By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tales of Vesperia PS3 Confirmed in '08

Bodhesatva said:

Come on guys, I can't believe there is a discussion about whether Sony pays for exclusives. OF COURSE they do. Haze was in development for the PS3, 360 and PC simultaneously (this was stated), and then suddenly was a PS3 exclusive.

360 sells shooters like no one else. So if we can assume that Namco is being moneyhatted for ToV (which I agree is logical), why do we not assume the same for Sony? Do you we really think that Free Radical is making an extremely expensive, high budget shooter for the PS3 exclusively because gosh darnit, they love the PS3 so much?

What about UT III? What about the PS3 exclusive advertising for games like Assassin's Creed? Come on, people. Don't be naive. Ubisoft isn't doing PS3 only advertisements because Sony is their bestest buddy.

Nintendo seems to do this the least, but they aren't totally free either -- I think it's fairly clear that some deal was struck for Monster Hunter 3, for example. And do we consider moneyhatting a good thing, or a bad one? I just came out of the Famitsu thread, where those with a preference for the PS3 were explicitly disucssing moneyhatting, and how Sony should be offering financial assistance to third party companies in exchange for exclusives and additional content (which they already are, as I've stated). Now, it appears that Microsoft has facilitated an exclusive deal, and some of the exact same people from the Famitsu thread are complaining about it. Ugh.

I personally think all moneyhats are bad, because it isn't a sustainable business model. If third party companies need to rely on first party cash just to stay profitable, then something is wrong; likewise, if a console manufacturer literally needs to PAY people to put games on their system, then the economic environment for their system is inherently unhealthy. That means that I believe all moneyhats are bad for the gaming economy, be they for the PS3, 360, or Wii.

Thank you!  I agree.... in general.  Except i think a few moneyhats are a good thing for PS3 and 360.

Since, there is from what i can see no reason for a 3rd party to make a 360 or PS3 currently... since the estimated cost to go multiplatform instead is just an extra 10% cost.

As such, outside of first party games there would be almost no exclusives without moneyhatting.  Which would be bad for both now that the Wii is so radically different. 

Around the Network
bbsin said:
Omac said:
bbsin said:
Omac said:

gebx said:
Hi Everyone,

#1 - Japanese gaming market is dying, Japanese developers need to branch out

Avoiding the Japanese market (which given the correct console, would still have the largest fanbase of JRPGs) isn't branching out. Supporting the 360 is NOT suspect, supporting the 360 EXCLUSIVELY is.

#2 - NA is Japan's least succesful market in terms of JRPG's

No it is not.

#3 - 360 is one of the strongest markets for NA

This is true, but as said many times before, this has nothing to do with the point that Namco Bandai would be still ignoring 12.6 million PS3 owners around the world. Is there a solid reason why 12.6 can be ignored and still make any business sense? B/c the PS3 is too hard to program for? Tekken6 and Naruto looks great so that can't be reason.

#4 - Trying to expand in NA with the 360 to reach a new audience and growing a new userbase is a good strategy

It is a good stratedy and no one should dispute that. But SquareEnix is doing the same thing by releasing Last Remnant on BOTH consoles, that means they get the 18 million western xbox360 users to work with ASWELL as the 10 million western PS3 users, all that without neglecting thier Japanese fanbase.

I guess Antartica would be Japan's weakest market...

#1,3 and 4 comments really relate to the same thing...

Namco didn't believe PS3 ports could return a high enough return on investments. They're edging their bets on the American market to increase their sales, maybe they've even given up on the Japanese markets altogher. Why is Idolm@ster on the 360? well could be because Sony has singstar. Maybe Sony didn't even want idolmaster because it would of taken sales from singstar.

Also you mention 12.6 million, but that wasn't the userbase when these games where being developed or even released, the PS3 until 6-7 months ago was basically dead in the water. Add in the Blu Ray only users included in those numbers (the first couple months of the PS3 launch in Japan the hardware was outselling the games) probably scared the crap out of some developers.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Looking the fatal financial health of Sega, Namco's choice can be said "actual and reasonable."

Generally Japanese Game publisher is financially unstable, still major companies (except Nintendo). So the challenge for PS3 has the meanings as all-or-nothing gamble for them.

In contrast, if they release their game for Xbox360 exclusively,companies can get

* Development supports

* Supports of development cost

So, in Japan, the payout point of games for Xbox360 is extremely low compared with other consoles.

That is why, for the publishers, exclusive release for Xbox360 means "low sales number, but gain the profit."

Additionally, Namco is most successful company in the download contents. So they make full use of their know-how in other games.

As a results, for gaming users, Namco's decision is a subject for complaint. But from the sight of managements, their choice may be "reasonable."

(FWIW, there is a rumor that some third makers forecast to release their line-up for Xbox360.)

If you need something about Japanese market from the perspective of Japanese, please contact me.

ckmlb said:
According to the release schedule of Namco games on Bandainamco.co.jp (The official Japanese Namco site). The list is for '08 releases and it is in Japanese. So another timed exclusive that MS moneyhatted Namco for (like Eternal Sonata, Ace Combat 6).

Namco came out today and said it was a mistake and a 360 game only. I doubt that's true, tbh, but they gotta stay quite about timed exclusivity.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

gebx said:
bbsin said:

gebx said:
Hi Everyone,

#1 - Japanese gaming market is dying, Japanese developers need to branch out

Avoiding the Japanese market (which given the correct console, would still have the largest fanbase of JRPGs) isn't branching out. Supporting the 360 is NOT suspect, supporting the 360 EXCLUSIVELY is.

#2 - NA is Japan's least succesful market in terms of JRPG's

No it is not.

