By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Official Updates

Update: Assist Trophies

What’s an Assist Trophy?!

Well, these are characters who appear to aid the fighter that called them forth. Basically, they’re guest characters separate from Smash’s playable roster!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is sort of like a festival that all sorts of characters show up for. Bear in mind, though, that you can’t control any of the characters appearing on these pages. Let there be no mistake about that.

In any case, you won’t know who is in an Assist Trophy until you use it.

Take the capsule and hold it high!

A Hammer Bro appears!

As you can see, he throws his famed hammers!

Actually, the Nintendog you saw in the E3 movie is also an Assist Trophy.

Aw.... Isn’t he cute!

You’re probably thinking that a Nintendog is a pretty poor assistant, since it blocks your view, too.

That’s fine. He’ll help calm your mental state.

Assist Trophies allow you to enjoy even more characters who couldn’t quite make it as playable fighters. You may even see some that only the most dedicated fans will recognize, so you’ll have to look forward to them.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Update: Samurai Goro

Here’s Samurai Goro, Captain Falcon’s rival. He’s an F-Zero Pilot. He wears the number five.

At last, Samurai Goro stands on the battlegrounds of Smash.

He just cuts, cuts, cuts away with the blade at his hip.

A reckless slasher of his enemies, Samurai Goro is not a man you want on your bad side.

By the way, the majority of Assist Trophies are invincible. Trying to fight back is useless, so just run away.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

HOLY CRAP!!!

A totally new type of item and a new character nobody had ever expected! No wait, I just figured that guy's an assistant trophy rather than a "real" character. Can't wait to show the updates in different order, and fool my roommate to believe Goro is a newcomer to the main characters. =P

Best possible Nintendo Fan Service game ever?? CONFIRMED!!!!

Every Single Nintendo character EVER in 3D as assistants? CONFIRMED*

3RD party assistants? Sonic is in the game, now Tails and Knuckles can be assistants? CONFIRMED*

Farrrrkkkk.... I want to play this game SO badly.

* This is complete speculation.

Dang.

I too was surprised seeing Samurai Goro...I thought he was too odd a choice for a playable character...then I realized he was an assist character. Very cool anyway!

This allows for so many different guest appearances...

It's essentially what Pokemon do...except now it's all sorts of characters, not just Pokemon.

Very good.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Around the Network

Meh, it's just a Pokeball with characters other than Pokemon characters.

Which is amazing...not meh!

Also, Mario's air dodging in that last pic...I'm not sure if I've actually seen them air dodging before...unless I just can't remember...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

This game is making me sick. I can`t wait anymore. Please Nintendo Gog grant my wish.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Very very cool... but I think I'm going to go insane waiting for this game. I wish they had never started this website, I wouldn't be so damn obsessed with it.

BenKenobi88 said:
Which is amazing...not meh!

Also, Mario's air dodging in that last pic...I'm not sure if I've actually seen them air dodging before...unless I just can't remember...

You're right.  I imagine when I look at this tomorrow when I'm actually awake I'll totally geek out over some of the possibilities and then cry because of the realization that some characters will only be assist trophies and not playable characters.