By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does everyone hate FF VIII?

I like FF8 although the gameplay just sucks once it goes to customizing your character's junctions. If I make one more draw imma go end my misery and jump off a building. :P

Around the Network
CAL4M1TY said:
FF8 is my favourite final fantasy.

I think most people didn't like it because it was the first time that the love story was the main plot point in the story and not a side story.

A few people didn't like the draw system either (which I loved because I hate the whole MP concept) and squall isn't exactly the most manly hero (not that cloud strife was either, but people don't seem to notice that).

The problem isn't that the love story takes center stage; it's that it's predicatble, cliche, and boring. I'm a sucker for romance plotlines, and FF 8's alternately bored me to tears and made me embarrassed to be playing the game.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Riachu said:
ToastyJaguar said:
Oh i loved this game! I thought 9 wasn't as good, but i thought 10 was super fantastic awesome.

Aww...the fond memories I had of FFX-great story, solid cast of characters, good battle system

QFT!

i hated the summoning controls, to beat pretty much any hard boss you had to constantly summon cuz your sword strength wasn't ever enough.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

not everyone hates it, one of my mates loves it, but you say you love the story, and there is where one of the problems is, cause if there is one thing not good about the game it's it's story, with the main villains kicking in at the end, so you haven't got any connection to them or feelings for or against them like you have with Sephiroth, Kafka or Krelian..

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

I hated the draw system.

Personally, VIII was my favourite of the PS1 era, closely followed by IX. Like many here would tell you, it was cliche, predictable, tedious (draw system), but I absolutely loved it

so the story can not tip the story of VII, Xenogears, Chrono Cross or Suikoden, and the characters, let's be honest, Laguna, Squall, Zell and Seifer are no way original and legendary like Cloud, Vincent, Tifa, Aeris, Citan, Krelian, Sephiroth, Cid Highwind, Rufus, Vivi, Victor, Flik, or Delita or Thunder God Cid..

''Hadouken!''

Its just plain boring.  The draw system wasn't very good, and the GF system wasn't that good either.  The story most of the time was a big yawn fest too.  I mean I didn't hate the game, but it took me two years to beat it because I got so bored.  The ending was pretty good though I must say.  The characters sucked for the most part too, but not as much as the FF X characters.

Its one of the worst of the series. FF I, IV, VI, VII, IX, X, and XII are all better than it.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

but! I say also, it is a good game, it is a good rpg, but it just comes a little too short to be considered a great rpg like VII, Xenogears, Tactics, Breath of Fire III and Suikoden I and II on the PSX, but nonetheless, it sure is a nice game..

''Hadouken!''