By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Crystal Bearers

What are S-E doing with this game? It's been close to squat all we've heard from them in the last year.

So I'm bringing it to everyones attention, hoping that we maybe see something from it come E3 this year.

Plot

The game director wanted to make "an exhilarating tale of this great hero set against sweeping blue skies", which influenced many decisions in game design and story.

Setting

The timezone in this game is the most deep into the future of the Crystal Chronicles franchise, the game takes place in the same world as Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, populated by four races. In March 2008, an official advertising article about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates noted that the Nintendo DS installment "sets the stage" for The Crystal Bearers.

Development

The Crystal Bearers is intended to be a more "single-player experience", as opposed to the GameCube installment which focused on cooperative play. The game director stated he wants a more "world weary" protagonist, and wanted him to seem rugged, which influenced the hair design of the character. The game is intended to feature a more "mature" design to help bolster the heroic structure of the story.

The game's existence was announced at E3 2005  and at E3 2006 a short pre-rendered teaser trailer was included within a Wii games compilation video. In May of 2007 a new trailer including gameplay was released and a few interviews with the developers were given. Since then no further information about the game has been given. Crystal Bearers has had no presence at recent Square Enix events or on the Square Enix website (the Crystal Chronicles developer blog has not made mention of Crystal Bearers since June 6, 2007 ") coupled with the developers of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King refusing to comment when asked about the status of The Crystal Bearers at the Game Developers Conference of February 2008, stating only that the public should "wait for a press release."

In November 2008, in response to a section in the December 2008 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly stating that the game had been "quietly cancelled" Square Enix released a statement confirming that the game had not been cancelled and that they fully intend to release it, although no release date could be given. 

In Early December 2008, it was announced that a new trailer for the game would be packaged with the game 'Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time'...

Around the Network

My guess is either that The Crystal Bearers isn't getting enough resources from SE in order to be completed in a timely manner or SE is merely following Nintendo's strategy of not telling their games until it's finally ready to be released. It's more likely the latter.

Chill. S-E will take their time with their games. They've always have and always will. If you want a polish game, then you will have to wait.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
totalwar23 said:
My guess is either that The Crystal Bearers isn't getting enough resources from SE in order to be completed in a timely manner or SE is merely following Nintendo's strategy of not telling their games until it's finally ready to be released. It's more likely the latter.

I'm guessing the latter. They didn't only stop showing media for this game, but also for 13/v13 and DQ. I've think they learned from 12 that they shouldn't blow their load too early.

But yeah, that better bloody be the reason. I'd hate for this game to be on hiatus. 

Soriku said:
Also, I love the graphics and art style! :) I can't wait for this game. Seems like FF x KH.

Agreed. But what are the chances of them changing it again with all the speculation going around that S-E are taking this game more "seriously" with Nintendo's recent success.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
Chill. S-E will take their time with their games. They've always have and always will. If you want a polish game, then you will have to wait.

Even EA and Activision have been learning that lesson. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

This game better have more information coming at E3. It was my most hyped wii game, but sadly we probably know more about kid icarus(not announced by nintendo to the public yet) than this game.

vdoesntforgive said:
totalwar23 said:

I'm guessing the latter. They didn't only stop showing media for this game, but also for 13/v13 and DQ. I've think they learned from 12 that they shouldn't blow their load too early.

But yeah, that better bloody be the reason. I'd hate for this game to be on hiatus.

They didn't rush FFXII. They delayed that a lot. Or is that what you mean?

vdoesntforgive said:
Soriku said:
Also, I love the graphics and art style! :) I can't wait for this game. Seems like FF x KH.

Agreed. But what are the chances of them changing it again with all the speculation going around that S-E are taking this game more "seriously" with Nintendo's recent success.

Well unless that video is CG, I'd say it's already more than what the GC can do, so it doesn't need that much more polish. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
vdoesntforgive said:
totalwar23 said:

vdoesntforgive said:
Soriku said:

Well unless that video is CG, I'd say it's already more than what the GC can do, so it doesn't need that much more polish. 

I believe that was only the english version because of the translations. The japanese version was out a year before the english one.

LordTheNightKnight said:

Yep. They announced the game 5 years before it was released here in Europe, which was a massive mistake.