By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Official Updates

Pretty sure it's supposed to be like that. It's active and exciting!

I agree with many that the stages so far are too small...I'm not sure if Sakurai realizes how many people prefer larger stages. There's almost always too many standard layout stages...Bridge of Eldin looks cool though. The Star Fox level is a bit bigger than normal as well.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Pretty sure it's supposed to be like that. It's active and exciting!

I agree with many that the stages so far are too small...I'm not sure if Sakurai realizes how many people prefer larger stages. There's almost always too many standard layout stages...Bridge of Eldin looks cool though. The Star Fox level is a bit bigger than normal as well.

I know. It looks so awesome!

Lylat Cruise is my favorite stage shown so far. My sister hates it so much because it's Fox's stage. >_>  I actually prefer the smaller stages, things get more hectic!

My favorite level in Melee was Hyrule Castle because it was so huge. We'd spend 90% of the fighting on that tiny little 1 inch platform at the bottom. We called it the UBZ and rather than play for time or stock, we'd play for the honor of controlling the UBZ for the longest amount of time. Many a sausage were cooked up on the UBZ by my Mr. G&W. So far all these stages look really awesome, and I like how crazy and distracting they are, and they look gorgeous too. But I hope we get a couple gigantic ones as well. I don't mind the zooming out at all, especially with how good the new graphics are.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Yeah I always liked Hyrule Castle a lot. We need a big stage with lots of platforms.

I found this, it is not created by me:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/5839/brawlpaper10qw4.jpg

and I hated Temple. Too big, not enough action.

Around the Network

That has to be the laziest attempt at a wallpaper I have ever seen. That guy literally just magic wanded every character then went "Layer, Layer Style, Outer Glow, Enter" saved it and said "HAY GUYS I MADE A WALLPAPER!"

^This guy needs to calm down.

and it's way better then anything I could ever make.

Not bad, they're just in a big column though....be nicer if they were arranged somehow.

Also, I didn't like Temple that much...too big. The Corneria level was perfect for me and my friends. Battles could get quite intense, but you could back off if things got too crazy. But it's not so big that faster characters can just run away like cowards constantly like in the Temple.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
The Corneria level was perfect for me.

Corneria is my favorite stage in the Melee. I love the music and the design of the stage. My sister hates it so much.

naznatips said:
Helios said:
Ness is gone, I think. Promotion has always been a big part of the Smash Bros. series. Maybe NoA are preparing to localize Mother 3? Or maybe Sakurai is simply throwing starved Earthbound fans a new bone...

Anyway, guys, I wanted to ask you; Am I the only one who thinks there's a huge disparity in the music quality for Brawl and Galaxy? I mean, Galaxy *sounds* like its orchestrated (don’t actually know if it is) - Brawl isn't, except for the main theme. Perhaps this is one of the things that will be addressed during the extended development time, but given the effort going into this game, I’m quite surprised it was ever an issue. I dunno, maybe none of you noticed, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

PS. Galaxy has really, really awesome music. It might be the best of any single Nintendo game to date, IMO. I find it both funny and appropriate that Mario would lead the charge in this area as well - Galaxy being Nintendo’s first true Wii title and such.

Uh, all of Brawl's music is orchestrated.  Every single song. Honestly from what I haveheard of Galaxy's music I'd say it's exactly the other way around.  Comparing it to the beautiful orchestrated songs on the Brawl site makes Galaxy's music sound a little dull.  However, maybe it's just the quality of the Galaxy videos.  But as of now I would say there is a GIANT gap between Brawl's music and Galaxy's.

No offence, but I'm quite surpriced you would think that. I ask you to analyze the music in the Galaxy trailers and listen closely for the delicate cross-instrumental harmonies and resonances that are so typical for orchestral performances. In other words, there's obviously a whole lot more instruments playing simultaneously in Galaxy, and they sound better than anything in Brawl.

As for your examples, I'm a bit of a musician myself, but many people much more knowledgeable than you or me have confirmed most of Brawls music is not orchestral in nature. The main theme and MGS theme are the only songs that have not obviously been sequenced. And for the record, "epic" music or vocals do not imply an orchestral performance. In fact, Ashley's theme is probably one of the least likely songs to ever be orchestrated because it's a pop-style song with lyrics, which are the easiest to sequence realistically without the need of real instruments. In fact, most popular music is made this way.

I'm sorry for disturbing the peace here, but it's the truth to the best of my knowledge.