#3 - 360 is one of the strongest markets for NA

This is true, but as said many times before, this has nothing to do with the point that Namco Bandai would be still ignoring 12.6 million PS3 owners around the world. Is there a solid reason why 12.6 can be ignored and still make any business sense? B/c the PS3 is too hard to program for? Tekken6 and Naruto looks great so that can't be reason.

#4 - Trying to expand in NA with the 360 to reach a new audience and growing a new userbase is a good strategy

It is a good stratedy and no one should dispute that. But SquareEnix is doing the same thing by releasing Last Remnant on BOTH consoles, that means they get the 18 million western xbox360 users to work with ASWELL as the 10 million western PS3 users, all that without neglecting thier Japanese fanbase.

I guess Antartica would be Japan's weakest market...

Try Europe instead? many games Japanese games don't even see the light of day in Europe. Also, don't forget how JRPGs can do in America if the game is marketed well, it's not like JRPGs sell awful in the States. The point of the matter is that 3rd parties (Especially Japanese companies) would obviously benefit more with their games if they were released on BOTH the PS3 and 360, there's no argument to be made.

#1,3 and 4 comments really relate to the same thing...

That's because your 1,3, and 4 comments are tied into the same argument

Namco didn't believe PS3 ports could return a high enough return on investments. They're edging their bets on the American market to increase their sales, maybe they've even given up on the Japanese markets altogher. Why is Idolm@ster on the 360? well could be because Sony has singstar. Maybe Sony didn't even want idolmaster because it would of taken sales from singstar.

That's foolish to believe that Namco does not believe PS3 ports could return profit or has given up on the Japanese market. For one, the PS3 has exclusive Namco games aswell, so by your logic, we'd all be assuming that Tekken 6 would not be worth porting to the 360 because Namco would not profit on a 360 version. Secondly, based on vgchartz numbers, the PS3 version of a japanese centered game that's sold in Japan could very well outsell the 360 version 3-5 times the rate EVEN if the game is a crappy port. Third, Eternal Sonata is already being developed for the PS3, though we have no clue when it'll hit, but we still know it's coming.

As for singstar/idol master... that theory is flawed. Why would Sony not want a title that would bring them royalties and possibly sell some consoles? Are you saying that Sony also does not want Grid because it'll take away from GT5 sales? Or maybe Ninga Gaiden Sigma was a bad idea because Sony does not want it to compete with Heavenly Sword? There are too many examples that goes against that possibility for it to be taken seriously. But the real question is, why would Namco NOT want to release IdolMaster on a console that would produce more than 2 times the sales?

Also you mention 12.6 million, but that wasn't the userbase when these games where being developed or even released, the PS3 until 6-7 months ago was basically dead in the water. Add in the Blu Ray only users included in those numbers (the first couple months of the PS3 launch in Japan the hardware was outselling the games) probably scared the crap out of some developers.

Let's see... ToV was officially announced by Namco Bandai (less than 3 full months ago) after Eternal Sonata was already annouced to be ported to the PS3 (TGS07). Ever since the holidays of 2007 (5 and a half months ago) the PS3 picked up dramatically in sales and churned out a much more repectable install base and brigher future... Do you see where this is going? Why in the world would Namco decide to announce a port of a 360 exclusive title, get much more promising PS3 sales data, then decide that doing another port (of a more popular RPG) would not be worth it all of a sudden ? I honestly don't see what's so hard to grasp about Microsoft paying for timed exclusives, are you suggesting that Sony is alone in that catagory?

Around the Network

There really is no logic to releasing games popular in Japan on the 360 before the PS3 unless there's a monetary incentive.

The list is real as proven by Namco removing the PS3 version from the list probably at the behest of MS after the news started spreading on the internet. This is the same exact thing that happened with Eternal Sonata PS3 being listed, then removed after people found out then finally admitted months later by Namco, I expect the same to happen here.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

When they hell are Eternal Sonata and Ace Combat 6 gonna get here anyways...

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

EaglesEye379 said:
You can tell the PS3 fanboyism on these boards is already past its acceptable limit when people publically announce that they really want to play a game but wont because its not on a certain console.

When there is PS3 game out there that I really want to play, Ill buy a PS3. All these arguments about console wars should at least not pass the level of using your 'loyalties' to justify your gaming habits. (or at least dont admit publically that you are restricting yourself from your hobby because you are making yourself look silly)

It doesn't make sense to you people who own PS3s not wanting to buy a 360 for one or two games and just waiting for the PS3 version? It's called saving money. I'm buying the 360 version cause it comes out first but for people who don't have a 360 but only a PS3 this is good news.

akuma587 said:
When they hell are Eternal Sonata and Ace Combat 6 gonna get here anyways...

After timed exclusivity runs out, ES is probably this year.

ckmlb said:
EaglesEye379 said:
You can tell the PS3 fanboyism on these boards is already past its acceptable limit when people publically announce that they really want to play a game but wont because its not on a certain console.

When there is PS3 game out there that I really want to play, Ill buy a PS3. All these arguments about console wars should at least not pass the level of using your 'loyalties' to justify your gaming habits. (or at least dont admit publically that you are restricting yourself from your hobby because you are making yourself look silly)

It doesn't make sense to you people who own PS3s not wanting to buy a 360 for one or two games and just waiting for the PS3 version? It's called saving money. I'm buying the 360 version cause it comes out first but for people who don't have a 360 but only a PS3 this is good news.

Saving money is all fine and dandy, its something Im doing myself.

My point is there are comments on this thread saying they want to shift focus away from a genre of games. To me this says you are restricting yourself from your favourite genre for console wars reasons and is very lame. Cheering your console is more important than playing your favourite type of games? If you can wait then wait, but waiting while indicating this genre is something you play mostly is something else.