By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom, do the really have the right stuff anymore?

Capcom will not turn into Crapcom, thay always launch new great IPs every generation, I wish they could revive the Breath of Fire seires on the Wii.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:

Resident Evil 4 was no doubt the opus of the Resident Evil series, a complete detour in direction and style but a much needed breath of fresh air. However its director has left Capcom as well for Platinum Games in much the same respect that DMC's director left. Now with the highly anticipated RE5 looming over the horizon, what can we expect from it? With promises of a return to the style of the earlier RE games, will this too turn out to be a dissapointment or lack luster successor?

Am I just being overly synical, or do some of you have the where with all to see what I'm seeing here? Is the one-two-punch of losing Clover coupled with the higher investment required for HD gaming wearing down the Capcom we once knew?

Hum...if anything, people are worried that Capcom is going to stick to the style of RE4.  Everything we've seen and heard of RE5 is reminiscent of RE4.  The game looks awesome so far.

I do think you are being overly synical.  The loss of Clover is sad, but it's not like they are lost to gamers.  They are also making an HD game.  HD is not ruining capcom.  Every developer has games that aren't "game of the year" such as Lost Planet and Dead Rising.  Those games were still fun. 

Capcom has never produced many game of the years, but they continue to produce quality games.

The lists others have made are full of games that reviewers have seen and been very impressed and excited for. 

Capcom in my opinion makes good games....however...there desicions on what to do with them piss me off....specifically monster hunter.
First we don't get MH2 in america until about 2 years later...and we don't even get it on ps2...only on psp. Don't get me wrong its a great PSP game and i even played it on XLink Kai....but I would have prefered PS2. THEN monterhunter 3 goes to wii...not on ps3 at all...Now that makes me want to rip there hair out of my skull.
I know there are a lot of people who like wii in this thread...I'am not gonna turn this into a bash thread. However if MH3 has been in develoment for 2 years for ps3....you don't just scrap it O_O Finish what you have....if you wanna make it for wii make it a bloody spinoff or port it or something but don't Scrap it....thats 2 years of development you lost.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

..No mention of Dead Rising, anywhere? Great, well-reviewed game.

Capcom still has the talent. Omniusha, not to be mean, but you don't own a PS3 or 360, do you? Capcom still makes a great bit of good games for those systems, and the general public is ultra-hyped for RE5.

You might not like the "play it safe" approach Capcom is taking on some of their IPs like RE5, but that doesn't diminish the fact that it, and many of their games are going to be great.

And WTF is the comment about RE5 turning back to the older RE's, and not like #4? Have you bothered with watching the movies that show that it looks like RE4 with actual horror, and the most detailed environments for a horror game, ever?

Don't get me wrong, I still want a multi-plat Breath of Fire 6 so I can get back into the series, but Capcom is still a great company, and is doing more with their series than Konami is right now.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

So what has Capcom done before that was better than now? Devil May Cry3 sucked. Yes I know best in the series blabla. It was boring repetitive and far too hard. I don't know how DmC4 is but it cannot be much worse.

And for Clover? Yes they had Okami but nobody played it and apparently GodHand was the worst game ever (TM)

Resident Evil5 on the other hand looks amazing.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:

Let's face it, who didn't love Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 3, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand... and if the last few titles on this list have you saying, "hey wait" then I think you've grasp where I'm taking this. With some of the big movers and shakers of Capcom lost to Platinum games (the artistic successor to Capcom's sub-studio Clover), does Capcom really have what it takes to make the same games they once did last generation?

Devil May Cry 3, the inarguable best in the Devil May Cry series lost its director to Platinum Games who is now working on the upcomming game Bayonneta. Devil May Cry 4, the much anticipated successor, showed us a return to mediocrity and a lack of direction in the series after it had struggled so hard to overcome the salvage job of a RE4 prototype that was the first game and the tragedy of a rush job that was the second. DMC4 is a bitter dissapointment, a game that doesn't even trust you to play most of the first couple hours, argued by some to be a ploy to make the game look good to developers playing it for just a few hours before writing a review. And the game's asinine dice rolling system coupled with a complete recycling of the first half of the game to make the second half just leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. And this is after the game had already been pushed back nearly a year.

Resident Evil 4 was no doubt the opus of the Resident Evil series, a complete detour in direction and style but a much needed breath of fresh air. However its director has left Capcom as well for Platinum Games in much the same respect that DMC's director left. Now with the highly anticipated RE5 looming over the horizon, what can we expect from it? With promises of a return to the style of the earlier RE games, will this too turn out to be a dissapointment or lack luster successor?

The creative talent behind games like Viewtiful Joe, Godhand and Okami is obviously lost now too. And even with liscence to these franchises still intact Capcom doesn't even have the free resources to make ports of games like Okami for the Wii because of all the effort being put into their massive HD gaming projects and have to outsource such side projects to smaller studios like Ready at Dawn.

What has Capcom done since the dissapearance of Clover to warrant our former respect for them? Zack & Wiki, a fun game but nothing to the calibur that was once Clover. Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, a fun rail shooter painfully symptomatic of being a rush job. Lost Planet was mediocre, and I appreciate some of you love the game, but let's be serious its not game of the year material. Dead Rising was a fun concept, but it's not AAA material. The evidence stands that they can make good games, just not great games like they used to.

I suppose you can always say hooray for Monster Hunter, but it'll take more than that for them to earn my respect as one of the best developers.

Am I just being overly synical, or do some of you have the where with all to see what I'm seeing here? Is the one-two-punch of losing Clover coupled with the higher investment required for HD gaming wearing down the Capcom we once knew?

DMC4 is great , and RE5 looks like it will be even better than 4 ..... now all I say lets wait for the next console Megaman and if that will be great to , than Il say yes ;) 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

DMC4 is a great game.It seems ,though ,that Wii fans that arent able to play it hate it with a passion for some reason.They started saying the the Wii could produce graphics on the same level and once they were said no it couldnt they just started to hate on the title.

Capcom still has the right stuff...

I don't mean to draw conclusions, but I think the fact that RE5 or DMC4 aren't/havent come/coming to the Wii has more to do with this thread, rather than Capcom 'falling off' per se.

Onimusha, have you actually played DMC4 to say it was a disappointment? Because I thought you only owned a Wii? I thought DMC4 was a blast, just as good as DMC3 if you asked me. And please.... God Hand a good game? Have you played that as well? It was BAD! I think you're being too harsh on RE5. I'm pretty sure you wanted it on the Wii.. so you must have liked it to some point. And if it was announced for the wii, you'll probably take what u said back about it.
You can't really say this about Capcom anyway, alot of companies become like this. Its not so easy to come up with a new IP thats good, and they actually did a few. Zak and Wiki, Dead Rising and Lost Planet were all great. Also as a franchise moves along, its harder to please everytime, but most the time, they do a great job! So far every RE game I've played has been great (1-4 that is, no spin offs). I liked every DMC so far (2 wasn't so great, but i did enjoy it). They may be playing it safe to some extent, but they're not as conservative as some other developers are.
And you can not deny it. Capcom are one of the best developers. Without them we wouldn't have Resident Evil and Street Fighter, they're an important part of gaming. I know for sure that people in Japan would be praising them right now for Monster Hunter lol. Thats another reason why you've got to love them. They're doing the PSP a great honor there! I love Capcom, and I know you do too Onimusha =P

The company is fine atm and any good company will quickly fill the void of talent left or they will fall by the way side.

"Like you know"