By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Fix this site for the Opera browser, please.

I've never had problems with Opera and this site. (running x86_64 version in linux)

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
exindguy said:

1. There's nothing "offensive" about the post--I even called it "nit-picky" which would be a dig at...myself.

2. Just because the Admin doesn't know the fix doesn't mean it isn't easy--it means he just may not know how to implement it. Also, pointing this out (that it's "Mickey Mouse" or easy) is a far, far cry from insulting someone unless you have an ego akin to a very delicate flower.

3. If it's been previously addressed (calpiotis claims he brought this up in multiple venues and heard nothing) it'd be great if someone would address it directly in one of these threads or reply to an email, yes? Is it 'insulting' that the Admin, who has put so much time into it (according to you), can't deign to reply? It isn't as if someone is going to rake him over the coals for trying and not being able to fix it, is it?

4. And I'll say it again: you are being needlessly-defensive and insulting because someone (horrors!) asked for something to be fixed. Since the Admin is probably of the mind to make some money on this site and we being the customer, I think it's fair that we ask for something like this to be fixed. Is that OK with you?

there is nothing defensive about calling someone ignorant when they don't know what you are talking about. I am not jumping on you for calling for a fix that I have championed before. I am jumping on you for talking out of your ass needlessly. It is not a quick fix. It is apparently a fairly complicated problem that has no easy solution. If you want to complain about a problem go ahead. I will help you with this one and try to work and find the root cause of it all. Your over the top ignorant claims that it is an easy quick fix annoy the shit out of me though. I can't stand it when people talk about stuff in an authoritative maner when they don't know what they are talking about.

I will try to dig up the thread where it was initially addressed but it won't tell you much. I, and others, got PM responses from ioi at the time. The basic response I got was he didn't know how to fix it. From what I gather he doesn't even know how this error could happen. It is very odd that this is an Opera specfic bug that occasionally people claim does not affect them.

Read what you wrote--that *is* defensive (we can argue semantics all night, though, if you like).

But let's just clarify this further: just because the person that's tackling the problem can't fix it doesn't mean it isn't an easy fix. I don't know about you, but I've made several mistakes in the past that have been *Mickey Mouse* errors that I hadn't picked up on because I was too close to the project (I call these 'face-palm' or 'd'oh' moments). When someone else not so aborbed in the nuts and bolts went over it, voila!, the error was discovered in less time than it took for me to compose this post (even though I'd been staring at it for hours). The point is, you're getting worked up (and, yes, defensive) at a harmless comment. Hell, you've said a lot worse than I have since this exchange began and I'm still not personally insulting you. Would you prefer I said you were over-reacting? Would that make it more acceptable?

Following on from those face-palm moments: I've run across similar, browser-specific, problems in the past and they've been remedied with little fuss (and, a few times, with the Admin/DB guy/MS guy, etc. doing the face-palm). In all those cases, the fixes have been "Mickey Mouse" or, if you prefer, "simple", "easy", or "painless".

Also, if it had already been addressed, would it have been so hard to say: "hey, look, it's been noted and we've attempted to deal with it to no avail. Maybe you could offer some insight on this and, if not, you're out of luck." Would that have been so difficult?

Note: if the Admin wants an outside party to look at the code and see if another set of eyes could ferret out the problem, that is a reasonable solution. However, I made the assumption that the Admin would not want to open up the guts of his site to the tinkering of a 3rd party he doesn't know--I know I'd have reservations against doing so myself which is why I didn't go "hey, how about you let me, some random guy on the net, go swimming in the entrails of your site to see what's up".

Anyway, I'll leave it be at this (you may continue this but it will be a monologue from this point forward). If someone  actually *does* want some help, I'm more than willing to lend a hand (hell, I might do it anyway--could be something odd with Opera that doesn't actually require anyone looking at anything proprietary at all).

ioi said:
@exindguy - I have responded to this in the past and have yet to understand the problem or think of a good long-term fix for it. This, I'm sorry to say, isn't at the top of my priority list since so few use Opera (and those who do can easily use another browser) but it is obviously something I'd like to find a fix for - especially if it is so "easy"... so if you are able to help then spill the beans rather than arguing with other members over nothing.

download oprah and look in the error console (it must have one).

Or just use Firefox and look in the error console, there are a lot of messages poping up on your site. Onlong forum pages even an error:

Error: spitHere is not defined
Source File: http://vgchartz.us.intellitxt.com/v3/spit.jsp?cn=2&ipid=12082&sid=b14e5e99311eda31ca54dee678435d2a&nbc=0&enc=&pagecl=34506&cc=de&rcc=de&reg=02&dma=0&city=Schwabach&dfr=false&fdt=0&ign86=false&cf=3&mk=3&kwpn=1&ppp=false&kwpp=-1&kwp=0&si=1&dfc=0&so=0&adi=0&irb=0&ims=2&iek=0&iel=2&ieak=0&ieix=true&iedm=0&ttxt=VGChartz.com%20%7C%20Official%20Mario%20Kart%20Wii%20European%20GP%20League&auat=0&lpgv=0&ddate=&pvu=B0FE9BA2239B408699D027B0F6F2E74E&pvm=12aac08f7717306545976d8ab2327b1c&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vgchartz.com%2Fforum%2Fthread.php%3Fstart%3D0%26id%3D24353
Line: 21

Javascript, stylesheets, a lot off thing are not excaclty w3c conform. I would fix the stylesheet problems, because thats also something where it might come from.

exindguy said:

Read what you wrote--that *is* defensive (we can argue semantics all night, though, if you like).

