By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone Bought FF CC: My Life as a King yet?

I want it mostly because I love the crystal chronicles series it has the style of the old FF games but I'm not 100% sure about this game just yet I want to read up a bit more on it before I get it, the thing I'm thinking about is I could get lost winds and defend your castle for 15 which both look pretty sweet.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
exindguy said:
.:Dark Prince:. said:
I would like to try it if the DLC was real, but most of the downloadable content is already in the file and by paying for it as DLC it just unlocks it. Boo SE!

I don't like paying for 'additional' content but are you actually saying you'd be willing to pay for it if you downloaded it separately? Sounds like a semantic difference to me...

That said, you're still getting a very, very good deal if you go for the full package--it's about $30 for a game that would have been $50 at retail (yes, there is sufficient content so justify that price tag). Granted, you don't get a box, disc or proper manual but I'll take the $20.

As far as future DLC goes, I think they're walking a bit of a tightrope in thinking that people are going to be playing this game for months and months and/or the newer content is going to be so compelling that you're going to want to start playing it again, so it's really a double-edged sword past the initial launch window (typically I am not the kind of gamer that goes back to games after the initial thrill is gone unless we're talking years later).

Yes, i like the game enough to pay for DLC. But having the DLC in the original file and keeping it locked so whoever buys it has to pay to get it? No, i won't even touch the DLC.

i'm ok with the extra downloadables in this case because you only need to buy as much as you want to play, and they actually make the downloadables worth the cost here. I'm afraid that it might not be the case in the future though.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

@Dark Prince: I am pretty sure that the DLC is actual added content, although it wouldn't have been too difficult for them to include the DLC with the game when it released. The small size of the DLC is just how compressed the data they use is. Especially since most of the added on-pack that's not the Race contains a minimum of 3 new dungeons.

Edit:   Also, I cannot wait until I beat the game so I can get Blizzard, Thunder, Antidote, Phoenix Down that appears on a harder difficulty in a new game+. Now that I beat the race dungeons, their housing will be unlocked in the new game+.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

I got it, very fun, buy it.

Around the Network

If you like games like this, it's very worth it.. I was up til 5 am yesterday playing it D:
I'm sorta addicted to it. But yeah it depends on what kinda games you like.. I just love simulation games.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
I want it mostly because I love the crystal chronicles series it has the style of the old FF games but I'm not 100% sure about this game just yet I want to read up a bit more on it before I get it, the thing I'm thinking about is I could get lost winds and defend your castle for 15 which both look pretty sweet.

Look at it this way: I beat Lost Winds in ~2.5 hours and it has precisely zero replay value (I know someone will now jump on and torch me for saying this, but so be it). It was a blast while it lasted but I don't see going back to it anytime in the near-future (or, hell, ever). That was $10 for that time which is basically what a movie ticket cost me soI figure I got my money's-worth out of it.

As for Defend Your Castle, most of its joy comes from the multi-player aspect (local, at that) and it's also available, for free!, on the net (yes, I know, it's not as pretty). Still it is only $5--about the cost of a Big Mac meal at McDonalds--so you can hardly go wrong there, but...

As for FFCC, well, I put in about 6 hours last night (haven't had time to play today, *sigh*) and I spent 30 bucks on it (that's with the various bits of DLC) and got to the beginning of chapter 3 with plenty left to go. I've now gotten 3 movies-worth out of it, and the value of the game is such (as I noted above) that you're getting a real bargain since you'd likely have paid $50 for this game had it come in a box and been quite pleased with it. Even better, you can spend half that and still get, essentially, the same experience (although, I imagine, it'd be more challenging at the lower pricepoint--which isn't a bad thing!).

So it comes down to:

$15: Lost Winds (done in 3 hours, tops); Defend Your Castle (only if you have friends nearby)

*or*

$15: Very high production value Wii game (not just DL game, but of all existing Wii titles, period), lots and lots of gameplay (from what I can gather from various postings, it's at least a 10-15 hour game on the first pass) and you get access to your beloved FFCC-style universe.

Choice seems pretty obvious to me

Note: I'd still make sure I bought Lost Winds at some point, but if you can only have one (and, in a way, it pains me to say this since Frontier needs your cash more than SE) go with FFCC. You can blame me later if you don't love it  

takkxyz said:

@Dark Prince: I am pretty sure that the DLC is actual added content, although it wouldn't have been too difficult for them to include the DLC with the game when it released. The small size of the DLC is just how compressed the data they use is. Especially since most of the added on-pack that's not the Race contains a minimum of 3 new dungeons.

Edit: Also, I cannot wait until I beat the game so I can get Blizzard, Thunder, Antidote, Phoenix Down that appears on a harder difficulty in a new game+. Now that I beat the race dungeons, their housing will be unlocked in the new game+.

I haven't legally bought the game yet so i got it using a torrent. That torrent's name is this

UNLOCKED.Final.Fantasy.Crystal.Chronicles.My.Life.as.a.King.WiiWare.NTSC.VC.Wii

Guess what the UNLOCKED stands for :P

I'm not saying that the game has no DL, it's just that most of the DLC is not actually DLC. I should know since i have some of the content that i'm supposed to download extra without actually downloading.

exindguy said:

I'd also state that the graphics and the music are some of the best on Wii to date (a plus for SE but a big slap at most other Wii developers)

Uhm, how many other Wii games have you played?  This isn't really even in the running from what I've seen.

@topic,

Got a lot further tonight and the more I play the more addicted I'm getting.  Pretty much once I got the tavern I started getting into it.  Spoiler:--->The tavern lets you create parties with your adventurers, VERY useful!<---.  My advice is to set yourself an alarm if you'll need to get up in the morning.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
exindguy said:

I'd also state that the graphics and the music are some of the best on Wii to date (a plus for SE but a big slap at most other Wii developers)

Uhm, how many other Wii games have you played?  This isn't really even in the running from what I've seen.

Pretty much all of them (and all of the graphical 'heavy-hitters', such as they are). A lot of Wii games have better poly counts and more effects, but I'd say I prefer the look on display here: clean and sharp over effects-laden (to ill use) and/or murky textures, and the actual art style itself is very conducive to it all. I will give this to SE (even though I'm not ordinarily the biggest fan of their work): they sure do know how to paint a pretty picture.