By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does everyone hate FF VIII?

i don't hate it
it's ok

Around the Network

Final Fantasy 8 was a fantastic game, it was just very unconventional for the series, and that's not always a good thing. I thought the story was fantastic (up to that really retarded point in Disc 2, although the disc ending was absolutely gorgeous). The Junction system was great, but way too easily abusable (Disc 2 9,999 Health Squall anyone?). The equipment system was pretty useless, it was much more useful to turn items into cards or magic than to actually make them into new equipment. And some of the materials were tough as balls to find.

Regardless, besides Disc 4, which is shorter than ________, each disc is packed full of a great story and fun battles. The game is fun beyond belief, it just has some minor parts of the stories that were really stupid, and a system where magic is more useful when junctioned to your weapons than actually used on enemies.

Ignore

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Congratulations Bladycor, you quoted yourself. Now I have to to twice the editing.

*Sigh*

Don't worry Montana, I got your back. Ironically, I hit 'quote' meaning to hit 'edit', since I realized I'd better black out the spoilers, only to discover you already had.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

The gameplay - from equipment to Junctions to leveling to Limits - was utterly broken. FFVII wasn't exactly groundbreaking in that sense, but at least it worked.

And yeah, terribly long, unskippable cutscenes. It got to the point where I just didn't want to use GFs in battle, because I'd fall asleep and wake up to a Game Over screen.

Desroko said:
The gameplay - from equipment to Junctions to leveling to Limits - was utterly broken. FFVII wasn't exactly groundbreaking in that sense, but at least it worked.

This guy nailed it. The storyline was also pretty awful, but that was the lesser of the two evils.

I love FF8. I started replaying it a few months ago on PSP via remote play. And the reason I wanted to replay it WAS FOR THE SPACE SCENE. How can you not like the space scene?

The love stories between Squall and Rinoa is one of those stories that fill me with... what's that word... oh yeah, emotion.

I loved the Drawing. Once you can draw Ultima, damn do you become powerful. I don't think I ever actually cast a spell, they were too useful for status.

Dogs Rule said:
I love FF8. I started replaying it a few months ago on PSP via remote play. And the reason I wanted to replay it WAS FOR THE SPACE SCENE. How can you not like the space scene?

The love stories between Squall and Rinoa is one of those stories that fill me with... what's that word... oh yeah, emotion.

I loved the Drawing. Once you can draw Ultima, damn do you become powerful. I don't think I ever actually cast a spell, they were too useful for status.

a lot of people said that the romance between Squall and Rinoa was forced and was too Romeo and Juliet-esque

FF8 is my favourite final fantasy.

I think most people didn't like it because it was the first time that the love story was the main plot point in the story and not a side story.

A few people didn't like the draw system either (which I loved because I hate the whole MP concept) and squall isn't exactly the most manly hero (not that cloud strife was either, but people don't seem to notice that).