By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - wow, boom blox is a surprising frikkin awesome game.

Ari_Gold said:
The_vagabond7 said:
For the guy saying "i can't spend 50 dollars on a puzzle game" I only ask why not?

The single player mode in this game will be longer than many action games (I've been playing 2 hours, and have only barely scratched the surface, (I doubt I'm even 10% of the way through it), the multiplayer as fun and deep as any other game's multiplayer. This isn't a tetris clone, or lumines with cute characters. This is an extremely deep, thought provoking, and time consuming game with incredible replay value since you can create or download new levels. I thought 50 dollars was steep too, but now that I have it I see that it is worth every penny. It's simply a huge and engaging game with lots of personality.

So anybody that's unsure about buying a puzzle game for full price, don't be. Unlike the sort of puzzle game we've gotten accustomed too that is just a rehashed old 2d puzzle game concept with some art work and techno music slapped on it, this is a fully realized awesome concept with a ton of content and fully fleshed out multiplayer mode. This is much bigger than peggle, lumines, puzzle quest, or book worm. This game has some heft.

$50 is too much for a puzzle game, you could buy Lumines, Puzzle Quest, Crush, Peggle, Echochrome or any other puzzle game combined for less than that price.

And yet, all those games mentioned put together don't offer the same level of variety, depth, replay value, length, or multiplayer that this single one does. They simply don't have the same scope of this game. It really shouldn't even belong in the same catagory as these other ones. Boom Blox is a huge playground limited by only your imagination and skill with the editor, with a vast and varied single player mode. I can't emphasize enough how varied the single player is. From a wide variety of jenga like stages where you have to remove a single block at a time, without disturbing some precariously built structure, to missions where you must destroy an entire castle by throwing one ball, or to odd golf like stages where you must knock one block into a series of towers with a limited number of tries. The more I play, the more possibilities seem to be opened.

Edit:I never know what they will do next. I'm currently in a series of stages where I must move blocks around, altering the level in order to let one little AI character get from one end to the other. Structures are precarious, filled with bombs, or intricately constructed so that I have to be very careful as to what I move, how I move it, and in what order I move it in. There is also a time limit on these stages. The further I get, the more varied the challenges become. I honestly don't know what they will think of next. 

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

For the record, single player is amazing. Co-op will replace every other Wii party game you own. It's brilliant squared.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

Man, I'm playing through point mode and I'm just stuck on the plumber one. I got just below 160 points once but, main, 170 just seems impossible.

I was going to make a video of that level but I can't find my Wii SD cables (so I can't connect it to my computer) and I can't find my camera. Oh well.

yeah, that plumber level was a pain. It took me a many a try in order to beat it. Right now I'm on the grabbing part of explore mode, stuck on a stage where I have to remove a bare minimum of 19 blocks without making the top grey block fall off, and I lose a point for every regular block that falls that I didn't pull myself. It's freaking insane, the best I've done was 18 and I nearly killed myself because I was only one short. I can only imagine how hard the second set of explore stages will be.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Whew, I picked up Boom Blox, played a bunch of multiplayer, and couldn't put the game down until I finished the (non-advanced) explore mode.

Have you guys checked the unlockables? All sorts of cool tools become available if you're hardcore enough to get all gold medals in particular modes. Getting gold on all those Jenga-type puzzles might just destroy me.

All baby cows are lost!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Yes!!! I agree with you guys. This game is very fun. I'm trying to not play it that much in order to not ruin it ( I do the to too many good games).

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

The_vagabond7 said:

It really makes me miss the old days where there were lots of well made puzzle games like Tetrisphere and Blast Corps.

I was thinking the same thing. Does anyone remember Blast Corps? Boom Blox is quite like it. The gameplay itself is completelty different, but it's also mostly about destruction and extremely original. It feels like an unofficial successor.

i loved blast corps. i may have to check this game out after all this praise.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

I bought this earlier today.. i hate the fact that i've only spent 10 mins on it