know what the Eyetoy reminds me of? The gameboy color camera. That thing was badass.

Eyetoy did software motion tracking. It could interpret where your hands, legs and head were from the footage it was taking of you. It was pretty cool but obviously ahead of its time. I don't know if anyone remembers Samba de Amigo for the Dreamcast. It was crazy popular and the first-party maraca controllers for it became really rare and expensive (fetching over $100 each on eBay). Well, you could actually play that on Eyetoy without needing any maracas at all. The camera tracks your hands without your needing to be holding any other peripherals (such as maracas). Of course, if you wanted to hold something in your hand to make like you were actually holding something, you could grab something random, like your TV remote.  Another example of an Eyetoy game was this futuristic jet-skateboard game.  I demoed it at an EB Games.  It could see and interpret your body leans and everything.

JSF said:
Wii tennis is nothing like real tennis. Real tennis is farking difficult and involves a lot of controlling different spins, pace, angles, and things that are greatly influenced by the smallest change of your wrist or angle of the racquet face. I'm not that great at real tennis, though I am experimenting and learning, but I kick ass at Wii tennis.

That is what tennis is about. Wii sports does not implement that very well. (any of those well... if even implemented)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Samba de Amigo (and other Sega motion controlled-version games, like Nights and Virtua Fighter and 7 other games) is available in this collection: http://www.amazon.com/Sega-10086630602-Superstars-Eyetoy/dp/B0002EJ866

Here's that futuristic hoverboard game: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-711719741428-Eyetoy-Antigrav-Camera/dp/B0002KMHD6

Haha, Bill Gates can be one funny guy sometimes. Love what he has to say.

Game of the year.

Now Playing: Guitar Hero III (Wii)