But let's just clarify this further: just because the person that's tackling the problem can't fix it doesn't mean it isn't an easy fix. I don't know about you, but I've made several mistakes in the past that have been *Mickey Mouse* errors that I hadn't picked up on because I was too close to the project (I call these 'face-palm' or 'd'oh' moments). When someone else not so aborbed in the nuts and bolts went over it, voila!, the error was discovered in less time than it took for me to compose this post (even though I'd been staring at it for hours). The point is, you're getting worked up (and, yes, defensive) at a harmless comment. Hell, you've said a lot worse than I have since this exchange began and I'm still not personally insulting you. Would you prefer I said you were over-reacting? Would that make it more acceptable?

Where have I personally insulted you? I have done nothing but call you ignorant on a subject you have shown no knowledge of. I have insulted what you said, and how you said it but never you. Was I a bit defensive of the site? Probably. You were also a bit insulting and demeaning in your post. By the by, when I get worked up there is way more than this. This is me getting bored EV training my Blissey and replying to an overly arrogant new poster. If I were worked up there would be three page diatribes over why you were wrong.

@exindguy - I have responded to this in the past and have yet to understand the problem or think of a good long-term fix for it. This, I'm sorry to say, isn't at the top of my priority list since so few use Opera (and those who do can easily use another browser) but it is obviously something I'd like to find a fix for - especially if it is so "easy"... so if you are able to help then spill the beans rather than arguing with other members over nothing.

Understand from what perspective? I can replicate and explain from a user perspective why everything happens. It seems like I could almost explain it if I had the bare minimum in understanding of how web browsers actually work. 

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

ioi said:
Indeed, but these are not "trivial" things

Thats the response I was expecting. I always love hearing it for some reason. Why is it programers always put trivial in quotes when using it though? The response I am used to is it requires a "non-trivial" change in the code. You code monkeys are an oddly similar bunch.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
ioi said:
Indeed, but these are not "trivial" things

Warning: Expected color but found '#999999E'. Error in parsing value for property 'color'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://vgchartz.com/includes/vg2.css
Line: 540

----- Oh yes, hard to fix! ------

Warning: Unknown property 'word-wrap'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.vgchartz.com/
Line: 0

---- hmmmm that sounds like ie code, do I have to get that with my firefox (php brower detection?)----

Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'float'. Declaration dropped.
Line: 675

----- http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#float ---

Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'display'. Declaration dropped.
Line: 155

---- http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#display ----

Warning: Element referenced by ID/NAME in the global scope. Use W3C standard document.getElementById() instead.
Source File: http://vgchartz.com/includes/functions_v3.js
Line: 16

---- Pain in the ass, I know, but well, its standard ----

Edit: Oh and is there a reason to give out this javascript on every page?

http://vgchartz.com/photos/multifile.js 

There's an odd problem with Safari, that first occurred some weeks ago:
When I mouse-over one of the menu entries ("Home News Games Charts..."), all sub menues ("Million-Sellers Database... " are overlapping at the left side, so that I can only click them all at once. So currently I'm opening Firefox if I want to search the database, for example.

OSX 10.4.11 (Intel)
Safari 3.1.1

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

Wow! All these seem so technical but I am really pleased to know that this problem is being addressed. I am also pleased to see the site's owner, Ioi, to take part in this discussion.

From my little understanding I realise that the Opera problem could be a specifically language coding problem on behalf of the site.

Could this be temporarily resolved by allowing all users to see 30 posts per page instead of 50?

I am sure wii owners who visit this site may be a minority but nevertheless, I would also like to add this information.

The disappearance of the threads is not the only problem that I encounter ONLY on this site through my wii's opera. Vgchartz is the only site on the World Wide Web that will not allow by pressing the 2 button on the wiimote to transform it on a single zoom-in page. (at least from many sites I visit)

wii number: 8166 7045 0170 7783 (don't forget to inform me if you add me)

I also have to add unfortunately that shortly I will not have the chance to read the outcome of this wonderful conversation due to the above mentioned problems. I am even amazed that it gets possible to read so many posts just on one thread.

:(

wii number: 8166 7045 0170 7783 (don't forget to inform me if you add me)

*Gets in before impossible*

@clapiotis - But that still won't fix the issues with non-thread pages. The problem also exists on some game pages, and other pages around the site (for example, I am unable to view the million sellers).