By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Fix this site for the Opera browser, please.

KohlyKohl said:
Which version of Opera are you using? I can not find any problems with Opera 9.50b, Ubuntu and 64 Bit.

That is interesting. I tried using Opera 9.52 on my linux box and it still had issues. It was a 32-bit debian based build (Mepis) rather than 64 though.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

My PC is broken so I use my Wii's opera. I never encounter any problem, only on this site. Threads with over 40 replies don't appear or appear for 2 seconds and then disappear. Threads with multiple pages can't be seen apart from the last page having less than 40 replies.

That basically means that if more people write on this thread sooner or later I (and all the other Wii Opera users) won't be able to see it anymore, forever.

wii number: 8166 7045 0170 7783 (don't forget to inform me if you add me)

Gnizmo said:
exindguy said:

Could be and is but thanks for your useless--and needlessly-defensive--post. 

Your post was needlessly offensive, and ignorant at best. I don't see a fix for it posted, nor do I see you claiming that you have ever seen the website code. The problem exists on all parts of the site, and ioi has tried to fix it. He has put a lot of work into this site and you arrogantly insult him for no reason and with no real knowledge of the situation.

1. There's nothing "offensive" about the post--I even called it "nit-picky" which would be a dig at...myself.

2. Just because the Admin doesn't know the fix doesn't mean it isn't easy--it means he just may not know how to implement it. Also, pointing this out (that it's "Mickey Mouse" or easy) is a far, far cry from insulting someone unless you have an ego akin to a very delicate flower.

3. If it's been previously addressed (calpiotis claims he brought this up in multiple venues and heard nothing) it'd be great if someone would address it directly in one of these threads or reply to an email, yes? Is it 'insulting' that the Admin, who has put so much time into it (according to you), can't deign to reply? It isn't as if someone is going to rake him over the coals for trying and not being able to fix it, is it?

4. And I'll say it again: you are being needlessly-defensive and insulting because someone (horrors!) asked for something to be fixed. Since the Admin is probably of the mind to make some money on this site and we being the customer, I think it's fair that we ask for something like this to be fixed. Is that OK with you?

I wish I new some coding in order to help but it's Greek to me :)

exindguy said:

1. There's nothing "offensive" about the post--I even called it "nit-picky" which would be a dig at...myself.

2. Just because the Admin doesn't know the fix doesn't mean it isn't easy--it means he just may not know how to implement it. Also, pointing this out (that it's "Mickey Mouse" or easy) is a far, far cry from insulting someone unless you have an ego akin to a very delicate flower.

3. If it's been previously addressed (calpiotis claims he brought this up in multiple venues and heard nothing) it'd be great if someone would address it directly in one of these threads or reply to an email, yes? Is it 'insulting' that the Admin, who has put so much time into it (according to you), can't deign to reply? It isn't as if someone is going to rake him over the coals for trying and not being able to fix it, is it?

4. And I'll say it again: you are being needlessly-defensive and insulting because someone (horrors!) asked for something to be fixed. Since the Admin is probably of the mind to make some money on this site and we being the customer, I think it's fair that we ask for something like this to be fixed. Is that OK with you?

there is nothing defensive about calling someone ignorant when they don't know what you are talking about. I am not jumping on you for calling for a fix that I have championed before. I am jumping on you for talking out of your ass needlessly. It is not a quick fix. It is apparently a fairly complicated problem that has no easy solution. If you want to complain about a problem go ahead. I will help you with this one and try to work and find the root cause of it all. Your over the top ignorant claims that it is an easy quick fix annoy the shit out of me though. I can't stand it when people talk about stuff in an authoritative maner when they don't know what they are talking about.

I will try to dig up the thread where it was initially addressed but it won't tell you much. I, and others, got PM responses from ioi at the time. The basic response I got was he didn't know how to fix it. From what I gather he doesn't even know how this error could happen. It is very odd that this is an Opera specfic bug that occasionally people claim does not affect them.

Around the Network

In a thread of mine someone had the following idea:

→ To have an option on every page of a thread to choose the number of the replies to be shown,

☆ Would this be an easy alternative solution until they manage to isolate the cause of the Opera problem?

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=19428 The thread ioi responded to.

And yes giving the user the option to choose how many posts per page would help alleviate the problem a lot. I have suggested it a few times I think. It is a band-aid fix at best of course, but it might help alleviate the annoyance.

I was able to read the whole thread and Ioi's response. Hoooraaaay! :)

1. This is a problem that has been going on for 2 months!

2. Gnizmo, you seemed a little upset too that you didn't get a reply soon. :)

3. I am not an expert but I am not entirely convinced from the given answers that it is just an Opera problem (it may be though)

4. I see that the idea of being able to reduce the posts per page has already been addressed but it could go to number 30 not 10.

I think having the option to choose between either 30 or 50 posts visible on one page would reduce this issue dramatically - provided such an option would be technically possible.

Opera PC and Wii users would be happy and ioi wouldn´t have to spend more time on looking into this issue.

The issue would still exist for other parts of the website, but it would greatly allieviate the problem.

@Clap: Look at the time stamps on my posts. It took me near a week to get a response before I started getting annoyed, and even then I was just looking for somone to say we know the bug exists.